Nathan Lyon

The young man's game is still coming together, still building knowledge at a rate of knots and making adjustments as he develops. Long way to go. Signs are good to me.

More work needs to be done with spinners at the domestic level, clearly. That is where a majority of their development should take place (though Lyon is a unique case, I suppose).

Agreed. Looking forward to the UAE against the Pakistanis especially. Favourable conditions, not the best batting line-up in the world - he's likely in for a bagful.

I'm not convinced. He's better on the places that are traditionally good for spinners (Brisbane, Perth). Expecting a Lyon and Agar/Ahmed/Holland combo for those tests though

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
He's done really well. 101 Test wickets at 32 and he's only 26 years old. Spinners tend not to peak until their 30s and you can see Lyon improving every match. He is our second most damaging bowler this Ashes after Johnson, too. 16 wickets at 27 for the series in Australia is a really good return, especially with Sydney still to come.

Spin is now a relative strength of ours compared to RSA and England.

He's done really well. 101 Test wickets at 32 and he's only 26 years old. Spinners tend not to peak until their 30s and you can see Lyon improving every match. He is our second most damaging bowler this Ashes after Johnson, too. 16 wickets at 27 for the series in Australia is a really good return, especially with Sydney still to come.

Spin is now a relative strength of ours compared to RSA and England.
Our last offie to take 100 Test wickets, Bruce Yardley, didn't make his test debut until he was 30.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Lyon was excellent today, getting a bit more drift than usual and his line was excellent.
He sometimes loses the radar a bit, but his length is always good which makes it hard for batsmen to get after him.
He's a decent turner of the ball.
Doesn't have any significant variations, no 'slider' let alone a doosra, but he works the angles well.

100 wickets at 32 speaks for itself, he's doing a really good job despite the selectors occasional lapses in faith.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
100 wickets in about 2.5 years of test cricket is a really good return. If he kept that kind of strike rate up he'd have nearly 300 test wickets before the age of 30! Handy with the bat and in the field too.

I wasn't a huge fan of his until recently, and still think he could add a bit more variety to his bowling, but he's easily the best we've produced since Warne.

If Swann can manage 250 Test wickets, I can't see why Lyon can't get at least that many.

Lyon can play for another 10 years and plausibly take another 300 wickets+

Natho

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Good seeing him believe in himself more. Well deserved milestone for him.

Cant wait to see him start working on a doosra or a slider. Im sure he's good enough to perfect these deliveries.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Andrew Hilditch did make an innumerable amount of inexplicable and inscrutable decisions, but he was onto something when he plucked Nathan Lyon out of the Big Bash (although he probably would have dropped him 2 Tests later). Right from the start, he showed impressive flight and drift and was happy to fight the batsmen as they attacked him.

He hasn't always been properly used or managed (coaching/selection errors), but he's been a solid cog in this Australian machine and I'm very pleased to see him take 100 wickets. Well done, Nathan. Hopefully another 100-200 more are in store (hey, that rhymed!).

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
wait, what??

sarcasm I hope ethan??

I thought it was a typo, actually...at least I hope it was. :oops:

Swann was an outstanding bowler. I can only assume you watched him play against Australia and no one else.

He was terrific in spin-friendly conditions and mediocre/serviceable otherwise. IOW, he performed the way you would expect a fingerspinner to perform (though he's close to the top of his field where that's concerned). Lyon seems to be the exception, oddly enough (better on bouncy wickets than turners).

Back