Opinion Names on guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

I like it. On tv I was able to match a few names to faces of teams I haven't seen play this year.

They're obviously too small for at the ground, but if you can barely see them, then why do you have a problem with them being there?

I'll agree that they could refine them though.

That soccer pic shows they have it right. Names need to be larger and across the shoulders - not just an afterthought below the neck! Names to take prominence over numbers.

I'm a traditionalist. How lazy does society have to be that we cant even take the two seconds to match the name to the number if we are interested. I say leave it off. Its not going to make a difference to whether we get more supporters or not who are used to the soccer background. They like soccer because of the sport not the names on the back of a jumper. They are hardly going to switch because they see a name on the back of an AFL jumper.

good point, that way in 15 years time when Walker hangs up the boots people don't think you've got Spuddy McSpuderson's number on your back

Because everyone wearing a number 6 crows guernsey gets associated with Rory Thompson.
Everyone wearing 23 gets associated with petrenko.

Us fans arent stupid, we know theyre for Modra and McLeod.

Watched on TV, did not help one bit.
You cant see them unless its a closeup of a players back...which is rare as hell.
Rubbish. They zoom in all the time. Too often if anything.

The other reason the AFL probably shouldn't do it is one they most likely haven't thought of. In a professional era in sports that have the names on the back, players often get a percentage of merchandise sales, after all its their name being sold. How long until players start demanding these merchandise sale incomes and how long until they are used by the rich stronger clubs as part of trying to entice FA or trades of star players. It can be argued that its a 3rd party income and has no relationship with the salary cap. So a Rich club could in theory say to someone like Dangerfield, each jumper with your name on it that sells you get 100% of the profits. A poor club that relies on every cent they can get cant match that.

I watched the Crows game from home and you could barely make out the names, most likely the yellow writing on the navy blue, with creases didn't help. You often see the front of players but seldom the back when they zoom in. Maybe they will be instructed to zoom in on the backs for longer because of the names. who knows.

I have two teenage boys, a demographic that the AFL aim at heavily I imagine. Neither of them saw the appeal, and both commented on the fact that there was no point as they couldn't read the names anyway.

In my opinion it is a waste of time. It is not useful at a game as you cant read it. On TV it is slightly better but not needed as you know who is who via commentary (most of the time).

Because everyone wearing a number 6 crows guernsey gets associated with Rory Thompson.
Everyone wearing 23 gets associated with petrenko.

Us fans arent stupid, we know theyre for Modra and McLeod.
sorry, sorry, please excuse me :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have two teenage boys, a demographic that the AFL aim at heavily I imagine. Neither of them saw the appeal, and both commented on the fact that there was no point as they couldn't read the names anyway.

In my opinion it is a waste of time. It is not useful at a game as you cant read it. On TV it is slightly better but not needed as you know who is who via commentary (most of the time).

I'd say this "at the ground" opinion is shared among every sport that has names on the back. Unless you are sitting court side at a basketball game that's probably one of the few where you could read each name easily. All these other stadium sports would have the same issue. They still have the names on the back though. Why? Merchandise. That's the only reason this is even being trialled, and as others have said the AFL reasons are just lies. Money is the only reason and I support the clubs/players wanting to do this. I imagine people who purchase any guernsey with a number will keep that one for years and years without replacing. 32 being a good example of that, but with names on the back I reckon a lot of people would own both Ricciuto and Dangerfield jerseys.

BUt half the time they zoom in you still cant see the names due to angle, the gps patch, other players in the way or simply the shiet size of the names.

Sorry but they were totally ineffectual.

Im glad you mentioned that, it completely destroys my viewing pleasure by zooming in on the play, I would much prefer a wide view of the game then closeups. Its almost as if either the cameramen or producer has no understanding of the game.

Im fine with closeups during a break in play or after a goal, but not during the game. Half the time you cannot tell where a player.

Numbers also need to be smaller and players numbers bigger, IMO numbers are irrelevant now, names on the back is the way of the future especially as given the turnover rate at clubs.

Im glad you mentioned that, it completely destroys my viewing pleasure by zooming in on the play, I would much prefer a wide view of the game then closeups. Its almost as if either the cameramen or producer has no understanding of the game.

Im fine with closeups during a break in play or after a goal, but not during the game. Half the time you cannot tell where a player.
It's almost as though they have so many cameras at the game that they feel they have to use them.

Watching soccer coverage they keep it much simpler. They never cut or zoom in during play. The extra cameras are only for replays or breaks in play which is as it should be.

It's almost as though they have so many cameras at the game that they feel they have to use them.

Watching soccer coverage they keep it much simpler. They never cut or zoom in during play. The extra cameras are only for replays or breaks in play which is as it should be.

Its unfortunate that we cannot choose which camera angle to view the play. Im sure a day will come where we can pick the angle we like when viewing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back