National Draft Pick #37 - Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to know what you thought of Joel Tippett. I saw him play a couple of times in the SANFL and was reasonably impressed. Bit of a long shot, but if the choice was yours would you rookie him? He's a 196cm defender who's body is ready to go and moves very similar to his brother. Just not as classy.

Jesus, Joel Tippett has less class than Kurt Tippett? The man who had a contract essentially enabling him to leave unconditionally for money and flags? Abort, abort, abort.

Interesting, so if our recruiters see him the same as Quigley we may have drafted a KPD after all.

I was also getting a Dustin Fletcher vibe watching that highlights clip.

Karl Langdon hinted that Howson was moved on by the playing group and that it wasn't a mental issue does anyone have knowledge about this because it seems very strange and the Club has been mute on the whole thing

Howson was diagnosed with anemia and was told by Doctors he couldn't play footy for a year. Sad news for the kid but hopefully he makes a strong comeback and gets given another opportunity at the top level.

Howson was diagnosed with anemia and was told by Doctors he couldn't play footy for a year. Sad news for the kid but hopefully he makes a strong comeback and gets given another opportunity at the top level.
If that's the case, then Karl Langdud is even more of a spanker than I originally had him pegged for. Why start some BS rumor about a young kid when there's no basis to it. Personally, even if that was true, Karl should keep his mouth shut regardless. I might have to go watch some of those "AFL hits" videos now. Hopefully they'll have the clip where Karl gets dumped on his butt in the centre square. What a pecker head.

If that's the case, then Karl Langdud is even more of a spanker than I originally had him pegged for. Why start some BS rumor about a young kid when there's no basis to it. Personally, even if that was true, Karl should keep his mouth shut regardless. I might have to go watch some of those "AFL hits" videos now. Hopefully they'll have the clip where Karl gets dumped on his butt in the centre square. What a pecker head.

I heard on the radio when Karl spoke about this. Unless he spoke again at another time, he did not name the player; just said that he is no longer at the club. He was talking about the power of the leadership group at Freo, that they were the ones who said that the player doesn't fit in, and that the football department listened.
I thought Karl was talking about Mellington, Coulda seems sure it was about Howson. I agree he was casting aspersions about one of our ex players. But it wasn't as bad as is being made out on this forum.

I heard on the radio when Karl spoke about this. Unless he spoke again at another time, he did not name the player; just said that he is no longer at the club. He was talking about the power of the leadership group at Freo, that they were the ones who said that the player doesn't fit in, and that the football department listened.
I thought Karl was talking about Mellington, Coulda seems sure it was about Howson. I agree he was casting aspersions about one of our ex players. But it wasn't as bad as is being made out on this forum.
Thanks for the clarification.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should have stated that during the season Mellington wasn't delisted .
Also in the statement Karl's reference was that during the year the players leadership group asked the Club to delist a player .
After comments from other BF posters close to the kid it has been now made quite clear it was a medical condition not the players or anything the kid could control that cause the delisting and I wish him a speedy recovery and hope that when he is healthy he has another shot at playing AFL footy with us or any other team .

Aaron Black was in this draft and he is better than Butcher. Not that we should of drafted him in the range he was going.

Touche on Black and Reid (as someone else pointed out). However with the current trend, he is more of your tall half forward flanker at 192cm!

I think Apeness still looks like the best choice out of all forwards that went after our first pick in the last 4-5 years, bar Reid. Although Reid has really struggled of late as he got more attention from the bigger key defenders following his first good season a year or two back.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I've been following this page a bit and it seems half decent.

Interesting write up on our draftees (especially Pearce).

http://www.scpaige.com.au/2013-national-draft-verdict/

Pick 37: ALEX PEARCE (Devonport) 199cm, 87kg
Alex Pearce is agile, and is incredibly mobile for his size. He displayed the ability to take some big pack marks, and has a really good burst of speed on the lead, and an explosive leap that sees him really elevate over packs. Like any notable forward, Pearce knows how to body up well, and more importantly protect the drop of the ball. He naturally takes marks out in front, and loves to draw his opponent deep into the square where you’d back him in just about every time. Pearce has a simple yet effective set shot and is quite reliable from different positions in the forward 50. The big tick for mine, was his National combine results, which I had the pleasure of witnessing him run a 15.5 beep test (third overall) and then the next day Pearce ran a fantastic 10.06 3km time-trial to finish eighth overall.

Verdict: 8.5/10
Really love what Fremantle have done at the draft table, and they’ve delivered some gems in the way of guns forward Michael Apeness and Alex Pearce, obviously planning for the future. The addition of Brady Grey screams Fremantle. The young Indigenous midfielder-forward has an array of talent, and adds another influx of speed to an already quick midfield. He could be utilised more in the forward line, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Dockers utilise his speed and precision kicking out of defence for something different. The Dockers don’t have any gaping areas to fill, but they’ve certainly looked to the future with their selections.

Nice to see a positive take on our draft picks after that shitful spuntah they reeled off on that other site. Fancy writing off Apeness so early!?!? Flogs.

It wasn't just that they wrote off Apeness, but they criticised us for taking the 3rd best tall in the draft (and best available at 17) when it is clear to everyone we are out to improve our KPP depth! My mind is boggled.

It wasn't just that they wrote off Apeness, but they criticised us for taking the 3rd best tall in the draft (and best available at 17) when it is clear to everyone we are out to improve our KPP depth! My mind is boggled.
I was spewing when GWS took McCarthy. But after watching all available video and write ups on him, I think he may be a better fit for a key target than McCarthy. I wonder how highly rated he would have been had he not done a knee? Besides, as has been mentioned before we'll probably get McCarthy in a couple of years once he decides living in Sydney sucks, and that Orange and Charcoal is never a good look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back