NBL Confirms 2nd Melbourne team will either be the SEM Magic or the South Dragons

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Read in Fridays paper that the League has confirmed that there are two official bids for the 2nd Melbourne team, South Dragons and very surprisingly the South East Melbourne Magic, with the Dragons a few steps ahead.

I'd love to see the Magic return, however gut feeling says the Dragons will get in.

Would love to see the NM Giants return, but obviously that is never going to happen. :(

Got a small soft spot for Melbourne given D-Mac is at the helm, but take very little interest in the league these days, apart from occasionally falling asleep in front of the TV on a Friday watching a game.

Not enough quality players in the nbl as it is, another team will dilute it even more. There is no money in it like the nineties so even the imports are bit hit and miss. Any young player now days heading to colledge then to over seas to make a $$ or two.

Pretty much. The trend is that thr nbl is shrinking in terms of revenue when you take out the outlier which is the wildcats. Just because melbourne united didn't flop yet means not time toccreate a new team

And on that. They renamed melbourne because they wanted to ******* consolidate fans in victoria. Then they want another team? * me

I think quality wisem yeah another team or two wouldn't be the worst thing on value of talent. However your constantly competing with a system which any young star is off to america. A guy who wants to make a living just playing basketball is off to europe. If you cant pay 3 to 4 blokew in the league the 70,000+ why bother?

bloody hell, Melbourne can barely support one team, let alone two! orthough i do like the possiblity of the home games being held at the state basketball center in knox. Upgrayedd your spot on, melbourne united must be spewing. These second melbourne teams are a big reason so many basketball fans in melbourne show no interest in the tigers/united.

I've always supported the second Melbourne team and in particular the dragons, never showed much interest in the tigers once the dragons folded. Orthough this year ive been getting around the united team, you could say the rebranding worked on me. This second team is going to confuse the s**t out of me.. who do i support?? haha

I know.

At least if they named themselves South Melbourne you'd know who they are.
Mind you, Western Bulldogs, West Coast.

Western what, West Coast of where?
West coast was picked due to helping the state get behind the new team joining the VFL and try not to have a "Perth/Fremantle" which would have put off a few supporters of the WAFL teams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair
Wouldn't be the first time.

Fair point, the Magic were founded in 1992 and only lasted a few successful years before merging with North.

Souths were similar story, new team, folded after being successful.

However they withdrew in protest didn't they?

Why don't they give a team to Bendigo? 140k people live there, they have a hugely popular and successful women's team and Basketball is only behind AFL footy there. I've been to a women's game and I'm not sure their stadium would suit but surely with some government support/funding they could upgrade to have a nice little 5k seated stadium. They would sell it out every match and would bring exposure to the region, I think regional Victoria is the only way this will be commercially viable for the medium to long term.

Why don't they give a team to Bendigo? 140k people live there, they have a hugely popular and successful women's team and Basketball is only behind AFL footy there. I've been to a women's game and I'm not sure their stadium would suit but surely with some government support/funding they could upgrade to have a nice little 5k seated stadium. They would sell it out every match and would bring exposure to the region, I think regional Victoria is the only way this will be commercially viable for the medium to long term.

Apart from the location of Bendigo stadium, this would be fantastic. Bendigo gets behind the Spirit so I'd imagine a men's team would bring in a few more.

I use to go for South dragons, not sure I want them to enter again. The NBL looks so bad, I haven't watched a game in years. I hated the Tigers, their stadium was so amateur. It had 0 atmosphere, the dragons did it so well at Hisense.
They ruined the NBL years ago with the rule changes

Eastside/Nunawading Spectres playing out at Knox would be fabulous!!

I went to a game last year, and the first thing that struck me was the price. I think it was 40-50 bucks a ticket.

This is after we had to walk 30 minutes in 35 degree heat because the 29 parks at the stadium were full.

Herein lies the problem with the NBL.

Cheaper to go to the SANFL Grand Final, in fact it was less than $30 for concession and was just over $30 full price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back