Nathan Wright Player Sponsors Event No. 3 - Business Lunch

Remove this Banner Ad

Howdy all,

Please see details for the next Event on the Player sponsors calendar below.
I am pretty keen to go along to this event so will put my hand up straight away!
As per usual nominate if you are keen to go and we will all go into a raffle!
Cheers

Firstly, thank you for your ongoing support of the club via our player sponsor program - we trust you have enjoyed your experience thus far in 2015.

Your next event is the Saints Business Lunch which is fast approaching. A great opportunity to hear from key club representatives on a range of issues, we're set for a great day which will also feature guests from other football codes for a discussion that will cover all things elite sport.

As a 2015 player sponsor you are entitled to two (2) tickets to this event per sponsorship. Full details of the event and a link via which you can submit your RSVP are below:

Date: Thursday 30 July

Venue: Palladium, Crown Melbourne

Time: 12:00PM to 3:00PM

MC: Simon O'Donnell

Keynotes: Matt Finnis (Club CEO), Phil Kearns (former Wallaby and MD InterRisk)

Panel: Danny Frawley (AFL), Robbie Kearns (NRL), and Adam Freier (Rugby Union)

Dress: Business attire (tie optional, strictly no denim)

Includes: Two course lunch, beverages and entertainment

Please submit your confirmation and/or guest names along with dietary requirements prior to 5:00PM Thursday 23 July.

OK so is everyone happy with Mindtraveller and I representing the Group???

resized_jesus-says-meme-generator-my-stamp-of-approval-dat-boi-brandon-keeps-it-100-r-e-a-l-0e2743.jpg

I don't have the names with me I will add them later.

boydie and I attended the first inaugural St Kilda Business Day Lunch yesterday at Crown Palladium.

Meet boydie out the front (who arrived a bit late :p) and headed up stairs. There was no player attendance for this event, so we were not able to harass, corner or otherwise stalk any players currently on the list. I noticed Jason Blake had a name badge, but didn't see him for the event.

We sat down at our table and introduced ourselves around. On the right I had Paddy McCartins Premium sponsors, and Boydie had Armitages Premiums on his left. Both were from Balarat and involved in travel. We did polite talk about how the saints are going (how our boy is travelling!) and a bit on travel and how Jetstar is bad (previous experiences) etc. Look out for Scoot out of Melbourne. The event started with the MC heckling Danny Frawley and talking about what the day is for and the guest speakers.

First up we had Phil Kearns(?) who is the CEO(?) of InterRISK. I probably should of made notes for this. He spoke about how you can run a business from the top and his experiences from getting the call up to play for the Wallabies and then to Captaining for a number of games. He was miffed when he was selected as Captain, but got told to keep doing what you're doing. You show the right stuff on and off the field and that is why you were selected.

He then went on to speak about valves you should have in business. His number one was Being Authentic. He related this to if Campo (Kicker of Wallabies in 92-95ish) was being nice, you knew he was full of $h!t. Be who you are.

His second point was on setting goals. As a leader in business it is important to set goals. Playing AFL or Rugby it is easy to set a goal. The trophy is there at the end of the season. Back in 91(?) the then coach of the Wallabies told him to call the team, and have a beer to celebrate winning the World Cup in 92(?) He didn't know what he was on about until they lifted the cup in 92(?). Also spoke about how they brought in Physio's and Dietitians during that world cup.

Then related how they lost in 95(?). They flew on the same plane as NZ. Aus in FC, NZ in sheep (Cattle) class. They both got off the plane to a swarm of Media. The NZ captain said Australia is going to lose and will be lucky to make the finals. AUS said he was a w***er. They got knocked out early in the prelims (?). Spoke how they had gotten cockie over the years after winning easily in 92(?). The older blokes had started to push back on all the things that allowed them to win in 92(?) and got lazy.

After that he related goals to a business. The CEO might have a goal, or several goals over the years for the company, compared to the worker who is aiming for Food on the table and to put the kids through school. He said you should at least be aware that your goals might not be someone elses whether they be easy to obtain or hard.

Thats all I can write for now, and I know it's rough. Some of the dates are incorrect hence the (?) but are close. I will add more later. There was a "On the Couch" with Kosi, a Union and League player, but didn't think there was that much useful from it. Will talk about it later.

Once again Mindtraveller has covered it far better than I could have but I will add a few pieces to get it all together.....
- Paddy's premium sponsors on our right who were lovely people who runa travel business in Ballarat.
- People on my left were sponsors of Blake Acres, swapped from Sippos last year as Sippo too popular with the sponsors, especially of the female variety apparently.
- Two blokes on our table, one who was Armitage sponsor since he was drafted! And his mate who was a pom (secretly noted not to talk cricket ;) )
- MC was SImon O'Donnell, a Saints man and a very funny bloke who I thought was a great choice as MC as always kept this entertaining and funny.
- Meals were great, mushroom rissotto for entre and then I got a great bit of steak for main, while Mind got the Chicken which apparently was great too!
- Room was about 1/3 of the paladium room, with 30 tables of 8 to 10 so that will help with number calculated
- Interesting list of sponsor there, Dare only had 1 table while Ledified had 4 or 5 I think, other of note were HSBC (didnt know they were a sponsor?), Ladbrokes and few others that have escaped me.
- Phil Kearns was great I thought and gave good sport and business message over the course of his 20mins or so
- Discussion panel were Kozzi (Got call up from his table as Spud Frawley didnt show up (Poor poor poor Spud), Robbie Kearns (Storm great and now Storm BDM, not related to Phil) and Adam Frier who was a Wallaby and Union player who now is into Business Development and journalist for Rugby union or something.
- Topics were based on what is threats, opportunities to each code and stuff like that, more of a business take on it all. Guys commented on Social media and bad media affects on codes etc.
- Kozzi told funny story bout one of his last years, during preseason he took all the younguns out for dinner to have a yarn (Can tell he is big country boy when he speaks nowdays) and that all the young blokes were all sitting on their phones at dinner table so he cracked it and told them all to place phones onto the middle of table and no touching until after dinner and all of them had to communicate via talking for a night and then after they all had to teach Kozi how to tweet as he had no idea haha
- Had a handball comp which was $10 for an entry or 3 for $20 to go in the draw to be the 3 lucky handballers for the comp, or you could pick one of the panel members. Blokes drawn couldnt evwen handball and even one picked kozi, one got milney up for his and the other bloke went with the union bloke. the union bloke and the contestant that chose him threw it union style to win which was rubbish! It should of been a redraw!!!
- Spoke to bloke from the club when I was leaving and said we will need a table for B & F at least for Bigfooty so will put post up now to get interested peoples!
- picked up our season sponsor gift which is a signed guersey and a plaque, will send picks!
- All in all a good event, although prob better for sponsors running businesses etc as there was networking etc beforehand that I missed due to being held up at work as Mind mentioned! hehe

Thats bout it I think, if anyy q's let us know!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back