Preview NAB Challenge: Melbourne v Fremantle, Fremantle Oval - March 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I was reasonably pleased overall but definitely agree with the majority of the criticisms in here.

Let's face it, any team that includes all of M Jones, McKenzie and Bail and (now) Garland and Grimes too, ain't gonna look polished.

Not impressed with the showings of Toump, Salem, Dunn, Gawn or JKH either. Did Gawn actually ruck at all? If not, WTF?

Most of the comments on here pretty accurate I think. Players like Bail are becoming more and more exposed as we try and build past them. It's sad, because they've (okay, I'm talking about Bail, M Jones and McKenzie) have gone from players I quite liked because they had a crack to players who make me pull my hair out because they're 'having a crack' and f****** it up.

You can't play Grimes and Garland in the same team. I wouldn't argue with anyone who didn't want either.

Vandenberg looked like he belonged straight away. Big unit. Could be a real find.

Newton will play some great games.

Frost was much more at home down back and could be terrific.

Garlett just had one of those days, but fought through it.

Our kicking into the forward 50 was horrible.

Matt Jones and Bail just highlight why we've been the worst team in 25 years.

Is Gawn too tall ? His skills weren't great and for a big guy he struggles to hold his ground.

The sooner Stretch, Brayshaw, ANB, and Petracca are fixtures in this team the better.

Hogan will never play worse than that. I know he competed, etc., but that's as bad as he gets. His upside is enormous.

Overall pretty positive with that effort.

Good;
Mids, N.Jones all day, Newtwon first half, Tyson second half.
Centre clearences
Attacking ball movement throughout the game
Lumumba Garlett Frost will give us extra pace all over the ground
Hogan's second half

The bad;
Second quarter and delivery into the forward 50 (mind you all the games i've watched so far in the NAB cup all clubs have struggled with this)
We dropped some 50/50 marks in the back 50
Pavlich and Tabbenar getting on top of our backmen

The ugly;
Tom Mac and Garland decision making/kicking on the last line
Gawn you aren't a kicker of the footy, give it off
M.Jones look way out of depth

As for Toump, i feel he is like a good batsmen out of form and just one shot (quatrer) away from getting his confidence and form up

You can't play Grimes and Garland in the same team. I wouldn't argue with anyone who didn't want either.

Vandenberg looked like he belonged straight away. Big unit. Could be a real find.

Newton will play some great games.

Frost was much more at home down back and could be terrific.

Garlett just had one of those days, but fought through it.

Our kicking into the forward 50 was horrible.

Matt Jones and Bail just highlight why we've been the worst team in 25 years.

Is Gawn too tall ? His skills weren't great and for a big guy he struggles to hold his ground.

The sooner Stretch, Brayshaw, ANB, and Petracca are fixtures in this team the better.

Hogan will never play worse than that. I know he competed, etc., but that's as bad as he gets. His upside is enormous.

I agree with everything you said mate

Newton and Tyson were fantastic in the 1st half

Tyson disposal is what thing he needs to fix up to become that elite player we soo desprately need

Gawn in my books is not up to it unfortuanetely, yes it was the 1st hit out but geez he looked like a country footy player asked to have a game in the AFL
Jamar and Fitzpatrick would be the best duo as Fitzy could snag us a few goals

Garlett tried hard but just did not come up with anything special, his forward pressure will be a delight to see this season

N Jones was his usual self, great leader

Hogan had a better 2nd half with Dawes
Pedo will be the weakest link i am afraid so he looks set to play out the season in the VFL

My best 22

B- Dunn, T McDonald, Jetta
HB- Garland, Frost, Grimes
C- Tyson Vince, Lumumba
HF- Watts, Dawes, Howe
F- Garlett, Hogan, Fitzpatrick
FOLL- Jamar, N Jones, Viney

INT- Cross, Newton, JKH

EMER- Salem

Whether we like them as blokes or not, and let's face it in such a depressing decade of footy we have all found our own 'projects' who we generally are convinced will come good but in actually aren't up to it, our year can be measured by how many of the following are still on an AFL list come this time next year:

Spencer, Fitzpatrick, Bail, McKenzie, M Jones, Terlich.

I was even saying last night that I would love for Crossy to play every game this year and then retire at the end, thinking that he will probably struggle to get a game in 2016. That would be a GOOD result.

Riley, Michie - probably only one of them as well.

FWIW, my 'project' for two years was Jetta - look through the old posts, and see how much I was ridiculed for it! (kind of contradicting myself but couldnt resist!)

Understanding last night's game for what it was - a first up hitout for two rusty teams - I enjoyed the contest. It was a bit scrappy with lots of turnovers, for us more than them but both were guilty, but there were still plenty of clear things to take away from the game.

- the intent to attack so much more than last year was obvious. Many more quick play ons (which got us in trouble sometimes) and more streaming forward in numbers was good to watch.

- with lots of news faces and new roles for older ones, it's going to take a while for the team to gel. Hogan, Garlett and the other forwards will learn running patterns and how to structure themselves will only improve with more time. Lumumba learning to play midfield (was impressive) and the addition of Newton will also improve as they understand their roles within the midfield better.

- the existing weaknesses and question marks over a number of players, particularly Garland, Grimes, Matt Jones, etc, remain.

- the ruck situation is wide open. Gawn had a bad one first up, some terrible turnovers. Jamar had a Jamar game - competitive in hitouts and no more effective than Spencer around the ground. The next couple of NAB games will be interesting to see if situation solidifies.

Overall there was a lot to like. The return of our better ball users at the expence of some of the butchers and more time getting players settled in their roles, I really can see the potential for significant improvement this year. It's very early days but I found it encouraging.

He still has plenty of time before we categorically know what we've got with him though in my opinion.

Not so sure about that. He's lucky none of Brayshaw, Petracca, ANB and Stretch were playing - if they'd had a run and any looked at home at the level, Toumpas is going to find himself behind a lot of players in the midfield. Wasn't much poise, run and carry or elite kicking on display last night.

Not so sure about that. He's lucky none of Brayshaw, Petracca, ANB and Stretch were playing - if they'd had a run and any looked at home at the level, Toumpas is going to find himself behind a lot of players in the midfield. Wasn't much poise, run and carry or elite kicking on display last night.

I don't see anything with him that stands out as to why he was drafted high , literally nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have called for grimes and gawn to be dropped in the past and got hounded for it. Also supported jetta for as long as he's been around, good to see some of you are now coming around to the logical view point on some of our players.

I have called for grimes and gawn to be dropped in the past and got hounded for it. Also supported jetta for as long as he's been around, good to see some of you are now coming around to the logical view point on some of our players.

In the past there was no one to replace them with. Still kind of the case with Gawn.

For mine Grimes is pretty much done if he doesn't improve a lot.

I thought Jetta played well early and Newton was superb early

I also thought Grimes was good at getting the ball, his name came up a lot on the radio, however his disposal and decision making was letting him down. i thought he was alright, but his play yesterday was similar to Terlich.

Didn't hear Garland and Dunn mentioned a lot.

Apparently movement of the ball was a lot more exciting and quick at times but reiterating what most people have said delivery in the forwards 50 was poor.

Not going to lie, Newton in the midfield with a healthy Vince sounds really exciting.

Also i am surprised nobody has mentioned clearances yet. While looked poor at some centre bounces i must say that the clearances are a big improvement. At times we worked well to get the ball out from a ruck contest (mainly centre bounces) and break through

You said Jetta could be our Rioli. Maybe we should of kept Strauss and he could of been back up for Jamar in the ruck?

Also i am surprised nobody has mentioned clearances yet. While looked poor at some centre bounces i must say that the clearances are a big improvement. At times we worked well to get the ball out from a ruck contest (mainly centre bounces) and break through

Very true. In 2014 Freo were ranked 1 in the AFL for clearance differential and we were 18.

It was one of the most decisive gains from the game.

I thought Jones was relatively good, actually. 6 clangers from 6 kicks / 14 disposals... do clangers include handballs? If not, that is an impressive strike rate.
Not to mention he conceded 5 free kicks against. One of them was when a Freo player was lying on his stomach with the ball, and he just jumped straight onto his back. Free kick, shot at goal. Stupid footy.

There were a few players out there yesterday that made me immediately think "Uhhhh, this guy still gets a guernsey. Long year ahead" None more so than Matt Jones. Hopefully he's out of the team when the real stuff starts, and only gets a run in an injury-crisis.

I think you guys are a bit harsh on Toump. He matched Salem's output but cops twice the scrutiny. I know he's 12 months ahead, but he showed some OK signs after half time. I thought his hands were clean and his decision making under pressure wasn't too bad.

Long way to go, but I wouldn't be putting him down as a 'negative' from the game like some others have.

What? He made excellent decisions under pressure last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back