Opinion Names on guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

i wasn't a fan of the idea, but some of the teams it looks fine. others not so much.

Ours looked tacky because our numbers are yellow with a white outline (which I think looks great) but the names were solid yellow. It looked like a dodgy add on where we just used the normal guernsey and ironed some letters on the top.

If the AFL want to do it, and they will, it will be much better with a Guernsey that has been designed with the name on the back. Get rid of the NMFC and SMFC and 1870 rubbish that clutters it more and it will help too.

The lions looked awful because they had the added stupidity of placing the name across the colour change on their back.

Overall it was OK I thought.

When the AFL introduce this next year, what they need to do is tell clubs like Brisbane, Footscray, Sydney etc that the top of the jumper is for names now.
There's no room for nods to former clubs or names. No room for 150 year logos or MCC logos. Or even formation years.
The top of the jumper now belongs to the name of the player.
Under the numbers is for the sponsorship, which brings in the real money.
That other stuff will have to go somewhere else.

I said it when it first got announced, I'll say it again.
It's good because it differentiates Guernsey's in merchandise.

People who were Ricciuto fans are more enticed to buy a new angerfield top, because the names make it different. It's all about the money and it'll be good in that regard.

You barely notice it at the ground (I couldn't even see the names on the GWS kit)
And when you see the closeups on tv, it doesn't look bad.

Hopefullt they bring it in. Will help all clubs financially while changing s**t all elsewhere/.

They're too small. It's a catch 22 - if you increase the size of the names, you have to decrease the size of the numbers.

Was it my imagination yesterday or were the numbers a touch smaller?

I don't like that. You cannot compromise on number size. If you do we'll end up with names and numbers and no bastard can see either one of them.

One or the other... can't have both. Don't need both.

Big no for mine. Watched it on TV and it added nothing at all... looked awful

Too small. Creases at neck stuff them up. Reduce the size of the numbers and increase size of name. Want them to stay. Can't believe how tentative/conservative the afl is with this. Move into the 21st TV century. Yanks would get it right. Spectacle is everything!

I agree. The numbers are huge now, reducing them a little will still make them readable. Maybe putting the names in an arc, like the soccer players in that picture, would help. At the moment, the names are too small, too high up. At the ground, I couldn't even see the names on the players, except when they came close, or on the screen.

I want to know where I can buy one. I saw Essendon are selling them, can't see anything on AFC though.

Loved it. Loved them. Keep them from now on please.

I suggested it to the Club a few years back, specifically for pre-season when it was hard to recognise who was who. Apparently they can't do anything unless AFL sanctioned. AFL now clearly can see the merchandising benefit this brings. Nothing like better late than never. I like the idea too - but do we need both name and number?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggested it to the Club a few years back, specifically for pre-season when it was hard to recognise who was who. Apparently they can't do anything unless AFL sanctioned. AFL now clearly can see the merchandising benefit this brings. Nothing like better late than never. I like the idea too - but do we need both name and number?
no we don't, and the number isn't going anywhere

Yes, we need both.

Name should be a bit larger and the number a but smaller.

Has any competition in the world moved from numbers to names?
What if we have two Smiths?
I think you always need numbers. And Names is cool to add on IMO. Execution at present needs improving.

The number is definitely needed. It is the main way to work out who is who at the ground and on TV. The names will never work that way.

They're a nice touch, but shouldn't be the only way to identify a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back