Universal Love Nathan Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

The West and Ch7 must be shuffling cards at the mo planning a huge tribute to NicNat - could be a wrap around given all the press Nat is getting.

Yeah I've always thought he cops too much criticism for his gf. Other than two or three wayward kicks he was his usual beastly self.
Easy explanation: GFs are more remembered then any other game. And failure more then anything else.

Franklin got a lot of criticism as well in 2012. And he was among the best on ground as well apart from a few bad shots at goal.

A week ago, a few mates and I coined the "Fyfe five" for season 2015:

The Brownlow
The Doig
Player's MVP
Coaches' Player of the Year
Norm Smith

Totally plausible and I hope it happens!

The other option is to swap the Norm Smith for All-Australian selection and the "Fyfe Five" becomes more likely than not.

I would give them all up for one premiership medal.

Yeah but they needed to have that on the graphic, because it's such an area of dominance.

I actually think he can be better than all of them and push into Carey, Matthews and Ablett Sr territory.

He's that good. All round he can be that good. The power and the marking are what will set him apart and we might find him in his later years pushing forward like senior and Daicos did.

To put it into perspective, senior was 185cm and 95kg

and people will say that's starry eyed hyperbole but looking at him, that's what i see
Is it hyperbole though? Contested marking is an elite skill, it's what is valued in key forwards, and it's what set Carey and Ablett apart from most other forwards in their day because they were clearly the best at it. We're talking about a midfielder who is currently the best contested mark in the game, including ruckmen and key forwards. And we're not talking about some skinny wingman who takes a few speccies a game a la Jeremy Howe. This is a kid who absolutely dominates in ground level contests.

For the two most difficult to master and valuable parts of the game, he is currently the best at it. I think being considered alongside Ablett Snr, Carey etc by the end of his career is within his reach.

Would love to see him tear apart the opposition with a six plus goal game - I think that would be the next step to greatness.

Last edited:
Misses the number one thing that sets him apart from all others.
Yeah it was mentioned but should have been put in the stats. It's an area judd for example couldn't get close to competing in. I haven't looked at the stats but I'd assume none of those could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is
The contested marks numbers look like this:

First 100 games

Pendlebury - 39
Ablett - 32
Judd - 28
Selwood - 19 (zero until game 23).

FYFE - 142 (99 games).
a massive differential. I thought Ablett might have more but that's massive.

What's the word I'm looking for... Comprehensive doesn't do it justice.... I would think those would be more over the next 100 as well.

Don't know his average this year but he would be taking that average past the 1.5 per soon.

What did the freak forwards average over a career? Where are the stats gurus...

The West and Ch7 must be shuffling cards at the mo planning a huge tribute to NicNat - could be a wrap around given all the press Nat is getting.

Just maybe they are also twigging to who is likely to win the Brownlow and who will play potentially into the last game as the Brownlow winner. Even they would want to jump on that wagon!

NicNat has always struck me as a heck of a good person who could not be blamed for the local media's absolute carry on. He probably would enjoy a bit of time out of the limelight (he will get that after the first week of the finals anyhow!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back