News National Draft - Pick 33 - Welcome Bradley Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's just hope he wasn't selected as the token WA recruit to justify Bucky's salary.
Lance Franklin justifies his salary, weekly.

These are the guys we could have picked had we kept our pick #24 would be interesting to know who they would have been picked ahead of Hill given the opportunity.

24 Henry Schade (Gold Coast)
25 Sebastian Ross (St Kilda)
26 Todd Elton (Richmond)
27 Sam Kerridge (Adelaide)
28 Fraser McInnes (West Coast)
29 Alex Forster (Fremantle)
30 Elliot Yeo (Brisbane Lions)
31 Jackson Merrett (Essendon)
32 Joel Hamling (Geelong)

See Draft Tracker for details.

Not feeling this one. Seems to be too many risks (feather weight, home sickness...) The other two picks look alright, especially Woodward, but I will not hold my breath with Hill. I suspect he will be traded back to the west in a few years for a pick in the 40's.

I couldn't tell anyone if last seasons new recruits are any good. Have less than zero idea about this years. Was it written somewhere that B Hill is more competative than his brother? With the athleticism that is a nice combination.

These are the guys we could have picked had we kept our pick #24 would be interesting to know who they would have been picked ahead of Hill given the opportunity.

24 Henry Schade (Gold Coast)
25 Sebastian Ross (St Kilda)
26 Todd Elton (Richmond)
27 Sam Kerridge (Adelaide)
28 Fraser McInnes (West Coast)
29 Alex Forster (Fremantle)
30 Elliot Yeo (Brisbane Lions)
31 Jackson Merrett (Essendon)
32 Joel Hamling (Geelong)

See Draft Tracker for details.

Are you happy with getting gunston ahead of these guys? I think there were others that were prepared to give away pick 18 to get gunston.
remember we also downgraded pick 29 (which went to fremantle) in that funny transaction to get boumann. However, I would not worry about all that, what about the picks we got for 33, 38 & 53, are you happy?

I think some people are not happy with picking Hill at 33 and even herald sun said was an interesting choice.

Most hawthorn supporters wanted Grigg, which is what I expecting, the other that got away was sam kerridge, looks like adelaide got those two, perhaps payback for us getting gunston from them.

As I said don't need to worry about all that as there are still plenty of other great guys who are still available, Bussey (he was linked to us in phantom draft a while ago)- 197 cm tall, Mihosek- U 18 All Australian backman, Nelson-fwd/midfielder, Sam Frost.

It is interesting that we took Jordan Kelly ahead of Frost, Talia, Bussey, Mihosek,Lockyer. not sure how many others were expecting him to be picked up, but I think most people are happy with last 2 selections. From what I have read he looks good.

From what I hear, Bradley Hill is the second coming of Tim Clarke. Given the direction Clarko wishes to take the team, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Best wishes to the young lad, and I hope he makes it, but I think it illustrates that Hawthorn went with a high-risk, high-reward scenario in this draft, after trading for Jack Gunston (which was their main target through the off-season).

No doubt, and I'm happy with it.

We didn't need to draft for right now. I am gald they've picked a kid who has a bit of x factor about him. The club can afford to wait and see.

Another thing to consider is that GWS had already taken 10-15 prospects from this draft last year. That essentially makes our pick somewhere closer to pick 40-45. I'm quite comfortable taking a project player at a late pick like that. Hill could end up being quite a handy player for us. If he does end up as good as Bateman, then i would be extremely happy. If he doesn't do anything, or wants a trade home, then so what? It was a late pick.

Another thing to consider is that GWS had already taken 10-15 prospects from this draft last year. That essentially makes our pick somewhere closer to pick 40-45. I'm quite comfortable taking a project player at a late pick like that. Hill could end up being quite a handy player for us. If he does end up as good as Bateman, then i would be extremely happy. If he doesn't do anything, or wants a trade home, then so what? It was a late pick.

if there was no one good left you could go with him, but that is not the case and that is why some hawthorn supporters and outsiders questioning the choice. He probably does not want to be out of WA, same reason for victorian teams not picking Manson. This kid no matter how good still needs to be feed the ball, unlike Grigg who was equal first choice by HFC supporters in the voting and was available and wins his own footy.

As I have said there is no need to speculate when there is abundance of talent like Frost, shane nelson,....

I have a feeling even if we had picked son of gun, Curran, supporters might have been less surprised.

if there was no one good left you could go with him, but that is not the case and that is why some hawthorn supporters and outsiders questioning the choice. He probably does not want to be out of WA, same reason for victorian teams not picking Manson. This kid no matter how good still needs to be feed the ball, unlike Grigg who was equal first choice by HFC supporters in the voting and was available and wins his own footy.

As I have said there is no need to speculate when there is abundance of talent like Frost, shane nelson,....

I have a feeling even if we had picked son of gun, Curran, supporters might have been less surprised.

I suspect the recruiters don't give a rats about who was "equal first choice by HFC supporters in the voting."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beep test for this kid looks awesome though, and friends from the west reckon he could be better than his big bro. He's a decent enough pick for where we got him. Let's all get behind him, eh ? He's a Hawk now :)

This kid no matter how good still needs to be feed the ball, unlike Grigg who was equal first choice by HFC supporters in the voting and was available and wins his own footy.

We wanted an outside runner. Mutch Grigg 'aint that. In fact, while Grigg has many good qualities, pace 'aint one of them. Commanding left foot kick who plays a quarter back role - sounds a bit like Matt suckling to me. Simply not a type of player our recruiters felt we needed.

And I think Prudster brought this up - given how the draft had been savaged by GWS, our first couple of picks were equivalent to picks in the late 40s. Plus it was felt to be a weaker talent pool to start with. My point: this was the draft to be speculative.

Are you serious? Hahahaha:D

Are you in anyway related to the great Big Moose that used to inhabit these parts around draft time?

Off topic, if Manson goes to Perth, it's as far removed from his home in the Kimberley as Melbourne. If there is a flight risk, its the same for the WCE as for any other club. He wasn't picked because clubs rarely use national draft picks on pure talent. They like to see some evidence of commitment and ability to commit to regimented training structures etc. He was always more a rookie draft chance ...

On Hill, I really like the look of him. Kind of guy that if you can get him the ball in a bit of space (we have some blokes who are pretty handy at this), he'll do some damage ... got a good feeling about him.

Best wishes to the young lad, and I hope he makes it, but I think it illustrates that Hawthorn went with a high-risk, high-reward scenario in this draft.

Apart from Hill, who is high risk/reward? Jordan Kelly looks like a reliable committed shoulder to shoulder defender, and Woodward a known high possession winner . . . really just look like some pretty safe picks apart from Hill.

Very happy with the high risk high reward strategy in the compromised draft. No point just getting another second rate plodder. Given his natural gifts, Hill has the potential to be anything. Now it's up to mentors like Cyril, Chance and our development team.

at least give hill the chance to prove his worth before writing off as a suspect pic . how many great players have come from pics outside the top 30 ? heaps .
from what i watched on the hawks website highlights of hill , he looked alright . lot of speed , evasive ... let buddy , sizzler and burger take him under their collective wings and who knows ? it could be that indigenous brotherhood that unleashes a gem .
i dont see him any different to a young rioli coming over to the big sticks to play . granted rioli had more wraps on him , but still , similar sort of move for the young fella . good luck young fella .

Beep test for this kid looks awesome though, and friends from the west reckon he could be better than his big bro. He's a decent enough pick for where we got him. Let's all get behind him, eh ? He's a Hawk now :)

Okay, welcome aboard Hill. Yes, he broke the beep test, he is a supreme athlete and will be joining savage/smith/Poupolo. Looks like we have a fair bit of speed now (compared to few years ago) to cause more damage and capitalise on the good works of mitchell/lewis/sewell who will be feeding the ball out to them.

at least give hill the chance to prove his worth before writing off as a suspect pic . how many great players have come from pics outside the top 30 ? heaps .
from what i watched on the hawks website highlights of hill , he looked alright . lot of speed , evasive ... let buddy , sizzler and burger take him under their collective wings and who knows ? it could be that indigenous brotherhood that unleashes a gem .
i dont see him any different to a young rioli coming over to the big sticks to play . granted rioli had more wraps on him , but still , similar sort of move for the young fella . good luck young fella .

Very good points. I suspect different supporters had theirs hearts set on a particular player, some may be even wishing for too much (like Judd of west coast, someone not only with speed, body strength, but can be both inside and outside player). But surely once a short period has passed the supporters will rally behind their newest recruits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back