Nathan Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Somehow chunk is still underrated in the footy world, we have spent so much time watching crap I think its easy to miss how good this guy has become

His goal late in the last quarter was pure class and he is now an Elite potential AA midfielder

He will go down as one of the melbourne greats if he continues on this path

The amazing thing about him is he improved two things that you don't often see improved at AFL level, disposal and decision-making. The only things I'd criticize about him now is his overhead marking and occasionally his lack of defensive accountability, but if that is all you can call him out on he is a bloody good player.

I personally think he will go down as our best midfielder after Flower in the modern era.

He improved his pace too. He started out as an averaged paced outside mid who couldn't kick. Every game for his first couple of years he'd get the ball and tuck it under his arm and try to break tackles and get pinged for holding the ball. He looked like an idiot who thought he was still in the juniors pushing aside skinny kids. He looked like the worst of our crappy first round picks. Like Biff I would have traded him for a warm can of beer 2 years in. :oops:

The amazing thing about him is he improved two things that you don't often see improved at AFL level, disposal and decision-making. The only things I'd criticize about him now is his overhead marking and occasionally his lack of defensive accountability, but if that is all you can call him out on he is a bloody good player.

I personally think he will go down as our best midfielder after Flower in the modern era.

He has almost gone on the exact path ( minus the talent around him) of Sam Mitchell

Both considered ok players who have become elite decision making ball winners and both still criminally underrated

He's a star. People can underrate him at their own peril.

lack of defensive accountability
I think Roosy might have identified this as well and is giving him an opportunity to improve even more by playing him as a tagger.

Such a gun of a player. It must be an embarrassment for him to see his teammates every week not even put in a tenth of the effort he does.

Top 5 mids in the comp on form at the moment. Imagine how good he'd look in a top side.

While we're having a love fest, I am in love with Chris Dawes. That man has some heart. Do yourselves a favour and watch his post match interview with Burgo. Hope all the players see it at some stage this week.

/off topic

He has increased his speed hasn't he. Is it just me or does he look like he has slimed down a bit too?

I think it was Jones who at one point asked to get dropped because he wanted to improve himself. The thing about Jones is in a team that has been one of the worst team in afl history, he has shined. When the club starts winning games again he would be brownlow potential. Even with this new improved midfield he still stands out. I don't like comparing players if Dane Swan is considered elite then there's no way Jones can get overlooked. How often does swan kick crunch goals from the boundary. How would Swan cope carrying a team that has won 6 games in 2 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offense to Grimesy, but I reckon Jones should be the sole captain of this football club.
Yes. Jones is in a league of his own there. Nothing against Grimes but i think if we had to have co-captains maybe Cross or Dawes. But jones on his own would be preferred

I think Jonesy will be high up in the Brownlow count at this stage. Think he'll get a vote in Round 1, maximum votes from last week and I think he'll get two from yesterday. So he's started well, even though we're still 1-4.
Might even get a vote against West Coast - was the leading disposal winner and tackler on the ground. Depends on if the umpires reward the WC KPPs ahead of him or not. Obviously the 93 point loss counts against him too.

Might even get a vote against West Coast - was the leading disposal winner and tackler on the ground. Depends on if the umpires reward the WC KPPs ahead of him or not. Obviously the 93 point loss counts against him too.

I am actually doing my own 'Brownlow' count and Jonesy sits equal third on my count at the moment. Play well and win six to eight games and who knows...

I am actually doing my own 'Brownlow' count and Jonesy sits equal third on my count at the moment. Play well and win six to eight games and who knows...
Ablett's played three definite 3 vote games on top of a 1 goal, 35 disposal, 8 tackle game in a 99 point loss to Hawthorn (Thinking Mitchell will get 3, Gunston 2 and Ablett 1), so he's obviously going to be the man to beat. If he keeps this rate up he'll finish with 40+ votes...insane. Like Jones he shares the advantage of being the best player in his side by a fair mile.

No offense to Grimesy, but I reckon Jones should be the sole captain of this football club.

Was thinking about this earlier, Grimes onfield doesn't speak leadership at all. I think he would be better off without it

Dawes would make a far better Co-Captain if he could play more than 10 games a season

Why did you make a new thread? Admins should unlock the mega thread biff made

He has improved his disposal so much over the years, he used to have a kick it as far as possible mantra, but he has honed his skills so much now that he is always looking for the best option, and almost always hits the target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back