National Draft Pick #58 - Brady Grey

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but i recon he moves a bit like the Wizard -in his younger days........or maybe it was because he was wearing the number 33 in a couple of those highlights ?
I think he looks like belly when he is bouncing the ball but thats where it ends

Looks like another Lachie Neale type steal on our hands here, loved his second and third efforts and run downs in that clip. Like how his teammates would always look to feed it off to him as well, has a lot of confidence :thumbsu:

Kicking looks fine and will only improve as well, nice centering passes and kicks to advantage.

If Ballas/Sonny are struck down next year for whatever reason (god forbid) it looks like he could probably come in and have an impact. Maybe he won't kick many goals but he looks like a classic Lyon forward pressure player to me.

I am hoping a Roger Hayden type...time will tell and at that pick a lottery. We lack a speedy back pocket

not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but i recon he moves a bit like the Wizard -in his younger days........or maybe it was because he was wearing the number 33 in a couple of those highlights ?
I think he looks like belly when he is bouncing the ball but thats where it ends

Nicname. ... Gandalf (the Grey).

Just watched his highlights vid and agree with many of the comparisons here....a hybrid of Peter Bell and The Wiz.

Will be a tough call, but going on 4 minutes of highlights you would have to think that he'll be putting pressure on the 22 next year. Exciting prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Brady crack our B22 this season?

AFL Debut
Rd 23 2015 - 20 disposals (11 kicks), 3 marks, 3 r50s, 1 i50, 0 goals

Basic Stats (WAFL)
Rd 1 - 11 disposals (8 kicks), 3 marks, 6 tackles, 1 i50, 0 goals
Rd 2 - 16 disposals (9 kicks), 4 marks, 12 tackles, 2 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 3 - 23 disposals (11 kicks), 4 marks, 3 tackles, 2 i50s, 0 goals
Rd 4 - 19 disposals (10 kicks), 2 marks, 7 tackles, 3 i50s, 0 goals

Coach's Comments
Rd 1 - Had 11 touches and delivered his usual attack on the ball and commitment across halfback.
Rd 2 - Played in the midfield and was accountable for East Freo’s Liam Anthony, an ex AFL player who had 34 touches last week. Grey did a great job keeping him to 23 touches this week.
Rd 3 - Played midfield and had a run with role on Riggio. He kept their best midfielder to just 16 touches while gathering 23 touches and was strong in the contest all day.
Rd 4 - Played midfield all game and played on East Perth’s Kane Lucas. He had solid game but was a bit quieter after half time.

Recruited as a midfielder he seems to be seen primarily as a negating small defender, and he's already proved he has the potential to succeed in this role by doing a really good job on Wingard in his debut last year. Playing at Peel for over 12 months now has revealed he is quite versatile. He has a few good tools to work with given he was way down the order at pick #58 in the 2013 draft:
  • Athletic - good speed and agility.
  • Aggressive - knows how to apply a strong tackle.
  • Ball Winner - doesn't mind getting in amongst it.
  • Versatility - can negate a small defender or possibly play through the middle.
I think his best chance to find a spot in our seniors is still as a negating small defender and those opportunities also look a little limited currently but maybe he'll get lucky. There are question marks over his disposal but he seems to be improving based on the reports so far this year. If we were to look at utilising him on the inside then he'd likely need to clean this up even further. Encouragingly he's been playing good football through the centre at WAFL level. I think, if possible, we have to reward players showing consistently good form at WAFL, and I think Brady fits that category.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back