Autopsy Nab Challenge: Match 1 - Hawthorn vs Collingwood (Feb 26 Aurora Stadium) - autopsy from page 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Lose a soldier, replace with another soldier.

Just not all aththe same time
Exactly right! But how else will you identify a prospective soldier other than in a NAB or BHH game. From memory, Wanganeen got a game based on preseason form & good luck to him. Only the ultimate optimist would suggest that players such as Brand, Miles, Howe (& especially Pittonet) etc. would make it close to our best 22 this year, but why not let them dip their toes in the water? And that doesn't even include our rookies.

If nothing else it may inspire them. These games are fraught with danger (just ask Liberatore & Mackenzie). It's much wiser to ease into the NAB challenge, best prepare & manage our players & say two Hail Mary's & one Our Father!

Forget about how experienced the sides were on Thurs. the fact is that we have 10 A grade players plus Hale, Suckling, Puopolo and Spangher who could come into our round 1 side.

Pies have 2 A graders plus Swan (who probably isn't A grade based on 2014) and Reid ( who isn't an A grade player until he remains fit).

I'd be pretty confident that we have them comfortably covered in the season proper. Let them enjoy their February premiership while we concentrate on the real stuff.

Collingwood (along with some other teams) had a full-scale intra-club hit-out...... (how's that for 3 hyphens in a row!?!). I believe we didn't, so considering this was our first official game, and with all the kids, we shouldn't be worried at all.
Some kids showed glimpses and experienced players got some game time.
For mine, Howe presented well despite making some mistakes, which is a good sign for someone so young. Miles showed he can make good decisions in traffic, Sicily kicked that 60 meter goal, and Jed and Sammy starred. Gunston looked like he was warming up, Big boy added another string to his bow......and Breust looked HUGE!

Collingwood (along with some other teams) had a full-scale intra-club hit-out...... (how's that for 3 hyphens in a row!?!). I believe we didn't, so considering this was our first official game, and with all the kids, we shouldn't be worried at all.
Some kids showed glimpses and experienced players got some game time.
For mine, Howe presented well despite making some mistakes, which is a good sign for someone so young. Miles showed he can make good decisions in traffic, Sicily kicked that 60 meter goal, and Jed and Sammy starred. Gunston looked like he was warming up, Big boy added another string to his bow......and Breust looked HUGE!
But we lost!

Can't you see, the sky is falling cause we lost a NAB Cup game! :rolleyes:

ROFL'ing about the Pies supporters who are celebrating this huge win.

Regardless of how you frame it, the only senior players of note missing from collingwood were Cloke, Pendlebury, Reid and Swan.

The funny thing is that you could probably say these guys add about 30% to the fielded side.
Hawks first-choice senior side would probably only take, what... 5 guys out of the team fielded last night?

Maybe it's because they saw things to like - there young blokes went okay, they maintained the intensity for four quarters and they find out that fasolo and karnezie (sp) now give them other avenues to goal. Everyone knows it was a scratch match but just like we are taking some positives out of the game so too are they - is it really that big a deal

I did sign off from this thread before so I apologise for returning. I am only doing so to clarify what I said. I am not trying to be ignorant or dishonest. Thanks for for stats they help with what you are saying. Perhaps it would be better for me to say "although Hawthorn fielded a far more inexperienced side Collingwood also had an inexperienced side which further emphasises how young the Hawks were". I was just trying to say I thought rather than the view Collingwood was working to a plan to win the match as it's major aim we also had a plan in place to expose our kids and work towards the opening round of the season. Agree Hawks did this to a far greater extent.

My bottom line is it is the easiest match of the year to play in and the result has no meaning at all. Getting some game legs into players and seeing what your kids are like is its only relevance. Pies are in no better position looking to the season ahead for the win and Hawks in no way damaged.

You are a long way ahead of us as a list and once the real season is up I don't see us as any chance to beat you. We will probably knock the Swans off as they don't like playing us but Hawks just tear us apart.

I have intruded long enough and apologise again for ruffling so many of your posters feathers. Wasn't my intention.

Thankyou.

Collingwood did field a pretty young side and did rest, proportionally, a significant number of its prime movers (because you have fewer of them). Unfortunately the Hawks trumped that by throwing a lot of kids with no or very little senior experience into the fray. The top 8 or 9 players from each side were fairly well matched in experience but past this the Hawks fell away savagely.

A huge gap experience between the teams was exposed the bottom end, both in the emerging player 20 to 50 game range and the sub 20 bracket.

You played 1 draftee to our 5.
You played 2 first year players to our 3 (19 games experience to 7).
You played 7 third year players to our 2 (112 games experience to 6).
You played 3 fourth year players to our 1 (90 games experience to 2).

There are two parallel phenomena at work here caused by the lifecycle difference between the two clubs:

1. You have far more kids on your list as you are rebuilding after peaking in 2010-11. In contrast, we are in premiership mode so we are topping up and aggressively trading in over the last 6 years. Hence we only have 3 third year and 2 fourth year players on our entire list.

2. You have aggressively exposed your young players to AFL footy hence you have players like Langdon, Grundy, Kennedy, Crisp, Frost around the 20 game mark and other kids who are a bit older heading toward or at the 50 mark Thomas, Sinclair, Seedsman, Witts, Fasolo, Williams & Elliot. in contrast the Hawks have only three sub-24 yo players that have played 20 to 50-ish games (Hill, Duryea & Langford) and another two that are well past that mark (Shiels & Gunston). We have one sub-24 on 13 games and all of the rest are sub-10 gamers. Getting senior experience at the hawks for the young players is a very difficult.

Maybe it's because they saw things to like - there young blokes went okay, they maintained the intensity for four quarters and they find out that fasolo and karnezie (sp) now give them other avenues to goal. Everyone knows it was a scratch match but just like we are taking some positives out of the game so too are they - is it really that big a deal

Yeah and its not particularly the pies supporters doing the trolling

I thought the best thing Grimley did was a defensive spoil. Why not play him in defence? Particularly now that Brand has popped his shoulder out.
That blind spin he nearly pulled off running into 50 late in the game would have almost bought him enough "look at his potential!" to get another year on his contract.

I actually enjoyed the game - good to put faces to names - and boy aren't some of those faces young! Loved watching Jed and thought the young player from Collingwood, De Goey, showed why he was taken so high in the draft. And for those knocking Frawley, remember Gibson had 6 goals kicked on him by Barry Hall in his first pre-season match for Hawthorn.

Nah, mate, that's understandable. I'm all for them celebrating their good gets like Karnezis and De'Goey, but I'm talking about the 5-10 pies supporters I know who have already flipped the lid and lining up for Premiership 2015 tattoos.

I thought the best thing Grimley did was a defensive spoil. Why not play him in defence? Particularly now that Brand has popped his shoulder out.
They tried that and he was terrible. Face it, Grimley isn't AFL standard and never will be. If he is on our list next year I will be extremely and I mean extremely surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Grimley wasn't that bad. Did a few good things and the endevour was there. Just unlucky with that blind turn. Slipped at the critical time, but he had a go.
Jermaine went O/K for his 1st game, seems as though he has got over his injuries.

Last edited:
Quite a number of Collingwood flogs were strutting about yesterday as though they'd won the premiership or something. Can't wait for reality to hit them... I have my ammo loaded and ready to return fire.

The people having a "crack" at us are from various clubs that have had bugger all success in reason years.
I'm not even going to have a go at them if any of their sides lose in NAB comp - because they'll be expecting it. Gunna save it all up for when real stuff begins.
They asked for it...they gunna get it! :D

Mate, there isn't even any straws there to clutch at.

He's on the list simply because he was contracted for 2015 before the end of 2014 and if we had cut him, he was going to be needed to be paid out.

He's on the list simply because he was contracted for 2015 before the end of 2014 and if we had cut him, he was going to be needed to be paid out.
I though Grimley wasn't that bad. Did a few good things and the endevour was there. Just unlucky with that blind turn. Slipped at the critical time, but he had a go.
Jermaine went O/K for his 1st game, seems as though he has got over his injuries.
They tried that and he was terrible. Face it, Grimley isn't AFL standard and never will be. If he is on our list next year I will be extremely and I mean extremely surprised.

The dismissive sentiment to Grimley in these threads is really palpable. He is definitely the club whipping boy in 2015. I sense if Frawley doesn't perform immediately he will cop a fair dose also. Schoenmakers must be thrilled to get some respite. The difference between Schoey and Grimley for me is that Schoey is genuine depth who can offer something if called upon. Given that we have KPF depth in McEvoy, Hale, Frawley, Schoenmakers, Sicily and Obrien and ruck depth in Ceglar, Pittonet and if necessary Roughy, I genuinely am not sure what Grimley offers, other than a mediocre full fwd for Box Hill.

The people having a "crack" at us are from various clubs that have had bugger all success in reason years.
I'm not even going to have a go at them if any of their sides lose in NAB comp - because they'll be expecting it. Gunna save it all up for when real stuff begins.
They asked for it...they gunna get it! :D

Let's just say I have Round 14 locked in for the memory banks to be reactivated. ;)

The dismissive sentiment to Grimley in these threads is really palpable. He is definitely the club whipping boy in 2015. I sense if Frawley doesn't perform immediately he will cop a fair dose also. Schoenmakers must be thrilled to get some respite. The difference between Schoey and Grimley for me is that Schoey is genuine depth who can offer something if called upon. Given that we have KPF depth in McEvoy, Hale, Frawley, Schoenmakers, Sicily and Obrien and ruck depth in Ceglar, Pittonet and if necessary Roughy, I genuinely am not sure what Grimley offers, other than a mediocre full fwd for Box Hill.

I have high hopes that schoey will turn it all around this year, Grimley on the other hand...

I have high hopes that schoey will turn it all around this year, Grimley on the other hand...
Looks like he could tear it apart at any moment.......
twisties-chicken.jpg

Schoey will want to have CHF wrapped up as his position by the end of the season if he doesn't want to get traded. He's capable if he can stay on the park and get some confidence in his own ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back