Universal Love Nathan Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn that disposal efficiency.... I think this year and last he has really REALLY cleaned that up so that stat is a bit misleading now.

It's also misleading because so much of his ball is won in contested situations which tends to drop efficiency across the board.

The other non-truth doing the rounds, mostly from Dunstall, is that he's not a good set shot at goals. He's actually very good. That myth is based on one game (admittedly a pretty big one), being the 2013 grand final.

Either way, as you say, it's one area that has improved in recent times whichever way you look at it. He's now a good user of the ball, not elite, I'd concede that, but still very good. Given he's elite in pretty much every other category, I'll take that.

The image that I will never forget was the left foot snap under pressure, goal from the left forward pocket at Subiaco against Geelong.
I think it was rd1 2012 at the three tier stand end and the camera captured Chris Scott shaking his head and smiling as he marvelled at the brilliance of Fyfey.
Don't forget also the left foot banana against the eagles at the other end of the ground, not sure what year that was. In my opinion still his best goal.

The other non-truth doing the rounds, mostly from Dunstall, is that he's not a good set shot at goals. He's actually very good. That myth is based on one game (admittedly a pretty big one), being the 2013 grand final.

True, his set shot accuracy is competitive with most others. Another reason why this myth persists is that when he does miss a set shot, he tends to shank them pretty badly. But generally he's one of the more reliable set shots at Freo.

A week ago, a few mates and I coined the "Fyfe five" for season 2015:

The Brownlow
The Doig
Player's MVP
Coaches' Player of the Year
Norm Smith

Totally plausible and I hope it happens!

The other option is to swap the Norm Smith for All-Australian selection and the "Fyfe Five" becomes more likely than not.

In honour of his 100th game, I quickly put together some of his highlights from this year. I really wanted to add some of his impressive "dont argues" but couldnt find them so if anyone can point them out, I'll update the video

the others around him are merely training cones

In honour of his 100th game, I quickly put together some of his highlights from this year. I really wanted to add some of his impressive "dont argues" but couldnt find them so if anyone can point them out, I'll update the video

Great song. Saw them in 2012.

I have been reading another thread (Pendlebury v Fyfe) and the comment made was that Pendles' rating benefits from the prime time exposure that Collingwood receives. So my question is: now that Freo contains the best player in the comp, do you think we will gain more prime time exposure on FTA over east in the coming years? And do you think more people will attend matches, especially as neutrals, in order to see the #1 player 'live'? Will having Nat Fyfe in our team lift our rating/relevancy/credibility (whatever you want to call it) in Victorian eyes? They are certainly talking about us more on Fox Footy, but on the FTA national footy programs, we still receive little acknowledgement despite being at the top of the ladder.

We are at Nat Fyfe media saturation point!
I can't believe how lucky I am to see him play live every other week! (and twice on Sundays!:D)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was that don't argue along the wing against Essendon on Travis Colyer where Fyfe just treats him like some sort of spud and brushes him away with ease. Amazing highlights - bummed we didn't get to see the really awesome goal against Geelong where he breaks through 4 Cats.

Now with added Fyfe

AFL 360 put up some great stats tonight comparing the first 100 games of Fyfe to Judd, Gablet, Jelwood and Pendles. Things like average disposals, contested possessions, clearances, goals and championship data points.

Fyfe was a clear number two behind Judd which is pretty good considering the flyer Judd got off to. Made you feel like there's a few Brownlows, premierships and Norm Smiths just around the corner.

Fyfe was close to BOG for us in the losing grand final. Sure he sprayed his shot for goal but he was still very good.

Yeah I've always thought he cops too much criticism for his gf. Other than two or three wayward kicks he was his usual beastly self.

When I finally faced the pain and watched the replay months later I was very impressed with his first qtr in particular. He was everywhere in everything. 2nd only to Mundy for us that day imo.

Yeah I've always thought he cops too much criticism for his gf. Other than two or three wayward kicks he was his usual beastly self.

When I finally faced the pain and watched the replay months later I was very impressed with his first qtr in particular. He was everywhere in everything. 2nd only to Mundy for us that day imo.
I always thought his gf was pretty impressive

Kicked straight and he would have been norm smith (mundy may have pipped him) and we might have won

It's clear the pain drives him from that day, he plays white line every game

Did anyone else see Bluey McKenna on 7 or 9 last night?
Reckons Fyfe is the 3rd best player in the league behind Gaz and Pendles - rates them at 9 out of ten and Fyfe an....8.
It is now obvious to me why the Suns got rid of him. He is that arrogant, he would think he was a better player in his time than Fyfe.
Reminds me of Derm saying on the radio that he didn't want to be sheep and jump on Nat. Then he saw him against the Dogs and had to jump on. Bluey is just trying to be different I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back