Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
NAKIA COCKATOO

NT Thunder
DOB: 23/10/96
Height: 186cm
Weight: 86kg

"He dominated the curtain raiser at the MCG on Grand Final day playing for the Allies, and gathered 20 possessions. In the last quarter he ripped the ball out of a centre clearance, ran to half-forward, took two bounces and slotted a long goal. He was named best afield.

"I saw the game as one of my only chances I had to show myself and put it all out there," Cockatoo toldAFL.com.au. "I played my heart out."

He followed it up in the few days after at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. He ran 2.9 seconds in the 20m sprint, won the repeat sprint test with 23.93 seconds, was in the top five for the standing vertical jump and took out the kicking test (29 out of 30)."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-16/cockatoo-flying

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...sational-sevenday-season-20141111-11kadc.html

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/aust...ort-on-draft-day/story-fnk2to87-1227099936838

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-nakia-cockatoo/

1415697138526.jpg
351001-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Last edited:
I think he's a Gary Rohan type.

Does seem like a fair risk if taken early given that he has played one game of footy in 16 months and had a break in his foot that supposedly healed, but then returned pretty quickly. Sam Gilbert for us has had something like that going on in the past 18 months and he just keeps coming back and they think it's fine and they are conservative with it, but then he breaks down again almost as soon as he returns and then spends another chunk of time on the sidelines.

He's played one game in 16 months against a tier 2 side.
I'm going to laugh at the club that drafts him.

We're tipped to draft him but I actually hope he goes earlier to West Coast and we pick up a slider at 16.
May well turn out to be a gun but the sample size is way too small for Chael's liking.

Given he's spent a bit of time at North recently I'd back our recruiters if they saw fit to take him at 16. He is an impressively built kid.

He's played one game in 16 months against a tier 2 side.
I'm going to laugh at the club that drafts him.

He's also been in the AIS program since he was eligible.

Are people stupid enough to think he's being drafted on 1 game?

He's been an elite prospect for years.

What is he being drafted on exactly?
The fact that he was invited to a training camp in Canberra?
That doesn't make him an elite prospect.
Conlon went through the AFL AIS program, it means squat in a drafting sense.
Some club will waste a high selection on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could well be taken in the top 10. Massive mover up the draft order.

I think GWS would be the only one who consider him that early. They dance to the beat of their own drum and don't mind wasting early draft picks on middling talent (see O'Rourke for pick 2).

What is he being drafted on? Are you thick?

These kids are scouted from the u/12's onwards. Cockatoo has been known to recruiters for a very long time, he is part of a famous football family, his uncle played for North back in the 80's and was described by Pagan as the most talented footballer to ever pull on the clubs Guernsey, he's played in national junior carnivals right throughout the age groups, hence the AIS scholarship. You don't get one of these (worth tens of thousands of dollars in training and education) by just rocking up and looking ok, you have to excel at the u/16 level particularly. You only think he's done nothing because you haven't seen him move through the TAC system...... I'd love to know what you think of Isaac Heeney developing out in Newcastle in the local comp? overrated too?

Conlon got badly injured.

Joel Selwood didn't play his top age either, how'd that work out?

AIS selection means little in the scheme of things.
There has been countless amounts of players who have not been drafted after going through that program.
Utilising a first round selection on a draftee from a second division state that has played one game in 16 months due to ongoing feet issues is as risky as it gets.

What makes you think he's s**t? Purely the fact there's only a small sample size to go off? Because he hasn't shown anything to suggest he'll be anything but a pretty good player, possibly an elite one. Pretty odd logic.

as long as the tigers dont draft him i dont care... let him go to the Dees they deserve him

Has all the hallmarks of a Tom Swift minus the level Swift got to as a 16 year old.

Can really tell some people are only interested in junior players 2 months before the draft - FMD

Going on a small sample size lol, The kid has been playing at the highest level possible since he was walking and recruiters have probably watched him since he was 13 /14

Can really tell some people are only interested in junior players 2 months before the draft - FMD

Going on a small sample size lol, The kid has been playing at the highest level possible since he was walking and recruiters have probably watched him since he was 13 /14
Wait for Cockatoo/whoever to become a spud if he makes it to 19 and we take him ahead of a KPP/Marchbank.

I'd be happy to take a punt on him with pick 12. Great size, very quick and athletic with good footskills. Won't be shattered if we pass on him either but happy to take the risk.
Would be glad to take him at pick 12. Hoping all clubs look at the so called risk factor and he slides to 33.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back