Nathan Fyfe Suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunt actually has no existing good or bad record - so basically just means he gets no loading nor additional reduction other than the normal 25% should he take the early guilty plea.

Oh, fair enough, assumed because Fyfes bad record meant he got 2 weeks that it must have been Hunts good record.

I think both will take their bans. Rules are fairly well defined.

2 weeks lol.

Same punishment as this incident last year...

Laughable o_O.

Which is exactly why for certain incidents a tribunal (or representative of the AFL, but definitely not the MRP who should just stick to grading things by the guidelines they have been given) should be able to say hang on, this incident was the exact incident we don't want, we shouldn't take into account guilty plea/good record. If you target someone with an elbow, I don't care about your good record, it's clearly a dog act.

With the news just out on Mckinnon from the NRL i dont think there will be any sympathy from the AFL here.
"We make no apologies for doing anything we can to protect the head"
Yeah ok let's compare a freak tackle in a different sport with an accidental head clash. Good one mate.

I literally don't know what the point of that rule is.

a) both players ended up injured.

b) a tackle would not have affected the kick

So are you supposed to just stand back and watch as your opponent kicks it? Tip your hat to him and say good day sir?

Fyfe didn't leave the ground... it is of a completely different character to the ones last year. Joke.

if you decide to bump and get a player high then you are in trouble. Has been the rule for a while now. simple way around it is not bump but tackle or smother.

I just posted this on the Hawk board in response to someone saying that the suspension is justified.

'Come on man, seriously. We shouldn't sit by and let the AFL ruin our game with this sort of rubbish decision and agree with it. We are letting them destroy our game right before our eyes.

The game is not played in slo-motion. Incidental and accidental contact will happen.

Rubbing Fyfe out for 2 weeks for that is a ******* disgrace.'

AFL fans should revolt against this sort of rubbish.

Yeah ok let's compare a freak tackle in a different sport with an accidental head clash. Good one mate.

Didnt compare them mate. Because these things can happen from freak accidents the afl will roll out the company line about protecting the head and minimising potential incidents

I just posted this on the Hawk board in response to someone saying that the suspension is justified.

'Come on man, seriously. We shouldn't sit by and let the AFL ruin our game with this sort of rubbish decision and agree with it. We are letting them destroy our game right before our eyes.

The game is not played in slo-motion. Incidental and accidental contact will happen.

Rubbing Fyfe out for 2 weeks for that is a ******* disgrace.'

AFL fans should revolt against this sort of rubbish.

If Fyfe jumped in the high or lifted his elbow I would accept the suspension. But it was as fair a bump as could be done in the circumstances. Feet on ground and elbow tucked in. If you look the stills he was as low as could be. Pure accident.

There were plenty of posters (and of course Eddie McGuire) having a whinge after the Thomas clash which caused the AFL to change the rule.

I posted this last year on the 'Duck season' thread in response to another poster.
You're not fussed until one of your players is cited for it.

There are 4 grades of impact - low, medium, high and severe. The LT one would be classed as severe as bones were broken. Players can still be cited for a clash which doesn't break any bones, but causes some bruising or concussion (high). They can also be cited for something which causes a player to be put in the hands of the trainer or to show some ill effects (medium). They can also be cited for merely making accidental and unintentional contact with another player's head. Low impact. That'll be a week. Hopefully this last scenario will hit these clubs and the fans that howled and raged for this change.

I can't remember when someone was last injured with an accidental head clash when being bumped. It just goes to show how reactive and so easy to please the rules committee are. These type of people make the worst kind of politicians, as they jump from hot topic to hot topic trying to please the baying mobs, when a bit of composure is what is needed. I thought the explanation by the MRP was clear - nobody tries to use their head when bumping another player, therefore any contact must be unintentional - but certain coaches and club presidents were 'confused' (poor dears).

Be careful what you wish for.
Just wait until someone gets done for a low impact head clash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think the Taylor Hunt case is the more important one here, because the AFL can't hide behind "he had other options". Hunt was shepherding for a team mate, he couldn't tackle, he couldn't smother, all he could do was bump. He made sure his body didn't get Rich high but unfortunately he accidentally clashed head. If a player can't make a body to body bump without worrying about suspension then they'll stop bumping. :thumbsdown:

The Fyfe verdict is a complete disgrace and the faceless people behind it should be made to explain themselves publicly (without the weasel words).

And why isn't this thread on the main board? This is a footy issue not an umpiring one.

If you look closely at the footage Fyfe's head didn't collect Richitelli, Fyfe's head stayed vertical. Richitelli's head flopped into Fyfe's head. Either Fyfe has a neck made of steel and Richitelli's is made of spaghetti, OR Richitelli was moving to Fyfe more than the other way, OR richitelli got rag dolled (by being very weak/light) whilst Fyfe had his whole body (including neck/head) still moving in the same direction after the contact and his head didn't react in any way to the contact (ie Rich hit a brick wall and his head flopped).

No matter the cause Richitelli's head hit Fyfe's (even though maybe from result of the contact) - look at the video.

Pretty embarrassing!
Clearly just a head clash, can't stop that, only looks bad because Rischitelli was bleeding.
This is where the AFL need to get rid of the MRP and take every incident as it comes, no more carry over points, no more good behaviour, just 'do the crime you do the time'
When will the AFL actually listen to the people!!!!

I actually think the Taylor Hunt case is the more important one here, because the AFL can't hide behind "he had other options". Hunt was shepherding for a team mate, he couldn't tackle, he couldn't smother, all he could do was bump. He made sure his body didn't get Rich high but unfortunately he accidentally clashed head. If a player can't make a body to body bump without worrying about suspension then they'll stop bumping. :thumbsdown:

Agree 100% - as s**t as the Fyfe result is - that one is worse. Particularly with a head clash

Fyfe's bump was perfect except for the accidental head to head contact.

So. Not perfect then:p

Harsh penalty tbh. Doesn't look like anything in it

As for smothering as a viable alternative what if Fyfe throws himself across Rischatelli's leg trying to smother the ball and breaks his leg instead. Do the MRP then penalise him and say he could have opted to bump?

Or does he tackle Risca around the body, pinning his arms in the process as they go to ground, resulting in a concussion as his head is slammed into the turf..........

Might as well just stand next him and yell out nasty names to put him off his kick

Oh wait then he might get fined for abuse

AFL though will brb showing this clash to promote the physicality of the game. Bless 'em

I agree there's not a lot in it, but a precedence has been set. The AFL has made it clear they will suspend anyone who elects to bump and makes head high contact. I don't agree with it, but that's how they're judging it.

Provided they maintain this approach with every instance then so be it. Sucks, but that's the rule.

However, I have little faith that all cases will be interpreted the same for the rest of the season.

Will be very interesting if a hodge, pendles or watson get the same result if they do something similar during the season just before a blockbuster.

My gut tells me no. Hope it's mistaken, but I shan't be holding my friggin breath.

The rule for head high contact is to keep players that just go out there, throw there body around without any ramifications and hurt people along the way, someone like barry hall, not players like Fyfe, who people enjoy to watch.

What option did Fyfe have? A second before the clash, Fyfe pulls away from the Gold Coast player who was holding on to him, and was wrong footed. He could not get low enough in time to smother the kick off the boot. It was simply not possible. The other option of tackling was not available to Fyfe either as Rischitelli was already starting to kick.
So the only options available were to bump as fairly as possible, or to run away from the contest. Fyfe clearly isn't a North Melbourne player, so running away is not an option...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back