Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laverde vs Wright vs Lever.....

Now that would be an interesting decision...

I can see quite a few requests for extra time during this years draft

Would be doubtful, but perhaps our recruiters don't rate one over the other for whatever reasons we're not privy to, potentially making it a simple decision.

Me too. Mates bag me out for how obsessed I am with the draft/trading!

Sometimes I think we need to chill out (myself included) none of the players we draft tomorrow is going to win us games next year and more than likely only one or two of them may make it overall.

Regardless of how good lever was before injury it is a risk taking a kid with a round 1 pick coming off an acl.

Given crows recent ability to keep things in house and surprise everyone and given the willingness to trade down i think they have their eyes on a player not as widely hyped but with upside.

R. Mckenzie

There is more to it. An upgrade of our back end picks in whats considered a very even draft until the 3rd round.

I appreciate what you are saying and I am in probably all likelihood in the minority, but I would have personally kept pick 10. From what I understand the Swans have a top 5 pick from their f/s with pick 17 I think?. Which means of all those that are rated in the top 10, surely a pretty good player is going to slide to 10, but to 14. Unlikely.

Sure we have improved our 2nd pick, but the team (Geelong) that has had the habit of consistently selecting and developing good players wanted our pick 10 and didnt value the 2nd round pick, that in itself is a concern for me.

Regardless of how good lever was before injury it is a risk taking a kid with a round 1 pick coming off an acl.

Given crows recent ability to keep things in house and surprise everyone and given the willingness to trade down i think they have their eyes on a player not as widely hyped but with upside.

R. Mckenzie

I noticed there is a few kids with some injuries which would be a concern for me drafting them.

I appreciate what you are saying and I am in probably all likelihood in the minority, but I would have personally kept pick 10. From what I understand the Swans have a top 5 pick from their f/s with pick 17 I think?. Which means of all those that are rated in the top 10, surely a pretty good player is going to slide to 10, but to 14. Unlikely.

Sure we have improved our 2nd pick, but the team (Geelong) that has had the habit of consistently selecting and developing good players wanted our pick 10 and didnt value the 2nd round pick, that in itself is a concern for me.
There is no doubt a move like reversing the 1st round draft order is a bit radical and there is no doubt it's going to get the hell scrutinised out of it.

Will be some years before we really know - I'm sure someone will start a thread on it in the future.

There is no doubt a move like reversing the 1st round draft order is a bit radical and there is no doubt it's going to get the hell scrutinised out of it.

Will be some years before we really know - I'm sure someone will start a thread on it in the future.

Agreed. :thumbsu:No matter who we pick up tomorrow, its just total BS for anyone to say it was a good or bad decision. That cannot be made for at least 2-3 years IMO.

As I said before last year, myself included was celebrating when we got Battersby and Spina and we all know how that turned out.:rolleyes:

Have to say on the very little I know I'd be thrilled with any of Wright, Lever, Langford and Laverde.

I reckon Langford is being sold short on here. Tall outside mid at AFL level, athletic, great decision maker, nice kick. I can see why clubs like him.

I'm sure Geelong don't particularity see it as much of a sacrifice if it means guaranteeing they get who they want. They're in a completely different situation than we are. We haven't had any picks in 2 years, so getting a 2nd rounder, especially in such an even draft could be a good move.

Sometimes I think we need to chill out (myself included) none of the players we draft tomorrow is going to win us games next year and more than likely only one or two of them may make it overall.

I think we need to do the opposite. It should be as exciting as the NFL, NBA and MLB drafts in the states.

The combine should be a spectacle. Each day should have it's own daily 30-60 min segment on Fox Footy. Add more tests. More recruiter interviews etc.

A draft lead up show(s) should air with highlights of a range of the draft picks. Or special episodes of AFL 360 could be hosted by Cal Twomey and Emma Quayle or whatever in the month leading up to the draft.

It would be better than airing 2014 replays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey has Adelaide taking Laverde at 14

Personally if Cockatoo, Weller, Garlett were there one of them Please

ADELAIDE
Picks:
14, 35, 43, 58
Adelaide has three live picks beyond the top 30, and it is likely to look for some depth in the talls department. Forward Mitch McGovern and defender Dan Howe have been linked to their upgraded second selection at No.35, and both are marking types. Later on, Queensland key defender Nick Jackson may be of interest, while they have put some time into ruckman Marc Pittonet. He's in with a shot at pick 58 and is probably the best pure ruckman in the draft. Of the smaller types, brutish Brayden Maynard is a slim chance to be still available at 35 and that would delight the Crows, while goalkicking half-forward Bailey Dale is another possibility.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-20/draft-prospect-daniel-howe

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-12/big-men-little-chance

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-13/bailey-dale-highlights

I think we need to do the opposite. It should be as exciting as the NFL, NBA and MLB drafts in the states.

The combine should be a spectacle. Each day should have it's own daily 30-60 min segment on Fox Footy. Add more tests. More recruiter interviews etc.

A draft lead up show(s) should air with highlights of a range of the draft picks. Or special episodes of AFL 360 could be hosted by Cal Twomey and Emma Quayle or whatever in the month leading up to the draft.

It would be better than airing 2014 replays.

I do agree about the 2014 replays, which loser would seriously sit down to watch a replay of a game? Highlights of course but an entire game?

I think because of the high failure rate of drafted players most in here know that its a hit and miss event tomorrow.

I would usually agree with this grotto but our sanctions change things. We have identified the need to bring in 2 blokes with picks under 40 as we need to rebalance the squad which has been starved of any decent picks.( thanks again triggy)

but our sanctions change things.

Ah yes, you are right. I definitely didnt consider that angle.

But with drafting it is so easy to get two duds that I would rather go with the "almost" certainty of a top 10 pick being a good 10+ year player.

The fact that laverde could go anywhere from pick 4 to 17 proves that going from pick 10 to pick 14 really doesn't matter this year , unfort pick 35 is just out of range of some serious guns likely to go 25-35 (mcdonald, Maynard, lamb, menadue etc)... This is more concerning to me

Ah yes, you are right. I definitely didnt consider that angle.

But with drafting it is so easy to get two duds that I would rather go with the "almost" certainty of a top 10 pick being a good 10+ year player.
Going by the data posted on here in the past there doesn't seem to be much difference in the success rate between picks 10 and 14, if any at all. Given the reported evenness of this draft it would seem that if there was an ideal year to make this kind of trade, then this is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back