Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86969/default.aspx

FYFE%20Nat_draft_246_meeta.jpg

Height: 186cm
Weight: 73kg
DOB: 18/09/91
Recruited from: Aquinas College/Claremont
Bio: Smart forward who reads the game extremely well and has good goal sense. Kicked four goals for WA against Vic Metro in NAB AFL U18 Championships. Spring and endurance in top 15 per cent with 75cm running vertical jump and beep test of 14.7 at Draft Camp.

Video:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/51091/nathan+fyfe+highlights/default.aspx

[youtube]fsrOAPhjIyg[/youtube]

[youtube]qiaW7AW6QZ4[/youtube]

Was the Vic Country a highlight package???

I have spoken to someone invloved with the 18's and his set kicking is massively rated as his his marking. Did not see it on the video!

Was the Vic Country a highlight package???

I have spoken to someone invloved with the 18's and his set kicking is massively rated as his his marking. Did not see it on the video!
Yeah I found that strange too. That was early in the year though and apparently he has massively improved

I have high hopes for my new buddy.

Nice, accurate kick and beautiful, strong hands in the air, I think he might get a game or two this year as well.

The problem might be his in between size (186cm), too small for a KPP and in junior footy more of a marking player. I think we may see him develop his all round game so he can have short burst in the middle of the ground.

I've got a really good feeling about Fyfe. It would be awesome if he could grow those few extra cm's to KP height but if not it's still fun imagining any backline trying to contain Fyfe, Mayne, Ballantyne and Ruffles before they even get to any KPP's.

I've got a really good feeling about Fyfe. It would be awesome if he could grow those few extra cm's to KP height but if not it's still fun imagining any backline trying to contain Fyfe, Mayne, Ballantyne and Ruffles before they even get to any KPP's.

Given that both Mayne and Fyfe are still quite tall, though not quite KPP size, I would have thought Pavlich on his own may be enough as tall forwards, possibly with the inclusion of Bradley. It may be an unusual forward line, but not too shabby.

He definitely knows where the goals are. Looking at his highlights reminds me a lot of Stevie J. Just with better mark and endurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's a case of best footballer available regardless of position. In a thin-ish draft there simply wan't mids available of the same quality they are expecting Nat to be. Notice he is also an elite endurance runner already which fits our drafting strategy.

...It would be awesome if he could grow those few extra cm's to KP height...

This is a little off topic, but how much more can these kids grow further? But if he can grow into the ninetys with his marking and kicking he will be quite a player potentially.

Going to be an interesting player to watch this season and see how he develops.

This is a little off topic, but how much more can these kids grow further? But if he can grow into the ninetys with his marking and kicking he will be quite a player potentially.

Going to be an interesting player to watch this season and see how he develops.

Apparently the the fact that he has larger than normal hands for his height indicates he is likely to grow a little more. Apparently. He is around 189cm right now - I would have thought that 2-3cm would not be an unreasonable amount to add in height.

Apparently the the fact that he has larger than normal hands for his height indicates he is likely to grow a little more. Apparently. He is around 189cm right now - I would have thought that 2-3cm would not be an unreasonable amount to add in height.

Yes I have heard that comment re hands too. In the end at 189 he should be able to play FF without too many problems if he has the right attitude about him. I just can't see a couple of cm's making any difference. Just like actually having those cm's hasn't turned players like Mundy or Murphy into KPP's.

Without having seen him, or seen him play, he sounds like he is going to make a pretty impressive 3rd tall to begin with, with some aeriel ability, strong hands and a decent shot on goal.

tony modra was 188 cm... i know mods was a freak, and saying that fyfe will turn out the same as him is a stretch. but fyfe at 189 cm, whos strenght is his leap, endurance, marking and with a good set shot.... on paper he sounds remarkably similar to mods.... fingers crossed he could be even half as good :thumbsu:

He is very good when the ball is on the deck as well.You will see him swoop capably front and centre of a marking contest. Very versatile kid who can play as both a tall and short forward option. Yet another that fits my theory of having a forward line that is highly mobile and hard to mark up on instead of relying on the traditional big KPF's.

He is very good when the ball is on the deck as well.You will see him swoop capably front and centre of a marking contest. Very versatile kid who can play as both a tall and short forward option. Yet another that fits my theory of having a forward line that is highly mobile and hard to mark up on instead of relying on the traditional big KPF's.

You didn't come up with this theory after you noticed we have slightly bugger all traditional big KPF's coming through did you?

You didn't come up with this theory after you noticed we have slightly bugger all traditional big KPF's coming through did you?
No i didn't. And thanks for the backhander.
I have already stated that with the exception of Pav, Reiwoldt, Brown, Buddy and Fev the main scoring options for other teams are lightening quick scoring mids with mobile hard running forwards getting lace out delivery.
We are fortunate to have Pav and Fyfe will be a huge bonus for us when he is ready.

I watched the Mayne Minutes interview with Fyfe yesterday and he really does come across very, very well on camera. I don't think I've ever been as impressed by an interview with a rookie before.

He actually reminded me of *gulp* a young Grant Thomas with his voice and demeanour... and even his looks a little.

That's actually meant to be a complement too (well maybe the looks bit isn't very flattering) because besides the fact that he's a bit of a d1ckhead Grant Thomas is very smooth and polished operator on camera.

Yeh..I watched that too. Comes across as a kid with his head screwed on.

Chris Mayne will look back on these interviews and squirm a bit methinks :D

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/6858117/flying-fyfe-seen-as-dockers-birdman/

said:
Fledgling forward Nathan Fyfe has been likened to Adelaide excitement machine Brett "The Birdman" Burton as Fremantle prepare to unveil their second-round draft pick against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

said:
McPhee said it was hard to find an AFL parallel for Fyfe, describing him as "quite a unique player".

"Brett Burton is probably a bit more dynamic than him but he is that sort of player," McPhee said. "He can play high and he can get the footy. He can play deep and catch it.

"He is pretty versatile. He has got incredible marking ability really.

"The best pair of hands you will see and he is a kid who is going to develop a fair bit physically I would reckon, because he has got big hands.

"He is a rangy kid who I reckon will end up being quite an imposing young guy."

McPhee coached Fyfe at the start of last year before he succeeded Roger Kerr as Claremont's senior coach. He said the youngster's ability to adapt to two very different roles during the course of one season impressed him.

"Early last year we were playing him as a high half-forward in the colts and he was taking 12 marks and getting 25 possessions a game," he said.

"They started playing him deep forward and he started kicking three or four a game."

MARK DUFFIELD, The West Australian February 26, 2010, 8:27 am

Remove this Banner Ad

Back