Preview NAB Challenge Round 3: v Essendon Top Ups - Etihad Stadium, Friday 20th March, 5.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
definite signs of improvement from the dees, and i think in this comp thats all you really want.

bit of experimenting with Frost up forward (great pick up from the GWS by the way. Thats two. Next up Treloar and Cameron?) and Salem in the middle. If he gets the tank to run in there all game, your midfield will be fairly solid with Viney, Tyson and Jones putting the pressure on as well.

Feel for Viney on that last kick. Dalgleish's speed isn't well known, and not many players would have closed the gap. wrong place, wrong time, wrong player to try that kick.

I'm sure the reverse will happen in the season proper. we seem to like to drop a few close ones to you before pulling a spanking out every once in a while.

Feel for Viney on that last kick. Dalgleish's speed isn't well known, and not many players would have closed the gap. wrong place, wrong time, wrong player to try that kick.

I don't really, kicking across the face of goal in that situation is just a fundamental sin in football. He needs a few rounds in the magoos to get his head on straight.

I think Michie could immediately be a dependable player for us - that's something that none of Bail, Jones and Toump can give us at the moment.
He could. I think he'll come in and be inconsistent and frustrating like the rest of them. I like what I've seen from Vanderz and Newton too; but I expect them to be inconsistent, frustrating and to be invisible for large stretches of games once the real stuff starts, too.

Not to make an excuse here as that final pass by Viney was a very poor option but did Cross actually call for that pass? I thought he did, could be wrong.

Meh I'm not gonna hang viney on that kick , it was a horrible decision but if he's any sort of smart he will never make that decision again

Lucky for him it was pre season not round 10 or I'd probably have a different thought process

He was awful the entire game.

He could. I think he'll come in and be inconsistent and frustrating like the rest of them. I like what I've seen from Vanderz and Newton too; but I expect them to be inconsistent, frustrating and to be invisible for large stretches of games once the real stuff starts, too.

I get your point mate, definitely.

My point is that his base skill level is a lot higher than some guys that are playing, even if he only gets 15 touches at least he'll be clean.

Not to make an excuse here as that final pass by Viney was a very poor option but did Cross actually call for that pass? I thought he did, could be wrong.

I was at the game. I thought Viney had played ok. I think Cross did call for it, why go back 30m back towards your goal when the player isn't in the clear was so disappointing to see. Don't think the players talk enough on the ground, one of the two other players should have directed him to go up the ground. Changing direction is ok but not kicking back to your goal - schoolboys wouldn't do it.

I was at the game. I thought Viney had played ok. I think Cross did call for it, why go back 30m back towards your goal when the player isn't in the clear was so disappointing to see. Don't think the players talk enough on the ground, one of the two other players should have directed him to go up the ground. Changing direction is ok but not kicking back to your goal - schoolboys wouldn't do it.

If you're going to execute a switch your kick has to be long, otherwise you give the opposition too much time to setup across the ground. Viney took too long then kicked it short to cross in the most dangerous part of the ground with a couple of minutes to go. It's unforgivable.

Collingwood making our performance last night look like top 4 quality.
and remember nab 1 when they beat a mid strength hawthorn and we're getting excited for the season ahead. I kid you not i can quote some pies friends of mine saying "We'll win the premiership this year" and they were not saying that in a joking way. NAB means nothing, although i am happy Collingwood are being beaten regardless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and remember nab 1 when they beat a mid strength hawthorn and we're getting excited for the season ahead. I kid you not i can quote some pies friends of mine saying "We'll win the premiership this year" and they were not saying that in a joking way. NAB means nothing, although i am happy Collingwood are being beaten regardless

We could have trounced every team we played this year by ten goals and I would still have us finishing in the bottom six.

What I struggle to understand is the lack of situational game awareness... The classic example was the Viney balls up. Why did Jack mark the ball? Gawn was standing next to him. Surely the play was Gawn marks the ball, Viney spreads Boundry side, takes possession and kicks long down the line to a 50/50 that worst case ends up as a boundary throw in. Game Over.

I know the instruction is to attack the corridor, but Jesus think about the situation.

What I struggle to understand is the lack of situational game awareness... The classic example was the Viney balls up. Why did Jack mark the ball? Gawn was standing next to him. Surely the play was Gawn marks the ball, Viney spreads Boundry side, takes possession and kicks long down the line to a 50/50 that worst case ends up as a boundary throw in. Game Over.

I know the instruction is to attack the corridor, but Jesus think about the situation.

Paul Roos admitted as much after the game he wasn't happen with vineys team mates

Good post, and this is why the other Viney knee-jerk reaction thread is so stupid. He made a dumb mistake, but hopefully one that a 100+ game player wouldn't make. Experience is crucial: I've never played top level footy myself but I would imagine there are times when you need to disregard the 'game plan' and do the sensible thing. It's finding that balance between doing the 'right' thing, and then actually doing the right thing.

If you know what I mean.

And we got done by the Saints after looking good against Richmond in the preseason. It means ******* squat guys, calm the **** down.
I'm not sure if you saw the game, or if you are talking about the result. Because the result means nothing - you're right about that.

Good post, and this is why the other Viney knee-jerk reaction thread is so stupid. He made a dumb mistake, but hopefully one that a 100+ game player wouldn't make. Experience is crucial: I've never played top level footy myself but I would imagine there are times when you need to disregard the 'game plan' and do the sensible thing. It's finding that balance between doing the 'right' thing, and then actually doing the right thing.

If you know what I mean.
Experience plays a role yes, but that is fundimental. Big blokes mark, small blokes run... It's like Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut playing for the boomers. Both under the basket waiting for the boards. The play is Bogut rebounds and the outlet pass goes to Mills... Viney I fear is a dumb footballer. See ball get ball...

Experience plays a role yes, but that is fundimental. Big blokes mark, small blokes run... It's like Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut playing for the boomers. Both under the basket waiting for the boards. The play is Bogut rebounds and the outlet pass goes to Mills... Viney I fear is a dumb footballer. See ball get ball...

Everyone boxes out in a good team. You never know where that board will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back