NAB Cup Rd 1 Blues V's Power V's Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
If the umpires paid every single free kick in accordance with the letter of the law, there'd be 300 frees a game paid. They have to draw a line somewhere, and in this case (like just about every other NAB cup game) they drew the line way too far one way.

It has got to this point because the umpires "let the game go". Players will try and get away with whatever they can.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rubbish. Players always have and always will try and get away with anything, no matter how strictly it's umpired.

Righto. Let's do away with all rules so there is no need for umpires at all.

You either enforce the rules or you don't. You shouldn't pick and choose when the rules apply.

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
You either enforce the rules or you don't. You shouldn't pick and choose when the rules apply.
But AFL is full of subjective rules. A player knocks the ball over the boundary line: was that intentional? You can't easily say definitely yes or definitely no. This is what gives the umps such wide scope to either pay frees or not.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Righto. Let's do away with all rules so there is no need for umpires at all.

oh don't be so dramatic.

"Tiggy touchwood" is valid concept. You don't need to pay everything by the letter of the law, and given our game is largely umpired by interpretation, you can't, as it's different for everyone.

You seem to think it's all black and white. Rule infringement or not. I'm telling you that's not the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
WHY THE **** do these troglodyte, labotomised mic-monkeys feel the need to CONSTANTLY "remind" us of the "rules". Why do I need to hear 10 times a game that there are only two halves, that quarters are shortened, that this will be a 9 pointer????? WHY??? I know this s**t already, mainly from the last 9 times you banged on about it!

I'm mad

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
Carlton looked actively disinterested out there.

and TPA if they umpired to the letter of the law there'd be no game. Barry's mark at the end of the 2005 GF had probably 10 infringements by just about everybody in that pack.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
I'm probably most negatively biased towards Carlton than anybody else, but the free kicks (and the constant interference of umpires) took away from the contest and got me questioning why the rules are tampered with in the pre season? The 50 metre penalty against Bryce Gibbs was so ludicrous that it was comical. If this level of officiating was displayed during the proper season, we would all just switch to NRL.

PykeDream

Only the Betts
Sep 2, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane, Dangerfield, McIntyre, Shaw all come in for the second match. Jenkins, Johnston, Tambling (again) and Henderson the subs.

Sloane and McIntyre both slotted goals to start, as has Schulz.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Of course there's no such free kick as that either, but at least he'd join Duhhh-wayne in looking like an idiot there.

You might want to let the umpires know that as one of them paid a free kick for that exact reason during the Port and Carlton game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back