Injury Nathan Vardy - recovery updates

Remove this Banner Ad

No, our list management strategy should be about producing players who sit on the sidelines for their entire careers, before inevitably retiring after their bodies can't handle it anymore. Players who can never string any games together at all are so valuable. At least late picks can give you depth and you might be able to find an AFL-level contributor in the rough.

They are. Think about the fond memories we have of David Ugrinic.

The way he is going that scenario might be closer than we (and he) thinks. :cool:

And I say that as a fan of his.
I think he will play at least 2s this season and then we see how he goes from there.. just the thought of a big strong giant hunched over pushing a rattly little line marker made me chuckle

And you'd be way off at this point in time.
Sure i'm way off, and you know 100% that they aren't planning for next year because it's way too early in the season. Ok then, i'll just presume that they are taking the 1 week at a time approach.

So seeing you know how they work, any chance they might think about it by round 23, or is that still too early?

Careful where you draw that (arbitrary) line. Picks in the 60s in recent years have yielded such duds as Matthew Egan and Mathew Stokes. Hartman - who was far from despised last year around here - was pick 77. Not forgetting of course Lincoln McCarthy - a scoop at pick 66. Those 14 spots between 66 and 80 obviously make all the difference, seeing as he's been able to get out there so often.
Well if my autocorrect didn't change the spelling you'd have noticed I said 'most likely' in reference to a wasted pick. That's just the reality of it, picks late in the draft yield far far fewer afl standard players and like I said their removal from the list should be absolute last resort and I don't believe we've arrived at that point yet.

In the end though I think we should put a pin in this debate for later, my POV is not going to align with yours on this.

Sure i'm way off, and you know 100% that they aren't planning for next year because it's way too early in the season. Ok then, i'll just presume that they are taking the 1 week at a time approach.

So seeing you know how they work, any chance they might think about it by round 23, or is that still too early?
Silly post. If any of us knew 100% of what was occurring there would be no need for a forum replete with speculation and uninformed comment.;)

If the coaching staff aren't overwhelmingly focused on this years' performance while we remain a final eight chance they'd be derelict in their duties. And they wouldn't be.

As for Wells, his full time staff and bevy of talent spotters would also be derelict in their duty if they weren't overwhelmingly focused on collecting and analysing information on future recruits at this time of year.

As it happens a successful list manager from another club whose son played for a local club I was associated with told me a little while back that while his club was still a serious finals contender his attention was directed toward accumulating football talent information and assessing it. And the coaches were stretched for time with team planning, training, player development and media and community involvement. The serious discussions on player recruitment and retention came toward season end.

So much can change between now and when the season draws to an end I'm confident they are more than happy for the commentariat and forum posters to do the crystal ball gazing.

Does anybody know the last update on Vardy?

He did the injury in preseason 2014 which is 16 month ago. January this year he had surgery to have scar tissue removed. Would love to see him get back this year and play a few games.

Until I see anything different, the recruitment of Stanley, on the back of the recruitment of Clark, tells me everything I need to know.

Does anybody know the last update on Vardy?

He should be 4 weeks away.

Disclaimer: The weeks are not 7 day 24 hr weeks but Balme weeks of undisclosed duration.

Vardy's case is twice as bad.

You took the words right out of my mouth Dubs.

And please!.... Can others avoid adding lyrics from the song sung by he who shall not be named.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latest update on Vardy I believe is that there is no update. So now that we are up to date on Vardy's situation I will be awaiting any further updates to update us on whether there is in fact an update or no update at all.

The latest update on Vardy I believe is that there is no update. So now that we are up to date on Vardy's situation I will be awaiting any further updates to update us on whether there is in fact an update or no update at all.
All I can say, is if there is no update soon...he shout pack his bags at season end. How's that for an update!

All I can say, is if there is no update soon...he shout pack his bags at season end. How's that for an update!

will you go if he goes?

Go Catters

My bad..."he should..."
That said though. Enright, Hmac to go. Possibly Simpson (more injury prone than Vardy) as well as possibilities of SJ, Rivers, Kelly, Menzel, Cowan as well. Not so sure Vardy will or should be gone at years end. Many ahead of him in the queue for the turnstiles.

will you go if he goes?

Go Catters
Stupid personal gibes show you're on the back foot with this one.

How long do you think we should keep these LOOOOONNNNGGGGG term injury lads on our list? 2-3 years and no games? No wonder we are struggling with depth.

Vardy & Menzel...surely we can't give them another 12 months. Nice kids the both of them, lots of talent sure...but this is not a charity. This is a professional elite football club. I hope Cowan can get going, but if he continues to break down...again, maybe the GFL is more his pace.

I hope they can get back and play a few this year. But if they don't it's over...SURELY!

That said though. Enright, Hmac to go. Possibly Simpson (more injury prone than Vardy) as well as possibilities of SJ, Rivers, Kelly, Menzel, Cowan as well. Not so sure Vardy will or should be gone at years end. Many ahead of him in the queue for the turnstiles.
Maybe, but 19 games in 5 season...sorry, 3 seasons as he hasn't played for over 18 months. If he can't get over his injury in 24 months then surely he's gone!

I'm not being an arse...Its just footy, not the Salvos!

Maybe, but 19 games in 5 season...sorry, 3 seasons as he hasn't played for over 18 months. If he can't get over his injury in 24 months then surely he's gone!

I'm not being an arse...Its just footy, not the Salvos!
And you mustn't have been around much lately, my view on Vardy, Cowan and Menzel is well documented. One more major setback and they're gone. Until then (should that day unfortunately arrive) they stay. Wouldn't even be concerned if Menz and Vardy didn't play seniors this season as long as there were 4, 6, 8 games of VFL footy to show their bodies can still handle footy.

Like I said a few ahead of Nathan atm. Losing Hmac and possibly also Simpson would help his cause to stay I would have thought.

Last edited:
Stupid personal gibes show you're on the back foot with this one.

How long do you think we should keep these LOOOOONNNNGGGGG term injury lads on our list? 2-3 years and no games? No wonder we are struggling with depth.

Vardy & Menzel...surely we can't give them another 12 months. Nice kids the both of them, lots of talent sure...but this is not a charity. This is a professional elite football club. I hope Cowan can get going, but if he continues to break down...again, maybe the GFL is more his pace.

I hope they can get back and play a few this year. But if they don't it's over...SURELY!

it was a simple question. And I've been very clear over the duration that whilst I have supported the retaining of Menzel, Vardy and Cowan, I have also stated than any reoccurrence of their LTI's would see them done.

I also suggested at last year's end they could be moved to the rookie list to free up spots.

Not sure what you have been reading.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back