Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He finished equal 2nd at the AFL Combine in the 20m sprint with 2.87 seconds so it doesn't seem like he has an acceleration problem.

Given that we don't need a KPF is there any chance we are looking at him as a KPD?

I guess if we are seriously considering him it could mean a lot of things.

1. We really rate him (similar to Phil Davis who no one predicted)
2. We could look at Jenkins as a full time defender after the St Kilda game experiment
3. We might have Phil Davis locked away at the end of next season and don't believe we need a young defender as a priority

I guess if we are seriously considering him it could mean a lot of things.

1. We really rate him (similar to Phil Davis who no one predicted)
2. We could look at Jenkins as a full time defender after the St Kilda game experiment
3. We might have Phil Davis locked away at the end of next season and don't believe we need a young defender as a priority

Would be an interesting choice, but last time I heard Ogilve speak he clearly stated that with the 1st pick you draft best talent available not for needs, and we have done this really well last few yrs, perhaps he rates McKenzie as best available at our pick? would be interesting if we take McKenzie and Durdin is there.....Rooch will have field day.

Going on recent history of drafting bigs by the crows, I will back Ogilve inn, while Rendall was in charge and had the final call, I believe Ogilve deserves some credit especially on Talia.

Emma Qualye profile:
Reece McKenzie (Northern Knights)

Born 28.3.1996, 196cm, 100kg

AFL biography: Tall forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. Extremely strong overhead mark and accurate kick for goal. Kicked 35 goals in 10 matches for the Knights this year. Father Warren played for Carlton.

Peter Kennedy, Northern Knights talent manager: "Reece has monster hands. His dad didn't play enough games for him to be father-son to Carlton, but he played in the 1987 premiership. Reece is a power forward, he's 197cm and about 102kg and there's not an ounce of fat on him. He kicked 16 goals for Marcellin in one school game and he kicked 10 for us against Eastern and he's your big, Tom Hawkins type who doesn't have a great motor but is all about power and can run 20 metres in about three seconds flat with good agility. He's just a massive unit and he's been able to monster kids because of his size at this level, so that will be a challenge going forward, when everyone's as big as him. He's a good kid, he loves playing forward and kicking goals, and I know these days we have to move them around because it's part of their development, but this kid just loves it and is so dangerous down there. If you kick it to him he'll mark it nine times out of 10."

Ha same speed as Jarrod Pickett over 20m.

Yet all those that have actually seen him play state he IS NOT quick off the mark, and takes a number of steps to get up to top speed so the combine results are very debateable when it comes to actual match play. To me he sounds like a kid with a man's body playing against kids who do not have his body development at this stage.....Afl will mean he's playing on men!

Taken from KM analysis of Reece.

Slow getting up to speed – McKenzie has a slow first step and slow first few steps on the lead. He also takes a number of steps to get up to full acceleration and does not have that immediate burst of speed allowing him to go from stationary to full speed quickly. The main limitation of this is it prevents McKenzie from turning guys around and running into an open goal. It also limits him from making quick, agile steps to create the time and space for himself after winning a ground ball to get it onto his boot for a shot at goal. As a result after winning a ground ball he will just be handballing it off to a team mate which is fine, but he is just not going to kick a whole lot of goals through this avenue during his career.

LOL we aren't taking McKenzie at 14.

Jut because we're 'into him' doesn't mean we're looking to spend a 1st rounder. If he's still around at Pick 35 (he won't be) we might pull the trigger.

Any name other than Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank, Langford, De Goey, Cockatoo, Duggan, Ellis or Menadue at Pick 14 is fantasyland IMO. Personally I think we'll take one of the talls.

Pick 35 absolutely reeks (in a good way) of us selecting Viojo-Rainbow if he's still available.

The rest - nobody knows.

Jut because we're 'into him' doesn't mean we're looking to spend a 1st rounder. If he's still around at Pick 35 (he won't be) we might pull the trigger.

Any name other than Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank, Langford, De Goey, Cockatoo, Duggan, Ellis or Menadue at Pick 14 is fantasyland IMO. Personally I think we'll take one of the talls.

Pick 35 absolutely reeks (in a good way) of us selecting Viojo-Rainbow if he's still available.

The rest - nobody knows.
But the only way we could get him would be with pick 14, thats the point.

If we are "into him" then it's pick 14 or nothing.

It would surprise me, but then again I don't know anything - and once again will trust the AFC recruiting team to get a better prospect than I could somehow pluck from a list of names that I have seen about 5 minutes each on.

It would surprise me, but then again I don't know anything - and once again will trust the AFC recruiting team to get a better prospect than I could somehow pluck from a list of names that I have seen about 5 minutes each on.
Well summed up.

It's a bit of fun trying to guess - kind of like shaking the wrapped presents under the tree at Xmas - but of course we don't know and I have great faith in our draft selecting.

Just like Matt Crouch was a universal top 15 pick.

Just like Brodie Grundy was a universal top 5 pick.

Blokes slide every year. If this rumour is true and we are into McKenzie (I'm far from convinced this is the case), my opinion is that we'll take him at 35 if he slides. At 14 we'll be addressing the need for either a key defender or a pacey mid IMO. I'd be absolutely staggered if those needs were ignored when so many blokes who fit the bill will be on the board at that stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely true, but the 24-26 year old guys still plying their trade in the SANFL do it either in the faint hope of getting on an AFL list or because they love it. They could easily leave and get paid more playing country football.
I suspect there would be a large number in that age bracket (or maybe more the 22-25 bracket) that would jump at the chance, regardless of the pay.

Yes, so we conclude that if the Crows grab a mature age rookie it will be from the SANFL. Any 196cm 96kg KPDs in the SANFL whom have had a good season, and are mobile enough to hang in the AFL?

The rest - nobody knows.

But no one has posted a 3 min video clip of McKenzie's best highlights for people to jump on his bandwagon like Cockatoo and Menadue ;)

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-15/draft-prospect-reece-McKenzie

Those hands are fantastic.

All Aboard :D

Last edited:
I'm interested to see which player/s that fall in the 10-13 picks that this board has a major meltdown about us missing out on due to the Geelong trade.

If it ends up being that Cockatoo, Durdin and Goddard fall in those picks, and we end up with Marchbank, who everyone seems to not want, things will get pretty heated around these parts I'd imagine.

Just checking back in... assuming we have no real whispers?

I've got a pic of Viojo-Rainbow in action:

iced_vo_vo_1.JPG

Sweet and interesting.

210g, he's gonna have to put on some weight to play.

He's the wrong shape for Full Forward.

Already suited up for Women's Round.

With a paint job that rosella could be a crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back