AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos,Wallabies, Glenn McGrath.
Tom Scully board
Tom Boyd board
Lance Franklin board
Garry Ablett Jnr Board

No he could get a good amount anywhere because he is a decent player but what club would be able to offer him more than Melbourne who have realistically no one bar him who is even close to elite
You're one of these special people who just can't admit when they're wrong. What you said was stupid, and it was quickly refuted. Move on.

Last edited:

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Hopefully he got a fair payrise. Being one of the few players that has consistently cracked in over the years would wear on you after a while.

Mogwai

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2012
The Capitol
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Central Coast Mariners
Except it could have been a wide range of issues or reasons that Mitch chose to play at Geelong over Melbourne. The fact that you're assuming its because of success says more about your feelings regarding Melbourne vs Geelong than anything else. Here's something I found using google for 30 seconds.

" Geelong coach Chris Scott has a relationship with Clark based on their playing days at Brisbane and the Cats believe this was an important factor in persuading Clark to join them.

Clark's choice was unusual in that it health considerations - where he would be best suited, with Geelong arguing that its provincial surrounds and low key environment would fit him better than Collingwood."

On topic, congratulations to Melbourne and I'm glad he's sticking on. As much as people are saying 'Its only because of money', I genuinely believe he loves the club and it seems they come first and foremost to him. Really want to see Melbourne punching into the four to shake things up a bit and show that AFL won't turn into premier league lite - with the same old teams winning year after year.

You can sugar coat it however you like, but Mitch Clark treated Melbourne like s**t.

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
It's good to see this thread has turned into a shitfight for no reason at all.

Well done to Melbourne and Jones. Gun player and would slot straight into any starting midfield in the league. His loyalty to Melbourne only increases my respect for him.

Would have loved him at Hawthorn, but am extremely glad he stuck with Melbourne.

You can sugar coat it however you like, but Mitch Clark treated Melbourne like s**t.
No doubt he had valid reasons for wanting to move on, it was the way he did it that turned everybody but Geelong supporters' noses out of joint.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
It's a terrible look to have your captain walk out on your club, so for this reason, as well as his ability to continue the change in culture, it's a welcome announcement.

I don't subscribe to the theory that he has virtually no chance to taste premiership success in the next 5 years. I believe any club has the capacity to win a flag within 5 years if everything goes right. Of course it won't be easy, especially with Gold Coast and GWS, but it's certainly possible.

Port were wooden spooners in 2011 and bottom 5 in 2012, but they had a core group of 10 that were the catalyst for a quick rise. I believe we have a talented young core that will pave the way for a rise up the ladder.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well said, I guess you would have liked to see Beams show loyalty to the Pies as well ;)
If I can find the post I will. I said in August that I hope for football he stays at the pies.

Glad he is here now though and that's out of my control.

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Melbourne offered him the most or he was unwilling to leave Victoria.

These are both more plausible than "Oh he totally loves the Demons".

Yeah, a hardy clap at the club player reunions.

Looking forward to the reception Paddy Ryder will get at future Essendon reunions ..

For a club that's constantly serving up stacks of s**t sandwiches to their supporters for a decade, a club champ like Nat Jones is definitely a cause for celebration for Dees fans, and considering you don't know the man personally, what gives you the right to assume/question his motivation for staying.

The ironic thing is, Melbourne would be a much more enticing footy club to play for right now then Essendon..

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Why wouldn't he stay? Captain and best player at the Demons by some way.

If he left he wouldn't demand a huge contract and wouldn't be the best mid either.

Jones has taken the smart money. Good on him.

Did we actually make an offer to Gwilt? News to me.

I know Garlett was approached by Essendon, if we're playing tit for tat.
Yep.

I'm not fussed on playing tit for tat. Just pointing out it was a rubbish statement.

At some stage people will realise just because they want Essendon to be an undesirable location it hasn't stopped Chapman, Cooney, Gwilt, Giles and others from lining up to join the club.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Yep.

I'm not fussed on playing tit for tat. Just pointing out it was a rubbish statement.

At some stage people will realise just because they want Essendon to be an undesirable location it hasn't stopped Chapman, Cooney, Gwilt, Giles and others from lining up to join the club.
And I suppose calling a committed club captain an "idiot" for re-signing isn't a rubbish statement?

Whilst Essendon being an undesirable location might get talked up, three of those players are at the very pointy end of their careers. Cooney and Gwilt wouldn't exactly have been inundated with offers, which enables Essendon to swoop in with a lifeline.

The point remains that in 2012 no-one would've suggested that Melbourne is a more attractive club than Essendon. Different story now.

Oct 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Exers
w

Why do you think that Jones isn't earning decent coin at Melbourne? It's all the same salary cap. Maybe Jones plays football for the love of the club and the sport and wants that to be his legacy. If you don't think players should be judged for a lack of loyalty you shouldn't judge them when they are loyal. I get it, you hate loyalty in sport. But is he really an idiot because he prefers playing with his mates and the challenge of obtaining success from the club he started at over a bit of extra money (If that) and an easy ticket into finals? Loyalty is admired because it is so often one way. Yes he could have taken the easy way out. The fact that he didn't shows a great strength of character.

Junior is in the same boat as Barrassi.

good post
Nathan Jones is a gun and deserving of his coin - whichever club pays it
good on him for being loyal to the Dees. A great leader who has consistently put the club first

How elite would he have been at Hawthorn for instance?

And I suppose calling a committed club captain an "idiot" for re-signing isn't a rubbish statement?

Whilst Essendon being an undesirable location might get talked up, three of those players are at the very pointy end of their careers. Cooney and Gwilt wouldn't exactly have been inundated with offers, which enables Essendon to swoop in with a lifeline.

The point remains that in 2012 no-one would've suggested that Melbourne is a more attractive club than Essendon. Different story now.
First of all I already said I was harsh for saying that.

Second its well established Cooney, Chapman, Giles and Gwilt all had other offers on the table but chose Essendon.

But whatever enjoy falsely claiming some advantage in an off season pissing contest.

I am Jack

Premiership Player
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Team GGG Golovkin
Looking forward to the reception Paddy Ryder will get at future Essendon reunions ..

For a club that's constantly serving up stacks of s**t sandwiches to their supporters for a decade, a club champ like Nat Jones is definitely a cause for celebration for Dees fans, and considering you don't know the man personally, what gives you the right to assume/question his motivation for staying.

The ironic thing is, Melbourne would be a much more enticing footy club to play for right now then Essendon..

That isn't saying a lot though. To be more desirable than Essendon doesn't mean much in this current climate.
Essendon battled to hang onto a life long Essendon supporter in Winderlich, that speaks volumes where they are at.

I am Jack

Premiership Player
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Team GGG Golovkin
Meeting with a player isn't offering a contract.

Not discounting it, but with Frost and Lumumba both being superior choices, I'd be surprised.

Meeting with a player passes the big footy requirements for 'offering a contract'.
If Melbourne met Gwilt for a coffee - or even glanced his direction post season - then that passes big footy requirements.
So you'll just have to deal with Gwilt choosing Essendon over Melbourne..
That doesn't say a lot of the mental state of Gwilt, so just be happy you've dodged a bullet.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Meeting with a player passes the big footy requirements for 'offering a contract'.
If Melbourne met Gwilt for a coffee - or even glanced his direction post season - then that passes big footy requirements.
So you'll just have to deal with Gwilt choosing Essendon over Melbourne..
That doesn't say a lot of the mental state of Gwilt, so just be happy you've dodged a bullet.
By that theory Mitch Clark will be playing for all (or none) of Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon!

I think the reality is that Gwilt chose Essendon over Adelaide. I'm sure after Frost (mainly) and Lumumba we probably had no interest in Gwilt. For a 28 year old it's better to go to Essendon than relocate your life to Adelaide on a 1 year deal!

Back