Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
So who do people think we should target with our first Pick at 31?, some prospects that might still be around are

Caleb Daniel 168cm 68kg - he is small, but he is highly skilled and has an elite tank he equaled Bradley Hills 16.1 in the beep test and blew people away with his elite decision making/elite disposal, his ability to kick goals, his ability to run all day and general quality, the only reason he could drop to us is because he is very small

Peter Bampton 182cm 83kg - he has played in the SANFL for the last 2 years and was a part of the gf team last season, so has SANFL experience and has a heap of potential, but hasn't had the most amazing year this year and so has dropped in rating recently (edit: didnt play in the gf squad)

Connor Blakely 186cm 81kg - contested ball winning midfielder, tough midfielder, possibly could drop to our pick which could be a good possible pick-up

Alex Neal-Bullen 182cm 77kg - he was a part of that dominant SA team in the championships but wont go early in the draft, i feel he has alot of potential

these are just 4 potential pick-ups we could get............

Last edited:
This is from the Draft board via Chris25

Caleb Daniel
Height: 167cm
Weight: 66kg
Position: Midfielder, Forward

After his last two matches at the U18 Championships, the name on everyone's lips is Caleb Daniel so I figure it's about time I did his profile. For anyone who follows the South Australian U18 scene, nothing about his last two weeks was a surprise. And prior to the Championships, I tipped him to take home MVP honours. Unfortunately, his injury from earlier in the season kept him out of the opening rounds and ultimately the MVP race. But I think it's safe to say he probably would have won, had he played every game.

I'll change things up this time, and start with his weaknesses as a player. And literally the only negative to his game, is the fact that he is 167cm. That's it.

Last year, Daniel started the season in the U18s but quickly worked his way into the South Adelaide league side as a 166cm 16 year old. And he wasn't just making up the numbers, as he finished the league season by playing 10 games and averaging 17 disposals. Unfortunately, he suffered an ankle injury early this season and only made it back onto the park about 6 weeks ago now. And when he did return? Well, his combined two game total of 48 disposals, 13 tackles and a disposal efficiency of around 90% pretty much says it all.

His strengths as a footballer are pretty obvious. And I'll use the SANFL U18 Academy testing results from the start of the year to highlight them. Caleb Daniel finished 1st in the beep test, 5th in the 3km time trial and 5th in the 20m sprint. It's rare that you'll get someone with both the endurance and speed to do that. And it's even rarer when that person is a footballer, not an athlete - as shown by his top 10 finishes in both the handballing and kicking tests. Daniel can run all day, sprint away from the packs and has elite disposal. There is nobody else in this draft that can boast that. And on the park, he is even better. Ball magnet is pretty much the only way of describing him. If he sees the ball, he will inevitably get it - whether he has to go in and win it himself, or run hard to link up on the outside. When he does get the ball, he can pinpoint a short pass or kick it over 50m. And for everyone who uses his size to talk him down, they need to watch him play a lot more. He does not play as though he is 167cm. His ability to stand up in a tackle is Gary Ablett like.

Probably the most pleasing thing for me to come from the Championships, was his form around goals. If I had one question mark on him, it was a lack of a forward game and any player around the 170cm mark will be expected to spend time in a forward pocket. At the start of the year, I would have had Daniel as a midfielder and that's it. But he showed a natural feel for where the goals are, and his tackling pressure as a small forward would be unbelievable at the top level.

So, basically for those who couldn't be bothered reading that, Caleb Daniel is a 167cm version of Gary Ablett and destined to be the #1 pick. Right? Well, no. Obviously his height will hold him back a bit. And it's possible that many recruiters had him as a rookie pick at best coming into the season. But any recruiter who doesn't take note of his Championships performances and start recognising the pure footballing talent should be sacked. Caleb Daniel will not last until the rookie draft. I have no doubts he is top 5 on talent alone, there is nobody with his skill set in this draft. And as a whole, this draft isn't looking great. If someone doesn't pounce in the 3rd round at the absolute latest, I would be very surprised.

Just because there is nobody else his size in the AFL at the moment, it doesn't mean there can't be one. It's just that nobody has ever been as good as Caleb Daniel before.

Thanks fir the caleb write up. Very interesting his highlights package is pretty impressive considering his height and if hawks wanted to take a gamble on him with our first pick I wouldnt be to disappointed as he appears to be solid pickup at 31

Any chance we will look at a ruckman with one of our later picks?
PersonallyI don't think so. I would suspect we will pick an established one up in the rookie draft for cover. I think we will go for s small forward/mid with our first pick, after that I'd say a tall half back flanker and then who knows with the third

I hope we rookie Dear.

For 31? Caleb is a firecracker. Might fill a role if Hill/Smith/Hartung are injured or out of form. Could be the next Poop. 66kg is my only genuine concern. Can't do much about his height, but might be able to get him to 75kg with a few gym sessions and late-night maccas runs.

Think 50 or 68 might get used on Robinson. I trust our system to either sort his issues out or cut him loose. Who knows what would have happened if Garlett had grown up instead of headed home? Might have a premiership medal around his neck. Hope Robsinson can learn from that.

Personally I don't think so. I would suspect we will pick an established one up in the rookie draft for cover. I think we will go for s small forward/mid with our first pick, after that I'd say a tall half back flanker and then who knows with the third
I dunno, I don't think it should necessarily by an established ruck. I mean really, the delisted guys are Orren Stephenson or Brett Renouf. Do not want. Three AFL-ready guys should be enough, with Grimley in support if Hale and Roughead are unavailable.

If you want someone a bit older Sam Baulderstone from Norwood, used to tip in at 140kg, best ruck in SANFL. Another would be Darcy Cameron from Claremont. Didn't get picked up last year, over-age player now who's played league football. They're a bit more developed than a normal draftee ruck.

Them and most the others should be available in the Rookie Draft. Anyone who selects a (pure) Ruck in the National is reaching. Another rookie ruck, who'd only play in an emergency off the rookie list, given 2-3 years to prove themselves to get a spot on the senior list is the way to go I think. All clubs need that developing ruck the same as developing KPPs.

Think 50 or 68 might get used on Robinson. I trust our system to either sort his issues out or cut him loose. Who knows what would have happened if Garlett had grown up instead of headed home? Might have a premiership medal around his neck. Hope Robinson can learn from that.
Why would a draft pick be used on a delisted free agent?

Last edited:
With four spots on the senior list to fill I hope one of those is Mitch Robinson as a DFA. A bit of a tool but with some decent leadership and a shot at winning a premiership, we can be a handy small forward/mid.

Then we can draft another inside mid (Blakely), a medium/small defender and either a ruck, KPF or mid. Perhaps Willsmore will be upgraded.

I have no idea about names but I'm sure Wrighty will work his magic.

Whilst people may have confidence in Woody, Jed, JOR and Langers I ask who will replace them? That is - if these guys take over Mitchell, Hodge and Burgers soon we will need to develop depth to cover them. The weird thing is that would be like having three generations of mids which isn't great.

I think the best thing that happened last year was Langers/Shiels forcing Sewell out. That's what we want. That said taking Sewell's spot through great form compared to taking Hodge, Mitchell and Burger's spots is a tad easier (no disrespect to Sewell). Those three mentioned are some of the classiest going around.

So - anyway - be interesting to see what type of players we draft. Our picks are pretty crap so hard to know what we will do with them given the above.

It might just be that this is a particularly sweet spot in Hawthorn history with our depth and the honeymoon will not last.

In my ideal world, I'd like to see this:

Pick 31: Toby McLean - an agile midfield/forward who knows how to kick goals
Pick 49: Caleb Daniel - skills can't be passed over
Pick 50: Tom Wilkinson - outside player, endurance max
Pick 68: Harry Dear - project forward

And then seek more quality inside players in the trade/FA next year.

Only if we delist another player would I look at Robinson (...pick 77?)

I would like to give Hodge a go. I know that he's a bit unpolished at the moment but so was Luke when he first got to the Hawks. In a professional environment I think he has lots of upside

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my ideal world, I'd like to see this:

Pick 31: Toby McLean - an agile midfield/forward who knows how to kick goals
Pick 49: Caleb Daniel - skills can't be passed over
Pick 50: Tom Wilkinson - outside player, endurance max
Pick 68: Harry Dear - project forward

And then seek more quality inside players in the trade/FA next year.

Only if we delist another player would I look at Robinson (...pick 77?)

How come we didn't nominate Dear as a F/S?

Surely now he is very unlikely to get to us?

Best available 18/19 year old kids with first three picks. Any position. We have everything and it's just about getting talent in.

Pick 68 could be used in the same manner unless we go for a DFA (Robinson)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i feel like theres about 40 high rated kids in this draft pool and i think we'll end up with at least 3 of them, Harry Dear i would rate as being of similar quality to Waterman, Cordy and Finlayson and yet they have been picked up by their AFL affiliates, i think theres a chance we might get him at 68

Peter Bampton 182cm 83kg - he has played in the SANFL for the last 2 years and was a part of the gf team last season, so has SANFL experience and has a heap of potential, but hasn't had the most amazing year this year and so has dropped in rating recently

Peter plays for my SANFL club Norwood, so I don't want to rain on his parade but he would have to do a lot of work to play AFL. He only played 6 games in 2013, and only the first 7 in 2014, did not play in the grand final. Has missed a lot of senior footy over the past 2 seasons and would be looking for a break out season in 2015 before AFL clubs would be seriously considering him.

He certainly has a good skill level, but would need to add a yard of pace to play AFL.

Peter plays for my SANFL club Norwood, so I don't want to rain on his parade but he would have to do a lot of work to play AFL. He only played 6 games in 2013, and only the first 7 in 2014, did not play in the grand final. Has missed a lot of senior footy over the past 2 seasons and would be looking for a break out season in 2015 before AFL clubs would be seriously considering him.

He certainly has a good skill level, but would need to add a yard of pace to play AFL.

would you take him with pick 31 or 49/50?, i think he has some skill, he isnt too slow and moves the ball quickly and well for a mid and thats what i look for, i mean Mitchell/Hodge/Lewis/Sewell could use a yard of pace as well (even in their prime).........

i saw him play in the finals pretty well, just assumed he made the gf squad, my bad...

We have a squad of squat nippy blokes. Woody, Jed and Billy. Need to get some height and bulk into the squad. I hope we snaffle some skinny lanky kids and let them come on slowly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back