Preview NAB Challenge: Melbourne v Fremantle, Fremantle Oval - March 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd start a preview thread to talk about all things related to this game.

Squads have been announced here:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-03/nab-challenge-squads-fremantle-v-melbourne

It's a real shame Vince is out. Watts and Howe also missing.

What are we looking for from this game? Surely not much. I'm pretty happy just to see individual performances, especially from our new recruits.

Disappointed that Fitzy isn't playing... Really want to see once and for all whether he is good enough...

Is he injured? Cos if he isn't and he's not playing in our NAB cup game at 24 years of age, that covers the second part of your post.

Would be interesting to know if the CP injury influenced the Brayshaw decision. I kind of hope not, because I want our kids to play footy. Would be disastrous if he got an injury but that's part of football.

Might be reading too much into it anyway. How has he been training?

Both sets of supporters will be watching one particular player with great interest. Freo fans still seem to think he's going west, bless them.

Can't wait to get a look at Billy the kid running around.

Salem will make his way into a few fantasy sides by the end of the game.

Would like to see Maximus clunking a few like he has at training.

Newton, Vanders and Michie will be the other three I'll be keeping an eye on. A couple of these guys could make a meaningful difference this season.

A win would be nice but no injuries and some solid individual performances are the main preferred outcomes.

Am anticipating with particular interest proper two-way running. The much talked about attack to go with the defensive mindset. As always, I'm excited for possibilities at this time of year.

Disappointed that Fitzy isn't playing... Really want to see once and for all whether he is good enough...

Fitz is still in a rehab program I think. Didn't play in last weeks scratch match.

Probably the better thread for it, no Brayshaw?

He's had 2 head knocks in 2 scratch matches, the first was a genuine concussion. I can understand why they've left him behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitz is still in a rehab program I think. Didn't play in last weeks scratch match.

He's had 2 head knocks in 2 scratch matches, the first was a genuine concussion. I can understand why they've left him behind.
Cheers, I'd forgotten about that.

I'm interested in whether we can break down freos structure enough to get meaningful I50s, pretty sure they have kept us to 6 goals or less 4-5 times in a row

Second thing I'm interested in is how the smalls structure up around hogan , I hope he plays the Barry hall role aka mostly i50 and then Kent , JKH, Garlett all get around him and lock it in there

If we can get the ball deep with the new holding the ball interpretation then Forward pressure will equal shots at goal from HTB and rushed clearances , if anything getting the ball In long is more important again

Go Viv!!

Very excited to see how Hogan goes, both teams seem to be approaching this as a pretty serious dress rehearsal.
Yes the lineups by both sides surprised me, neither side holding back to much.
Incidentally if we can knock over a good freo with our best 22 at Freo oval a ground the dockers know like the back of their hand. I will celebrate. I know it's a preseason game but a win would indicate a great amount of improvement

Yes the lineups by both sides surprised me, neither side holding back to much.
Incidentally if we can knock over a good freo with our best 22 at Freo oval a ground the dockers know like the back of their hand. I will celebrate. I know it's a preseason game but a win would indicate a great amount of improvement

People will say it's only a praccy and the result is worthless and that may be true but I don't think Freo will want to put in a poor showing on the ground they train at most days every week in front of what will be a pretty vocal crowd (for a preseason game), I reckon it will be pretty willing for both sides.

Lumumba and Garlett will keen to prove themselves early too, especially Jeffrey, and there's a number of fringe players who will want to stake claims for round 1 from both teams.

Seven news saying that Viney will not head to perth despite being named in the squad. I can't recall why i wasn't paying attention but i think it might have been a concussion sustained at training today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back