National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

A truly mind boggling waste of money.

"With that change, the cost per premises presented to the senate is $4,316 per brownfields premises connection"
Why medusala, do I not see you crapping on about the waste of the FTTN network to be built? A far bigger 'waste'...

Likely not one independent post on it (only when questioned).

Why medusala, do I not see you crapping on about the waste of the FTTN network to be built? A far bigger 'waste'...

I have repeatedly said that the Libs were morons for continuing with this nonsense. They should have stuck with the original plan and only bothered with rural Australia.

$40bn, $50bn, $90bn whatever scheme and cost you use.

Its still idiocy.

now I see that the Netflix customers are complaining about slow internet speeds due to copper wiring. Well they should ask themselves first, who did I vote for last election, if the answer was Liberal, well suck sh*t you got what you voted for so enjoy it.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/m...etflix-connection-speeds-20150331-1mblrj.html

Slow internet speed due to high demand by Netflix users is not due to copper wiring between the exchange and the premises. It is a network congestion issue.

It wasn't customers saying that copper was the source of the problem. It was Iinet looking to shift the blame.

The NBN under Labor was proceeding at snail's pace so most Netflix customers would still have copper regardless of who is government.

statement followed by question :)

I have recently moved to a rural area where I'm close to the edge of the blue map that shows the adsl's reach. (lol I know that Was far from technical and probably made little sense but I hope someone's following me)

From research I've done the estimate average speeds availble for someone in my area is about 2.12 Mbps and someone near by to me is getting 1.5 Mbps.

so it's basically pointless for me to get the Internet due to what I would want to use it for. (online gaming and streaming)

now for the question..

mount macedon, the area I moved to is in the roll out schedule to start works between now and September 2016.

how long before construction commences will I be able to find out that it is in fact starting?
and
what are the chances of it happening soon?

sorry about the long winded spiel :)
thanks in advance

Seems people have been getting massive slowdowns across Australia since the introduction of Netflix.

This is why News/Libs sabotaged the NBN. It's well known streaming services account for a third of bandwidth at peak hours, so now expect consumer backlash in Australia, News corp publications calling for manditory shaping etc.

More scarily, the lack of proper NBN will mean we will be left for dust as manufacturing and services completely move online. Lack of bandwidth for massive cloud based services, the wrong infrastructure for machine to machine communication and automation of service.

Hard not to brand them traitors to the Australian good, who have sold out our future so an old evil doer can protect his marketshare

statement followed by question :)

I have recently moved to a rural area where I'm close to the edge of the blue map that shows the adsl's reach. (lol I know that Was far from technical and probably made little sense but I hope someone's following me)

From research I've done the estimate average speeds availble for someone in my area is about 2.12 Mbps and someone near by to me is getting 1.5 Mbps.

so it's basically pointless for me to get the Internet due to what I would want to use it for. (online gaming and streaming)

now for the question..

mount macedon, the area I moved to is in the roll out schedule to start works between now and September 2016.

how long before construction commences will I be able to find out that it is in fact starting?
and
what are the chances of it happening soon?

sorry about the long winded spiel :)
thanks in advance

Sorry not to give a firmer answer but it tends to vary a lot. I've got FTTP NBN and it was about 6 months from announced start of works to connection, but the new version may be faster. Was just about to suggest you post on Whirlpool, as that's a good source to track works, but I see you've already done that! Good luck.

Sorry not to give a firmer answer but it tends to vary a lot. I've got FTTP NBN and it was about 6 months from announced start of works to connection, but the new version may be faster. Was just about to suggest you post on Whirlpool, as that's a good source to track works, but I see you've already done that! Good luck.
thanks mate! nice detective work on finding the whirlpool post haha :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not that I know of.. I found a list of like 5000 areas that are due to start works in the next 18 months.
I imagine, that if your area is not on the list, maybe you might have to wait.
I missed out on the original NBN roll out by a few of streets.:(

I found this on reddit. A comparison between copper and fibre

RlQhw7Y.jpg

Last edited:
As the world divests from a fossil fuel economy, and moves towards a digital one, our government reaffirms it's faith in fossil fuels, and destroys our digital economy. We are being led by flat earthers.

Well meaning fools like you would condemn developing nations to continued poverty. Improved standards of living are completely dependent on the availability of cheap energy from coal, oil and gas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back