National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saying what we already know

MyRepublic slams NBN: ‘a s*** network’
http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...-nbn-a-s-network/story-fnjwncel-1227478347225
The National Broadband Network Co has hit back at claims by a new internet player that the government’s $41 billion project will provide a “s***” service for Australians

Start-up MyRepublic has been heralded a Telstra-killer, and now the Singaporean company set to shake up Australian broadband has taken aim at the NBN.

MyRepublic is due to launch its broadband service next year providing super-fast broadband at a cheaper price than existing local providers.

In an interview with Fairfax media, co-founder Malcolm Rodrigues slammed the NBN service, labelling it “s***”, and predicting it would cause Australia to fall behind.

Nine thousand staff are currently working to roll out what will be one of the largest infrastructure projects in Australia, with a goal of servicing every home and business in Australia by 2020.

“I don’t know what [the government] is doing on the other policy fronts but on this they’ve completely stuffed it,” Mr Rodrigues said.

“More and more Australians will leave the country looking for jobs and you’ll continue to be a resource based economy — the hope of building IT jobs and a digital economy will kind of be more difficult to achieve.”

Mr Rodrigues criticised the use of fibre-to-the-node technology, which the Coalition government ordered after taking over the project from the previous Labor government.

He said MyRepublic would deliver speeds 100 megabits per second, and criticised the slower speeds offered by the NBN.

“On FTTN we’ll market 100Mbps and when people come over we’ll say ‘sorry, thank your government [because] you’re on a s**t network and the most you can get is 20-30Mbps, but we will continue to lobby your government to turn it into a fibre-to-the-home one and as soon as you get there we’ll get you a free upgrade to fibre’.”

The NBN has said its trials have so far delivered positive results and says speeds from trials have been “extremely encouraging”.

The project’s public affairs manager Tony Brown said the criticism from MyRepublic was unfair and inaccurate, and defended its use of FTTN.

“Our early experience is very positive and speeds will be very strong speeds. This company is coming from Singapore which is a very small market, smaller than Sydney. We’re doing a far, far bigger network here and we’ve got to explore different avenues to deliver better broadband to far more people,” he said.

Mr Brown said predictions that the NBN would deliver speeds of 20 — 30Mbps at most we’re “absolutely inaccurate”, and he said there was “very, very little demand” for such high speeds, the network would be more than capable of delivering them.

“The trial speed we’re getting are way higher than that, most subscribers are getting 100Mbps and even those further out are getting well above 50. The idea is not accurate.”

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...-nbn-a-s-network/story-fnjwncel-1227478347225

While I strongly prefer 100mbps 20mbps is a light year ahead of my current connection.

The download limits are almost as important as the speeds as well. Not much point in a 100mbpd connection if you can blow through your limits in a day.

Mainly TPG and Optus. The catch is slower speeds during peak.

Not that it matters anyway I live in a safe seat so I'll be waiting for a decade.

Labor's policy was to future proof Australia for 50 years. The Liberal Policy will get us through the next 5 years and afterwards we will have to go with Labor's policy again, only this time it will be a lot more expensive as the Liberals policy will need to be undone.

While I strongly prefer 100mbps 20mbps is a light year ahead of my current connection.

The download limits are almost as important as the speeds as well. Not much point in a 100mbpd connection if you can blow through your limits in a day.

The Rodrigues interview is bravado by a pipsqueak in the industry. But fine words butter no parsnips. In NZ their advertised 100Mb service is slower than their rivals 30Mb service.

https://truenet.nz/story/2015/04/march-2015-broadband-report

The Rodrigues interview is bravado by a pipsqueak in the industry. But fine words butter no parsnips. In NZ their advertised 100Mb service is slower than their rivals 30Mb service.

https://truenet.nz/story/2015/04/march-2015-broadband-report
I wouldn't even say it's bravado, I'd say it's simply a publicity grab. To be fair, it worked. I had never heard of them before but took the time to visit their website.

Don't forget the vast majority of consumers wouldn't look into such detail.

Labor's policy was to future proof Australia for 50 years. The Liberal Policy will get us through the next 5 years and afterwards we will have to go with Labor's policy again, only this time it will be a lot more expensive as the Liberals policy will need to be undone.

If you check my posting history I have supported FTTP since it was first announced. Only good policy Rudd had.

The only winners in this are Telstra who sold an obsolete, ramshackle network for 10 billion dollars.

Anyone seen the nbn Corporate Plan since the abbott-truss government took over?

https://www.liberal.org.au/fast-affordable-sooner-coalitions-plan-better-nbn

Under the Coalition’s NBN all premises will have access to download speeds 25mbps to 100mbps by the end of 2016.

ticktock.jpg

As the world divests from a fossil fuel economy, and moves towards a digital one, our government reaffirms it's faith in fossil fuels, and destroys our digital economy. We are being led by flat earthers.
In a field of very strong contenders, this might be the dumbest post ever on these forums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the coal price looking like at the moment mate? Why is India looking at not importing any coal by the mid 2020s?Must be all those lefty merchant bankers, and futures traders hey, or that greeny Singh in India sabotaging things.
Do India have their own coal reserves?

Whether they import it or not, they will be using coal fired power stations for many years to come.

I guess another way of looking at it is, how do we expect business to compete globally, when relying on 100 year old infrastructure to keep them connected?

When the rest of the world is talking about "internet of things" concepts that include delivering health, services, smart homes, we won't be able to download a movie with the strain on current infrastructure already being felt

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-12/australian-internet-speeds-rank-44th-in-the-world/6012570

According to the report South Korea has the fastest average internet connection in the world. But most connections are still ADSL with VDSL growing rapidly. A large proportion of South Korea's population live in apartment blocks so VDSL can be rolled out very quickly and it has been providing speeds of up to 100 Mbit/s. The current NBN plans, with a greater % of FTTP, will deliver faster average speeds than South Korea. They just need to get a move on with the rollout.

http://blog.jxeeno.com/analysis-164k-nbn-fibre-to-the-node-premises-delayed/

In May, the company estimated that 37,200 FTTN premises will be declared “Ready for Service” in September 2015 with another 35,200 premises added in October. However, the latest monthly ready for service plan released by the company last week shows a mere 2,100 premises will be declared “Ready for Service” in September. Delays continue into October, with only 9,600 premises expected to be activated in that month.

Not 1 premises connected to FTTN yet. :oops:

Oh look the Corporate Plan (more like a pamphlet): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4832207/nbn-corporate-plan-2016.pdf

http://www.theage.com.au/business/t...st-blowout-20150823-gj5ze3.html#ixzz3jgZeT7lE

NBN's new cost forecast is a range of between $46 billion to $56 billion with the company aiming for $49 billion. By comparison, Labor's final draft corporate plan predicted the NBN would cost $37.4 billion to build – a figure the Coalition has said was wildly inaccurate.

Fast, Affordable, Sooner. - Turnbull has decided to pick none of these.

Do you think the Labor version would've ever been delivered at under $40B??

The Labor plan at least would lead to high quality, long-term infrastructure that has the best chance of providing a high return for the taxpayer.

Instead the current plan gives us poor quality infrastructure in a lot of areas (HCF cable already struggles at times with a fraction of the users and usage is only likely to grow), a worse return since the private sector can cherry pick the profitable parts and, according to the NBN's own analysis, will likely need to be replaced by FTTP at a huge cost in the medium-term anyway.

You can argue with Labor's management of the project. But at least they were looking at a reasonable way of achieving quality broadband infrastructure. Basically the current NBN is proposing getting to the same end result as Labor were but taking much longer to get there and spending far more by going via a pretty crappy and very expensive intermediate.

Nice post, but it's got nothing to do with the question I asked.

Based on what?

When it was being rolled out under labor, it was a joke - nothing was on time or on budget.
Suburb next to me got NBN whilst labor were in power.:(

I think the Labor version would have actually delivered not only a worthwhile network, but actually something at all

its a shame the scope of the network wasn't properly thought out before starting. We now find ourselves in an absolute pickle.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back