Name your top 5 players of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming all in peak form, and in no particular order:

Royce Hart (classical)
Alex Jesaulenko (clever)
James Hird (elegant)
Leigh Matthews (brutal)
Gary Ablett snr. (all of the above)

never saw Dempsey play but he's often talked about very highly no matter which supporter base you talk to.

Best & most consistent & reliable pack mark there's ever been & a superb tap-ruckman to boot....Simon Madden was excellent, but not in Dempsey's class.

Bunton
Ian Stewart
Matthews
Whitten
Barassi

Unlike some, Barassi and Whitten,did not disappear under pressure, ,[ Carey V Jackovich ], and were at their peak for many years. They were also extraordinary leaders.Stewart was the best centreman I saw, 3 brownlows, and Matthews can never be overlooked.

Of course, most mentioned,were great !

Really like this list....Great to see & hear someone speak of past champions I never saw play, other than Barney....Though, am surprised not to see Coleman's name mentioned.

Really like this list....Great to see & hear someone speak of past champions I never saw play, other than Barney....Though, am surprised not to see Coleman's name mentioned.

This is not a thread for past champions.

From the OP - "Who are your top 5 players, from anyside, you've witnessed and seen in your time?"

Very difficult to do, but here goes. I've not just gone for the most skilful players, but tried to take account of effectiveness in their position, bravery, longevity, contribution to team success etc etc. From 1985 onwards ....................

1) Gary Ablett (snr)
2) Wayne Carey
3) Stephen Silvagni
4) Tony Lockett
5) Greg Williams

Apologies to the likes of Hird, Voss, Judd, Cousins, Buckley, Harvey etc etc

1. Garry Ablett Jr
2. Cousins
3. Kerr
4. N. Riewoldt
5. W. Tredrea

I only started watching in 2001ish. Only 22 y/o - not gonna comment on stuff older than that I realise I've missed Senior/Carey/Matera/Farmer/Matthews etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure half those blokes get a run over Judd

Judd had 6 good years at West Coast.
Kind of plodded around for the rest of it.
Never really did anything magical at Carlton. Even in that brownlow year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back