Game Day NAB Challenge Game 3 - Lions vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously with Beamsv2 we are a better side, but I'm not convinced we are that much further advanced.

Forward line the obvious problem as per. Thankfully, nice signs down back from Clarke, Rich and Merrett, while Beamsv1 was ok. Harwood will add a dose of much needed toughness when he returns. Are you listening Marco? Toughness. Robinson very disappointing

Christensen looks promising but packing a bit of condition as might be expected, realistically. Will be an asset. As will McGrath.

The bloke who really worries me is Leuenberger. Very soft at the contest, won't engage physically at throw-ins where he almost always starts from behind- and talk about soft. Being rag-dolled and pushed off by much smaller opponents is never a good look. Thank goodness Martin continues his good form. The Berger will be under real pressure when West comes back.

You and I must have been watching a different game (at least when berger was rucking anyway) He got pinged (unfairly IMO) a number of times for rag dolling nicholls and Smith in throw ins around the ground. He also had some great taps around the ground that didn't come off due to the player fumbling. If you're thinking of the incident I'm thinking of re being pushed off by smaller opponents in that instance he switched his balance to change direction and got hit at the same time. It was hardly a straight out wrestle for position.

Speaking for myself alone, I don't think I've gone into deep depression or any sort of "melt down" over last night.

In a poor standard game we fought back well which to me demonstrated some spirit if not a lot of actual skill. And particularly when a lot of our blokes had fair games at best.

However I think we need to be realistic about where we're at. To state the bleeding obvious, if we are to rely on development of some of our big forwards to make an impression this will obviously be a slow process. Not one season. I think our backline is in better nick.

I agree that I bagged out Leuenberger. I thought he was soft and that our performance suffered whenever Martin went off the ball. I think Berger is capable of much better. Not much good having a huge body if you're not going to make best use of it. I thought our performance clearly suffered whenever Martin went off the ball. That's my opinion.

People need to realise Leuenberger has not yet hit his prime as a ruckman, and yet he has still had seasons where he has been a top tier ruckman in the league. He will be the best going around within two or three seasons IMO

how you can melt over a preseason game is beyond me, you can take next to nothing from these games, none of us are any closer to knowing if we'll be closer or further to finals than last year in comparison to the rest of the league, so lets all take a chill pill and let it be while we can.

Speaking for myself alone, I don't think I've gone into deep depression or any sort of "melt down" over last night.

In a poor standard game we fought back well which to me demonstrated some spirit if not a lot of actual skill. And particularly when a lot of our blokes had fair games at best.

However I think we need to be realistic about where we're at. To state the bleeding obvious, if we are to rely on development of some of our big forwards to make an impression this will obviously be a slow process. Not one season. I think our backline is in better nick.

I agree that I bagged out Leuenberger. I thought he was soft and that our performance suffered whenever Martin went off the ball. I think Berger is capable of much better. Not much good having a huge body if you're not going to make best use of it. I thought our performance clearly suffered whenever Martin went off the ball. That's my opinion.

Do you mean off the ball or not rucking. I agree that we looked better with Martin on the ball, but with Leuey doing more of the rucking. We lacked a bit of inside presence at stages and Martin seemed to give us a bit of that when he was on the ball in conjunction with Leuey. There was one tap in the forward 50 when Leuey tapped over the back straight to Martin. Unfortunately he just fumbled it otherwise there was an easy shot on goal. It was similar to the geelong game at the end of the year and once again I think it worked quite well.

People need to realise Leuenberger has not yet hit his prime as a ruckman, and yet he has still had seasons where he has been a top tier ruckman in the league. He will be the best going around within two or three seasons IMO

how you can melt over a preseason game is beyond me, you can take next to nothing from these games, none of us are any closer to knowing if we'll be closer or further to finals than last year in comparison to the rest of the league, so lets all take a chill pill and let it be while we can.

Que??????

I don't think Leuenberger will ever be a decent contested mark because 1 he doesn't know how to use his body and 2 he can't jump. He barely gets off the ground.

Let's not get carried away with Merrett. Hasn't had a decent opponent yet this preseason just kids. I will wait until he lines up against Cloke and make a call then.
Cloke will test more backman than just Merrett. Give credit where it is due, Rog played his role last night...

Do you mean off the ball or not rucking. I agree that we looked better with Martin on the ball, but with Leuey doing more of the rucking. We lacked a bit of inside presence at stages and Martin seemed to give us a bit of that when he was on the ball in conjunction with Leuey. There was one tap in the forward 50 when Leuey tapped over the back straight to Martin. Unfortunately he just fumbled it otherwise there was an easy shot on goal. It was similar to the geelong game at the end of the year and once again I think it worked quite well.

I mean that Martin inserts himself into the game much more than Berger, whether on the ball or not.

IIRC, this was an aspect of Berger's game that was often prominent early in his career.

Anyway, enough said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a positive note, if some of you guys think that we were mediocre at best last night you need to see the Collingwood game, their best side are getting absolutely hammered by a pretty weak bulldogs outfit, people say its "only nab cup" but its their last game and its pretty hard to just flick the switch. I'm a little less worried about r1 now but by no means do I think that it'll be a walk in the park.

Perhaps it was his latest knee injury that resulted in him not being able to jump as well.
This was taken 2 weeks ago and he seems to be getting some decent elevation. Maybe he's just been mistiming his leaps a bit more recently since the injury? He's had a lot of time out and is probably still half way through his journey to a consistent run in gameplay.

This was taken 2 weeks ago and he seems to be getting some decent elevation. Maybe he's just been mistiming his leaps a bit more recently since the injury? He's had a lot of time out and is probably still half way through his journey to a consistent run in gameplay.

2 weeks + 1 year.

It's 2015 Haso

On a positive note, if some of you guys think that we were mediocre at best last night you need to see the Collingwood game, their best side are getting absolutely hammered by a pretty weak bulldogs outfit, people say its "only nab cup" but its their last game and its pretty hard to just flick the switch. I'm a little less worried about r1 now but by no means do I think that it'll be a walk in the park.
I wouldnt call the bullies "pretty weak". I actually rate their list. McRae, Boyd, Bontempelli, Dalhouse and Stringer are a pretty good young core. They probably have a few more but l can't think of them atm.I don't think they will be down the bottom for too long.

Really wish we had Bont, absolute freak.

I wouldnt call the bullies "pretty weak". I actually rate their list. McRae, Boyd, Bontempelli, Dalhouse and Stringer are a pretty good young core. They probably have a few more but l can't think of them atm.I don't think they will be down the bottom for too long.

Really wish we had Bont, absolute freak.
Fair enough, was also just thinking how good we'd be if we got bont over Aish, even though he is also a gun. But I still think that Collingwood have shown nothing this preseason, they beat the box hill hawks and lost to Carlton and now likely the dogs who are tipped to both be bottom 4, and with their best 22 both times

WHAT???!! GREAT SCOTT!!!
10023877_gal.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back