Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Another hero :$

In my defence....

Essendon will definitely beat Carlton in the 2011 EF...they're just better at both ends...

download.jpg

huddler

Senior List
Feb 5, 2011
Melbourne via Ireland
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtic, Northcote Park
11 scoring shots from 30 entries is only 36% versus the WC 25 from 55 at 45%
I think the journo had some valid points drawing those stats out - its a concern of mine
The fact we kicked reasonably straight and they didn't just hid the fact we fielded a team 10 goals worse then theirs - not really concerned - our choice to do that

Did the journo point out that the biggest concern - lack of forward entries - from memory that was a concern last year and probably why we went for Boekhurst. Lets hope Cripps gives us more inside possessions and we start to minimise turnovers from blind kicks (less Robinson might help in that area)

Very easy to bash the journos but I reckon if they make valid points then I think the only thing for the Blues to do is to field a stronger team and maybe tweak the game plan - lets hope for all of us they start to do that

I for one think we have the makings of a better year than last year

Fair enough. I reckon if you're going to have a pop at a forward line - and it was our forward line who were clearly singled out - then you'd avoid backing it with stats that shows said forward line to have been more efficient than their opposition in terms of goals to inside 50's!

The journo didn't have a go at the entries. The article was predicated solely on the paucity of forward efficiency from the Blue team.

You reckon it's easy to bash journos?? Seems it's quite easy for them to bash players, even citing stats that prove the theme of their entire article wrong in the process!!

Moe B

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
We miss out on a lot of interaction that the other boards have because we seem to be so trigger happy in running them out of here.
I'm not even allowed to be critical of our own players without our people getting cranky whether I'm right or wrong... When I found BF I said something negative about Walker and it felt like my life had changed from the replies I was getting... We need to chill I reckon!!

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
When I found BF I said something negative about Walker and it felt like my life had changed from the replies I was getting...

If it was about his hat, Moe, fair enough...

Biggest story out of PP since Ronald Dale came over...

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I'm not even allowed to be critical of our own players without our people getting cranky whether I'm right or wrong... When I found BF I said something negative about Walker and it felt like my life had changed from the replies I was getting... We need to chill I reckon!!
I think people get cranky at others when they say 'if so-and-so is in our best 22, we suck' and base that comment on 'the vibe'. If posts are articulated a bit more and evidence given (even qualitiative/anecdotal stuff) then people are a bit more receptive. They might still disagree, but I think the attitude you get will be less so.

I'm sure you have been around forums long enough to see 'those posters' who just have a thing against a player and will rubbish them endlessly until their careers are over. I reckon people are wary of that too.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
And I trolled the Bummers, I got banned...twice...

It's how the world works.

Yeah they are very touchy at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moe B

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I think people get cranky at others when they say 'if so-and-so is in our best 22, we suck' and base that comment on 'the vibe'. If posts are articulated a bit more and evidence given (even qualitiative/anecdotal stuff) then people are a bit more receptive. They might still disagree, but I think the attitude you get will be less so.

I'm sure you have been around forums long enough to see 'those posters' who just have a thing against a player and will rubbish them endlessly until their careers are over. I reckon people are wary of that too.
At the end of the day we all support the same team but its ok to be critical of the players regardless if we agree or not hence the reason this is an opinion thread... But to get cranky over somebody else's opinion is pure silly even if he has no evidence or stats, discussing is definitely ok and after all that's what BF is about I think and having a laugh ovcourse!! :)

NavyBlue5

All Australian
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

I think that's this boards biggest problem. It's generally a great place, but too often posters are shut down for criticising a player or the team which in turn defuses discussions. I don't post much, but I enjoy reading debates and I feel like any negativity is frowned upon in here.

Anyway, it's almost round 1! :)

Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair enough. I reckon if you're going to have a pop at a forward line - and it was our forward line who were clearly singled out - then you'd avoid backing it with stats that shows said forward line to have been more efficient than their opposition in terms of goals to inside 50's!

The journo didn't have a go at the entries. The article was predicated solely on the paucity of forward efficiency from the Blue team.

You reckon it's easy to bash journos?? Seems it's quite easy for them to bash players, even citing stats that prove the theme of their entire article wrong in the process!!
That's the problem with 24/7 journalism its quantity not quality - probably why we are on big footy - looking for something original or something that reinforces our own views

kjr8

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps not. In that respect Tom may never be the complete footballer, but then not many players truly achieve that. (Even Juddy has had his kicking questioned from time to time.)
As long as Belly is in a role which capitalizes on his attributes and minimises his shortcomings, he's bound to be an asset. His injury last year came just as he was enjoying a patch of very good footy. He'll get back there, I'm sure.
I love him around goals. He can pounce on the ball and move with the grace, ferocity and power of a big cat. Similarly, his tackles remind me of a large predator mowing down it's prey. Well worth persisting with as an attacking mid/half forward.
Think the issue is that he refuses to recognise his shortcomings

So many positives to take away. The kids would have learnt a ton in the midfield.
The kids (and not-so kids) playing in the middle probably have never endured that kind of attention from taggers or first-pick opponents. They were bound to be on the back foot all night. You'd like to think they'd learn a lot from it though.

BazzaBlue

Team Captain
Jan 28, 2015
An English Pub
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Came into the hood looking for trouble..

got a cap popped in its ass.......

...and if we don't let these hoodlums into the hood we won't get the opportunity to "pop said cap in said ass"

And we should defend their right to express their opinion...in my opinion - but we should expect some degree of evidence for an opinion. Where has blind faith got anyone right? ;)

At the end of the day we all support the same team but its ok to be critical of the players regardless if we agree or not hence the reason this is an opinion thread... But to get cranky over somebody else's opinion is pure silly even if he has no evidence or stats, discussing is definitely ok and after all that's what BF is about I think and having a laugh ovcourse!! :)

I think it is fine to be upset or be offended about someone's opinion - I don't think we can choose what upsets us or what we are offended by as much as we can walk out into the street and love the first person we see. Therefore everyone has the right to take offence. However, we can choose how to respond. This takes me back to my original point. We can respond by ridiculing idiocy through rational debate, humour or whatever and show it for what it is (and we have a duty when it comes to the others and *! ;) ). If you don't give idiots the opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot then perhaps their idiocy will fester!

I don't envy forum moderation and understand it must be difficult to balance good discussion with trolling as much as it seems difficult for people to not feed trolls. You only have to read youtube comments to see how online discussions can end up without moderation...

Anyway that is my 200 cents....

Moe B

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Yo
...and if we don't let these hoodlums into the hood we won't get the opportunity to "pop said cap in said ass"

And we should defend their right to express their opinion...in my opinion - but we should expect some degree of evidence for an opinion. Where has blind faith got anyone right? ;)

I think it is fine to be upset or be offended about someone's opinion - I don't think we can choose what upsets us or what we are offended by as much as we can walk out into the street and love the first person we see. Therefore everyone has the right to take offence. However, we can choose how to respond. This takes me back to my original point. We can respond by ridiculing idiocy through rational debate, humour or whatever and show it for what it is (and we have a duty when it comes to the others and *! ;) ). If you don't give idiots the opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot then perhaps their idiocy will fester!

I don't envy forum moderation and understand it must be difficult to balance good discussion with trolling as much as it seems difficult for people to not feed trolls. You only have to read youtube comments to see how online discussions can end up without moderation...

Anyway that is my 200 cents....
YouTube comments are the biggest joke out there, its like you have to pass an ignorance test to be eligible to comment... I don't even know why I read them after watching the clip and you're right, you can't choose what offends or upsets you but you can learn to let things go when you realize the person you are speaking to is a lost cause and that you're point most certainly won't make it across! Standing up for what you believe in I have no problem with but how far are you willing to go before realizing that you sound like more of the person you're speaking to rather then yourself, Like right now I'm thinking what the hell am I actually talking about :) So I'm going to let it go and get back to footy I reckon...

BazzaBlue

Team Captain
Jan 28, 2015
An English Pub
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Yo

YouTube comments are the biggest joke out there, its like you have to pass an ignorance test to be eligible to comment... I don't even know why I read them after watching the clip and you're right, you can't choose what offends or upsets you but you can learn to let things go when you realize the person you are speaking to is a lost cause and that you're point most certainly won't make it across! Standing up for what you believe in I have no problem with but how far are you willing to go before realizing that you sound like more of the person you're speaking to rather then yourself, Like right now I'm thinking what the hell am I actually talking about :) So I'm going to let it go and get back to footy I reckon...

Carn the blues and bring on the bridesmaids!

Blueboy75

All Australian
Oct 21, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Moe I think you just like anyone else is entitled to your opinion with all due respect to you my friend;),I think this is the beauty of reading people's comments to respect their thoughts&opinions:).

Moe B

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Moe I think you just like anyone else is entitled to your opinion with all due respect to you my friend;),I think this is the beauty of reading people's comments to respect their thoughts&opinions:).
I agree, BUT I felt like some people were acting superior because I was a newbie at the time, like my view was irrelevant... Just saying anyone should be able to say or express whatever they feel, Big believer in freedom of speech as long as its fair and not offensive to anyone personally!! Healthy debate is always encouraged as long as you're not shutting the poster down which I also might be guilty of at times although it was coming more out of frustration then anything else... We all love the blues and should stick together!! Im getting a bit emotional lol just jokes... ;)

Back