Name the SOS success stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to here all this positive feedback on how genuine and focused he is. Of course you still need talent in identifying players, but these qualities are a great start.
As we know your ability to play the game does not necessarily make you a great coach. I am sure the same applies to recruiting.
Since my op they have knocked off the hawks, could this be the confidence booster that sparks " the great coming of GWS?" If so it may prove harder going forward , to prise players out of there. I am sure the players can all see in themselves , what we as spectators can.
Salary cap issues aside, will sos be able to help us shake the tree?

Since my op they have knocked off the hawks, could this be the confidence booster that sparks " the great coming of GWS?" If so it may prove harder going forward , to prise players out of there. I am sure the players can all see in themselves , what we as spectators can.
Salary cap issues aside, will sos be able to help us shake the tree?

His job description isn't based on pinching players from GWS, it's to assess all of the talent around the country and make judgements on which ones should be picked up in the draft.

Our focus has to be purely on the draft and nothing else.

If a player at an opposition club is disgruntled or is looking for a change of scenery, only then should we be making some moves.

GWS will lose a player or two over the next couple of seasons, I have no doubts about that but it won't be a mass exodus given that they are well & truly on the up.

Gws had an unbelievable advantage coming in second after GC. I'm not saying gws aren't good or SOS did anything wrong but to compare the two as being equal would be silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those of you arguing about what high character he has, if we were hiring based on character alone it definitely wouldn't be SOS - brown paper bags stuffed with money ring any bells??

Anyway his character is irrelevant, as long as he's not a murderer or a rapist I don't care. It's irrelevant what a good bloke he is, how much charity work he does or how often he helps little old ladies across the road or how he is full back of the century, all I'm concerned with is his ability to manage a total overhaul of our playing list.

All I see is a club that has just handed the set of keys to a guy with only a small handful of years experience.

At GWS his role was different - he was hired as 'list manager', but he was really just part of the recruiting team, or a 'junior list manager' if you like - he did a bit of everything - coaching (specifically Folau), a bit of recruiting, a bit of contract work and some admin work. At GWS he just followed the orders from their GM of Footy, head recruiter, planners and coaches. He was well down the pecking order... yet is given all the credit for GWS's list build by the experts on Bigfooty.

Now he comes to Carlton probably on $500k+ as the messiah and is in charge of 1) Recruiting 2) Scouting 3) Contracts 4) Trading... money we could have used to poach a couple of gun recruiters from other clubs.

So please excuse me if I seem somewhat concerned that we have probably the least qualified bloke in charge of recruiting out of all the AFL clubs, in fact we don't even have a senior recruiter anymore, just SOS - sorry for not sharing the same blind optimism like the rest of you.

Look forward to the 'not a real supporter' 'we don't need supporters like you' 'you are a peacock' comments.

Once again another 'mates' appointment by Carlton which has already resulted in our recruiting manager walking out.
Now we don't even have a decent experienced recruiter he has left, lol what an absolute joke.

These are the same guys who put our current list together right? The ones that are doing so well at the minute. They should have been fired, not allowed to resign.

At GWS his role was different - he was hired as 'list manager', but he was really just part of the recruiting team, or a 'junior list manager' if you like - he did a bit of everything - coaching (specifically Folau), a bit of recruiting, a bit of contract work and some admin work. At GWS he just followed the orders from their GM of Footy, head recruiter, planners and coaches. He was well down the pecking order...

Erm, how on earth did you come up with this? You reckon he rolled in to work each day and say
'Hi guys, what can I do today? '
'Not much on today SOS, maybe go and man the reception'.

Its the biggest investment in the history of the AFL, not my cousins local shoe repair store on school holidays.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for him actually. Recruiting for a football club is a thankless job.
The team falls to s**t--recruiters get the blame well before anyone starts looking at development.
A player does well--gee that's lucky.
A player is inconsistent--of course the recruiter gets the blame. In 2009 we could have picked up X player who is doing so well at X club instead. Sakc!

I feel sorry for him actually. Recruiting for a football club is a thankless job.
The team falls to s**t--recruiters get the blame well before anyone starts looking at development.
A player is inconsistent--of course the recruiter gets the blame. In 2009 we could have picked up X player who is doing so well at X club instead. Sakc!

I think the recruiters at the clubs in the top bracket get given plenty of thanks. It's up to a club to keep an objective eye on the competition so as to make a judgement on how they are actually going re recruiting. Development is a word that gets tossed up a lot by clubs who have been poor at recruiting.

SOS loves the club and understands he has a job to do, he also wants to build a list where his son/sons can play in a flag so there is 3 generation of Silvagni's who are premiership players.

If you look at the mature aged players that SOS brought to GWS it is only Scully and Thornton who has been a bust, Callan Ward was an excellent choice, Phil Davis, Mumford & Heath Shaw are excellent. Chad Cornes and James McDonald provided leadership and a mature body to protect the kid.

Then look at GCS mature aged players, Nathan Bock, Campbell Brown, Jared Brennan, Josh Fraser, Jarrod Harbrow, Nathan Krakouer, Daniel Harris, Nathan Ablett.. all busts mostly because of character with only Ablett & Richetelli being good selections and probably goes a long way to explaining why GWS have obovertaken the suns.

It is clear that character is important to the players SOS brings in. SOS also had the foresight to stockpile all the key position talent in the draft knowing full well that it would pay dividends in years to come with clubs having to pay overs to trade with them just like we did with Jaksch and the dogs did with Boyd.

Scully BOG vs Hawks on weekend. Not a bust by any means.

I think the recruiters at the clubs in the top bracket get given plenty of thanks. It's up to a club to keep an objective eye on the competition so as to make a judgement on how they are actually going re recruiting. Development is a word that gets tossed up a lot by clubs who have been poor at recruiting.
Hardly. Look at the comments regarding SOS at GWS...
"he was gifted picks, any idiot could have built that"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s.

So please excuse me if I seem somewhat concerned that we have probably the least qualified bloke in charge of recruiting out of all the AFL clubs, in fact we don't even have a senior recruiter anymore, just SOS - sorry for not sharing the same blind optimism like the rest of you.

Look forward to the 'not a real supporter' 'we don't need supporters like you' 'you are a peacock' comments.
Plenty of people have put up sound, reasoned, well argued opinions that oppose yours but you are stuck fast on it. You are now just stirring s**t, which on social media forums is called trolling.

SOS turned Jared Rivers around as well. Went from someone on their last legs to having a very fine AFL career after personal one on one coaching from SOS..

Do you think he has time to help out our backline?

Do you think he has time to help out our backline?
He also kicked a few big bags as a forward.

Sod it. He is now defensive coach, forward coach, midfield coach. The replacement of Buttifant, the chef, boot studder, list manager and origami instructor for the club.

In all seriousness SOS spent a decade a different clubs picking up a variety of skills. He is Liam Neeson in Taken and he will get his (our) club back.

Erm, how on earth did you come up with this? You reckon he rolled in to work each day and say
'Hi guys, what can I do today? '
'Not much on today SOS, maybe go and man the reception'.

Its the biggest investment in the history of the AFL, not my cousins local shoe repair store on school holidays.

ah yeah you are right silly me.

He turned up and they said..

"hey SOS, this is the biggest investment in the history of the AFL, we know you have never had anything to do with recruiting or list management, but please trade who you want and pick whoever you want in the draft, we know you will be better at this than our senior recruiters... ok thanks, see you in 15 years messiah"

I've commented in this thread a few times and you replied to me, if you don't get the gist of what I'm saying then there's no hope for you.

I rate the recriuting higher than the coach. Give me Geelong's recriuting department over Scott/Thompson any day of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back