Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't worry about these players nominated positions, they often end up playing elsewhere. Schoenmakers was a CHF, Duryea a half-forward, Hodge a half-forward, but they were moved to different roles in the senior team. This will probably be the case here. Howe looks like he could be a big-bodied midfielder.
Yep - that nightmare draft said Howe could develop as a mid

call me pessimistic but in a few years I can just imagine our midfield getting smashed by Collingwood. They have De goey, Maynard, scharenberg, freeman, crisp, greenwood, seedsman etc against our midget brigade Duryea, hill, whitecross, shiels, woodward, hartung, anderson
sure, but they've actualy had to witness (not imagine) us handing them their arses repeatedly during a 3 flag period of dominance.

Collingwood have been loading up on draft picks for a few seasons now and no doubt they'll nail a few - but i don't think their system is as good at developing players as its reputed to be.

interesting to hear Wrighty thinks Dan Howe will be a tall mid/def for us going forward? who knows if that is the case or if he plays a Stratton/Birchall role?

Graeme Wright just said he was expecting to take a ruck in the rookie draft, but when Pittonet was available they jumped at pick 50 and took him..........
And he's better than the alternative they were going for at #50 and the other guy they were interested in for the Rookie? :confused:

And he's better than the alternative they were going for at #50 and the other guy they were interested in for the Rookie? :confused:

i would've loved Neal-Bullen or Blakely at 31, not gonna lie, but Howe was a good pick up although i thought he'd be there for pick 49/50, they jumped early for him maybe? or they heard another club was into him so they went early? who knows...

they got Dan Howe because he is an Elite kick of the ball, he isn't fast or have great endurance but is a great kick

i would've loved Neal-Bullen or Blakely at 31, not gonna lie, but Howe was a good pick up although i thought he'd be there for pick 49/50, they jumped early for him maybe? or they heard another club was into him so they went early? who knows...

they got Dan Howe because he is an Elite kick of the ball, he isn't fast or have great endurance but is a great kick

Yeah I would too, Menadue and Lamb, even those are more midfielder types too with versatility ( though am glad we missed Lamb too). A mature-age elite kick to add to Birchall and Suckling. It feels too much like Carlton and Boekhorst to me. If we wanted a young half-back flanker, Wigg was available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get too caught up in this - the hawks use a different selection criteria than other clubs.

We also bake these guys in the development squad and seconds for a couple of years, so don't think in terms of immediate needs. Our next crop of youngsters is:
Woodward
Hartung
O'Rourke
Ceglar
Litherland
Anderson
Sicily
O'Brien

Also add Frawley, Schoenmakers, whitecross as guys who didn't play in the grand final and you'll get a sense of just how far back in the queue picks 31, 49 and 50 are.

We are playing the long game and picking guys on a different basis to fantasy draft pundits.

Remember Litherland? Nobody knew who he was when drafted. A couple of years later and he's playing in the first and is fast, strong and never loses his feet.

Relax guys, we've got this.
Agree with all this. Other sides have to build their premiership side. We already have one that just needs to be added to and improved!

This gives us a chance to give Suckers the flick at the end of the year while he still has currency.
*cough cough* Please place your head at the bottom right of my Avatar :p

Have absolutely no idea about our picks. But to be honest, the media aren't exactly pro scouts either, so who really knows.

All I can say, we must have been damn confident & liked what we saw to use our first pick on Howe + ignore the host of smaller mids like Blakely and co. Time will tell. We at least had the luxury of picking "best talent" at our picks.

More bummed Gold Coast pipped us to Touk Miller. He looked a quality player and a pretty good bloke too. As if GC need more damn mids FFS.

If you watched the draft, waiting to see who will be taken to replace those three players, then you're doing it wrong.
well I think blakely has the potential to be nearly as good as lewis. Whereas I think Howe's ceiling is about as good as Stratton is now. Time will tell though, hope im wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back