Names on the back of jumpers - good or bad?

Names on jumpers?

• Good

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 136 44.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh, I think it's just more unnecessary clutter on jumpers. I won't lose sleep if they keep them but I'd rather they didn't.

It's different here though.

In the US, the equivalent past players get their number retired. The clubs have been around here for long enough that nearly every number at the traditional clubs can be associated with a past hero, even if the current player that wears it is a nobody and in all but a couple of instances, league-wide, those same legends' numbers are still in circulation.

I wouldn't exactly call the current owners of the Geelong #5, North Melbourne #18 or Brisbane's #3 'nobodies', but if you buy one of the current players' guernseys, you're not necessarily buying it for them, but for every player that's worn that number in the past. And if the guernsey that you buy has a big 'VARCOE', 'ATLEY', or 'MOLONEY' on it, it makes it a bit harder to do.

Then don't buy them with the names on?

I'm all for it. Was watching the Brisbane game the other night for a bit and after Johnno Brown kicked a goal about half his team got around him and I got to learn who most of them were and what their numbers were because their names were on their backs. No way would I have bothered to look them up otherwise, so I'd learn them much more quickly if this was a perma-thing.

A no-brainer for me for them to come in permanently.

ab0b73b2c87011e3a3170002c9d524ee_8.jpg

I like chipps.

If you don't know the players names from their numbers alone then you need to follow the game more :rolleyes:.

I feel the same way about each team having a distinctive jumper. If you don't recognize the players and know which team they play for without relying on the colour of their jumper.... then you shouldn't be allowed to watch the footy.

get rid of team gear and just play in unlabelled grey sweat shirts.

Controversial opinion (WOooOooooOoOoOooOoooOO) why don't we take the back sponsor, plaster it across the front of the jumper and make the numbers and names larger :D will reduce the clutter tenfold

Then don't buy them with the names on?
People really don't seem to grasp the concept that when you buy a jumper getting a name on it is optional. Much like getting a number printed on has always been optional.

I also don't understand why people are into digging at the AFL for "trying to suck money out of fans". I don't want a name on my jumper so I'm not getting one. Nobody is forcing me to. Anyone who shells out money for one clearly WANTS ONE, so why are people who don't want one telling them how to spend their money?

Concrete proof that this is all simply a marketing exercise? Today, Jay Kennedy-Harris had "K-HARRIS" above his number as the full name wouldn't have fit. That's fine. But the same principle should have been applied to Lewis Roberts-Thomson on Saturday.

Instead, because the media love calling him LRT, and he loves getting called LRT, the AFL decide to put the grammatically incorrect and quite frankly stupid abbreviation of "L.R.T" on his jumper instead of "R-THOMSON" as it should have been.

This isn't about identifying players at all – it's about making a quick buck.

You don't think maybe the property steward at the Swans just asked him which option he wanted printed?

AFL uniform standard/regulation, something like this.....

(note: the NMFC now under the logo, and the logo now on the left chest parallel with AFL badge, no sponsor badge on front, reduced sponsor area on back, numbers lowered, NMFC removed from back, name font increased in height, better proportion.

View attachment 52338
View attachment 52339

For the record, I legit had no idea who is number 12 for North and don't know whose head that is the back of. Funnily enough I now know that's Lindsay Thomas. Wonder why.

I also couldn't pick Zach Tuohy out of a lineup, but after seeing he name on his jumper at 3/4 time on Sunday, I can now pick him even from a distance. As someone who listens to the radio for footy over watching on TV regularly, I found it immensely helpful to put a face to the names of the fringe players of opposition clubs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think it's pretty good. As with the EPL, I'm not looking to read the names while the players are running.

Being a supporter overseas, it's hard to keep track of players on other teams. Now with the names on the players' back, I now know what players like Bastinac look like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also live abroad and actually I didnt know what Bastinac looked like either, until a few weeks ago.

Know how I figured it out? (without google or without using one of the 3 afl apps I have on my smart phone)

I looked at his face after i heard his name mentioned...

Try it.

Exactly as I expected going in, the names were very useful in identifying players I didn't know at quarter breaks. Looked great on TV.

They hurt nobody except the extremely delicate, it seems.

Look, its not a major issue.

For me what it comes down to - and I think I speak for most of the 'extremely delicate' when I say this - it just looks stupid.

It provides nothing and it looks stupid.

I also live abroad and actually I didnt know what Bastinac looked like either, until a few weeks ago.

Know how I figured it out? (without google or without using one of the 3 afl apps I have on my smart phone)

I looked at his face after i heard his name mentioned...

Try it.
The commentators list the name of every player who appears in every shot?

The commentators list the name of every player who appears in every shot?

No they dont. How many faces can you see in open play anyway?

I was able to identify Bastinac as he was the player who had the ball after a mark. The commentator said his name and i knew.

And I didnt even have to wait for hkm to turn around so i could (maybe) see his name!!

Have you got a point with this post or are you just being an argumentative smartarse for the sake of it?

No they dont. How many faces can you see in open play anyway?

I was able to identify Bastinac as he was the player who had the ball after a mark. The commentator said his name and i knew.

And I didnt even have to wait for hkm to turn around so i could (maybe) see his name!!

Have you got a point with this post or are you just being an argumentative smartarse for the sake of it?
See my post #322 on P.14.

But if you think printing the name a player has had since birth on their jersey back is "stupid" as you say in another post, we're unlikely to watch footy the same way anyway.

See my post #322 on P.14.

But if you think printing the name a player has had since birth on their jersey back is "stupid" as you say in another post, we're unlikely to watch footy the same way anyway.

Watch footy in the same way? What the hell are you on about?!

I said I think it LOOKS Stupid.

I didnt say having a surname IS stupid. Brian Lake hasnt had his name since birth, should he have Harris on his back?

Odd post

Watch footy in the same way? What the hell are you on about?!

I said I think it LOOKS Stupid.

I didnt say having a surname IS stupid. Brian Lake hasnt had his name since birth, should he have Harris on his back?

Odd post
Way to split hairs.

Yes, huge difference being ""is stupid" and "looks stupid". Massive.

Yes, let's pick one of the only AFL players to have changed his surname, to avoid my point.

Not splitting hairs, in this context there is a diffrence. Also not avoiding your 'point', i only brought Lake up because you keep trotting out this 'since birth' line...

I've maintained the same opinion on this:

Visually, i just think it looks stupid.

I can say it again differently if you are still struggling.

I feel the same way about each team having a distinctive jumper. If you don't recognize the players and know which team they play for without relying on the colour of their jumper.... then you shouldn't be allowed to watch the footy.

get rid of team gear and just play in unlabelled grey sweat shirts.

Just have them identifiable by the team shorts and socks!! :p

Back