Game Day NAB Cup Game 1 - Brisbane Lions v St Kilda @ Burpengary

Remove this Banner Ad

what did he say???
was going on about how Mayes looks like he has a bright future, good prospect, nice size and all that jazz... funnily enough about 10 minutes later he followed up with another pro-Mayes speech but this time brought up the fact that he had issues with him during his draft year... thought Mayes was too soft for AFL footy...lels

I thought Leuenberger covered the ground nicely but he was soundly beaten in the ruck. Good to see him out there nonetheless.
McGrath looks lively and there's plenty to work with there. One for the blackbook
On a day where skills were sloppy I thought Robinson showed some experience. He cleaned up possession chains a few times and looked good for mine. Should be a good pick-up.
Paparone and C.Beams in new positions were good. I think Paparone's aerobic ability is better suited running back to defence as opposed to starting in defence but this will be an interest sub-plot to our season.
Welcome aboard D.Beams.
Bewick and Adcock on the wings were two of our better players.
Rockliff was in cruise control while Redden and Zorko both struggled with their touch.
Rich looked a bit rusty first up but that's to be expected coming off a knee.
Liked McGuane as the CHF. Lead nicely up the ground when the ball was coming out of defence.
Clarke and Merrett individually did some nice things, particularly the former, but as a defensive unit we lacked a bit of cohesion. A lot of over the back goals which was a feature in our play early last year also.
Overall we controlled the game for the most part and never really looked to get out of second/third gear. Using this as our base we should be able to build into the season. While it was frustrating and I understand posters' angst, it must be remembered that the boys haven't played since August

1. D. Beams>>>DeGoey, Greenwood and Crisp.
I don't think anyone will be able to make a definitive call on that for a couple of years at least. It baffles me that fans on both sides of the fence are making those calls so early.

The only sure thing is that at this point in time Beams is the highest quality player of the four.

Whether De Goey will be as good or surpass Beams is up for debate, but s**t, the kid showed some bloody good signs on Thursday night.

I think it will likely end up being a decent trade from our end. Greenwood seems to compliment our midfield nicely, and Crisp is showing good signs (although I'm not completely sold on him). It's early days with De Goey, but I trust the judgement of Hine on that. I don't think he's ever stuffed up a top ten pick in the last decade he's been in charge :eek:

11 disposals for 7 Clangers, not a great start to the year.
I didn't watch the game, because it was a practise match. Having said that, does anyone mind if I bag Merrett, because I am out of practise and it is going to be a long season?

Here we go: "I thought Merrett was rubbish today!" :mad:

I didn't watch enough to comment on his whole match, but I did see Close take a couple of nice contested grabs. He needs to get more involved, but he doesn't exactly have a lot of competition for his spot at the moment. We have no choice but to pick and stick for an extended period.

I don't think anyone will be able to make a definitive call on that for a couple of years at least. It baffles me that fans on both sides of the fence are making those calls so early.

The only sure thing is that at this point in time Beams is the highest quality player of the four.

Whether De Goey will be as good or surpass Beams is up for debate, but s**t, the kid showed some bloody good signs on Thursday night.

I think it will likely end up being a decent trade from our end. Greenwood seems to compliment our midfield nicely, and Crisp is showing good signs (although I'm not completely sold on him). It's early days with De Goey, but I trust the judgement of Hine on that. I don't think he's ever stuffed up a top ten pick in the last decade he's been in charge :eek:
Agreed. It was just tongue in cheek after all the to-and-fro of the trade period.

Everyone needs to treat football trades like a stock market trade. If you keep looking after you've sold, you're sure to find moments where you could have done better. You have to expect it. Be happy with the trade you have today and don't look at what might have been tomorrow because in reality it's now irrelevant.

Another point from today - I miss Hanley already
Yep. Lacked the get out of jail kick quite a few times today... and lacked genuine pace down back. Counter attack footy hurt us the most. Beams was solid, but he lacks speed and doesn't work as hard as Hanley does. His injury is going to hurt us quite a bit.

Well worth the drive from Toowoomba, got exactly what I expected, plenty of mistakes and not a whole lot to showcase our great game. I didn't care, it was just great to see our boys back out there and getting amongst it. I can't deny I got genuinely excited when I saw D. Beams on the ground in a Lions guernsey, I think I'd conned myself into believing it was all just a dream.

I took my parents down (both long standing members but their days of long road trips unsupervised are gone). Dad enjoyed telling everyone around him that the Lions won't return to the top again until they find another Tony Ongarello or Noel Mugavin, fortunately people just smiled politely. Mum's post match wrap on the car trip home was to tell me how well she thought ZOB played, she thinks he's in for a big year. I was going to correct her but decided to just let her go, I don't know who she was watching but whoever it was, good job.

Well worth the drive from Toowoomba, got exactly what I expected, plenty of mistakes and not a whole lot to showcase our great game. I didn't care, it was just great to see our boys back out there and getting amongst it. I can't deny I got genuinely excited when I saw D. Beams on the ground in a Lions guernsey, I think I'd conned myself into believing it was all just a dream.

I took my parents down (both long standing members but their days of long road trips unsupervised are gone). Dad enjoyed telling everyone around him that the Lions won't return to the top again until they find another Tony Ongarello or Noel Mugavin, fortunately people just smiled politely. Mum's post match wrap on the car trip home was to tell me how well she thought ZOB played, she thinks he's in for a big year. I was going to correct her but decided to just let her go, I don't know who she was watching but whoever it was, good job.
Best post match review to date Reardo - this is exactly what practice matches are all about... 'balanced clarity' on how we'll go in the year after only about 100mins of preseason game time! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be a long season. This game will seem trivial in a week and irrelevant in a month. We learned a few things and saw some things to work on. In other words...preseason.

Those too inclined to outrage need to pace themselves. We don't want to be cleaning up bile this early in the season!

The game will

Were they ok with Robert Shaw's coaching ?

Bit disappointed to hear so much negativity. I for one, didn't see or hear the game, so look forward to reading on here people's views.
Was our first scratch match, we won, no injuries. Happy Days.

It's just not good enough. :mad:
jP1060171.jpg

Good grief Joshy:eek:

I actually did watch the whole game and although quite a few possessions were scrappy and by the end there was bugger all run, I was very happy at our clearance work. We dominated the game from the middle especially the first half. For about 5 years now it's been very frustrating seeing our midfield be 2nd to the ball or have to get our goals from a build up out of defence. So practice game or not that was refreshing.
Hopefully in season proper we are more switched on when we are getting countered as that was the only reason saints were still in the game...
Oh and last point but somewhat unrelated. Still shattered we didn't pick up Trent Mackenzie. Looked very promising for the tigers yesterday as none of our forwards looked capable of making us a top 8 team again soon.

EDIT: Reece Mckenzie- my bad

Thought the defence looked disorganised which helped keep the saints in the game, Adcock returning down back will give the back six some direction. I'm worried about Merrett & JC being paired down back it's like having two FBs.

Claye was fantastic. I was very surprised by how good Paps positions was down back, seemed to read the flight of the ball better than most, just needs to get stronger and iron out his kicking some more.

Midfield was rusty but showed some good sigs. Missing some polish in Hanley and Bundy but not too bad.

Our forward line has pieces, but I have no idea how we will fit them all together. Im a big fan of Close but omg what a frustrating day, McStay for me shows hints that he could rip a game apart in 15 mins and. Throw in Green and Mayes and the parts are there long term.

Hope that we see some of Dawson and Andrews this preseason as theses two could also be pieces for that forward group over the next cpl of years

Your Dad knows a bit. Add another Wally Clark and we'll be unstoppable.

I see Leppa mentioned Merrett having a good game. He is good at crashing packs and spoiling but oh my god once in possesion of the ball he is terrible. Almost every touch he had was a turn over. I hope it is a bit of rust being the first hit out of the year but i fear with big sauce that the poor choices he makes down back with the ball is going to be costly for us this year.

Even though Aish didnt get a lot of the ball i thought he was all class with every touch. Makes good decisions and hits targets. I really hope we retain the kid as he is going to be a star.

It was good to have Rog back killing contests in defence. It was a different combo back there so they'll take a while to gel.

The main thing we need to watch: Rog often ends up running with the ball, scanning half forward for an option. Oppositions want that.

Saints seemed to be happy to cut off his handball options but make him kick long. They wouldn't let him run straight forward, but they were happy to sag off him when he ran sideways or backwards.

We'd want to work on making sure it's always Claye or Rich or someone else that takes that transition kick.

I'm surprised by all the negativity on here. I thought yesterday was exactly what we were looking for - a chance to blow out the cobwebs of summer and start getting back into the groove of footy, with no injuries. Served it's purpose imho.
My thoughts:
- Paps & Claye were surprise standouts for me
- Seeing Dan Rich pump a ball 60m again was a highlight
- Merrett is rusty as a defender and will take some time to get his mojo back, but I think he will get there
- Paddy McCartin will be a terrific forward - just knows where to go (good running patterns and positioning) and how to use his body, so once he's AFL-fit/strong he will be hard to handle
- Archie Smith & Jason Holmes are phenomenal athletes, their spring at the ruck contest is amazing, but it remains to be seen whether either can learn how to navigate a marking contest
- Burpengary may be far away for many of you, but it's a top notch place to watch footy! Surface looked fantastic, plenty of other ovals for kids to run around on if they weren't interested in the game, and lovely hilly banks that allowed you to sit on the slope on the wing and watch the game. Highly recommended!

Hey guys what was the stream quality like last night? Do you know if that was provided by your club or the AFL?

Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back