Toast ND Pick #13 - Welcome to Freo Lachie Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely us not taking a tall with a our first pick would be on par or worse with the Eagles taking a 'vanilla' player with theirs.

Weller looks to be a great prospect - but could hardly be considered a steal given that the three picks immediately preceding his selection were all midfielders as well. That being said he seems like a much better option than both Simpson and Sheridan as a first round midfielder.

It will be interesting to see how he will fit into the side -could he maybe fit in as one of the depth midfielders or sub early on? Or would he most likely play off a half forward flank or something like that?

Surely us not taking a tall with a our first pick would be on par or worse with the Eagles taking a 'vanilla' player with theirs.

Weller looks to be a great prospect - but could hardly be considered a steal given that the three picks immediately preceding his selection were all midfielders as well. That being said he seems like a much better option than both Simpson and Sheridan as a first round midfielder.

It will be interesting to see how he will fit into the side -could he maybe fit in as one of the depth midfielders or sub early on? Or would he most likely play off a half forward flank or something like that?
This kid will go past Shero next year. Serious gun.

Have you actually watched Duggan's highlights? Man was roosting 60 metres with ease, making great decision plus he is almost a full year younger than most other draftees.

Yes, Weller has more pace, but don't act like Duggan's highlights weren't very impressive aswell.

Blakely doesn't have blistering pace, quite the opposite, does that make him vanilla?

Hey, we need some vanilla to go with our array of other dazzling flavours. No one wants a whole tub of vanilla.

Duggan will be a player

I don't doubt that he could be a real get, but from this armchair he seems to be a Gaff clone. Bar Yeo, WCE midfield lacks dynamic players, they could've done with a point of difference. Lamb very well could be that pick-up, will need to tidy up his skills though.

Duggan will be a player

Well I know WC can make some stupid, drug fuelled decisions at times Lach....but I doubt they drafted him to be a water boy or runner.

Well I know WC can make some stupid, drug fuelled decisions at times Lach....but I doubt they drafted him to be a water boy or runner.

You're forgetting the possibility of incarceration. He might be an inmate not a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which becomes irrelevant in 3 years time

You're more optimistic than me. Dimensions similar to the MCG which isn't exactly a small ground either though. With Duggan being taken a pick before Weller and both being mids I imagine the mudslinging over the next few years will be pretty intense from our respective fans. Have to say I'm looking forward to the Duggan/Lamb vs Weller/Blakely battles in years to come, should add an interesting aspect to derbies.

I actually think both clubs will have done well. Based on what I'd been reading prior to the draft, if you had asked me who is wanted out of the four between the clubs I would have wanted weller over Duggan, but lamb ahead of blakely...

I actually think both clubs will have done well. Based on what I'd been reading prior to the draft, if you had asked me who is wanted out of the four between the clubs I would have wanted weller over Duggan, but lamb ahead of blakely...

Yes I agree with this, but would probably have preferred;
Lever/Durdin/Goddard and Blakely.

We drafted what I thought WC would, and Adelaide drafted what I thought we would. Pretty happy with how it worked out for us, but I will keep an eye on Lever too.

You're more optimistic than me. Dimensions similar to the MCG which isn't exactly a small ground either though. With Duggan being taken a pick before Weller and both being mids I imagine the mudslinging over the next few years will be pretty intense from our respective fans. Have to say I'm looking forward to the Duggan/Lamb vs Weller/Blakely battles in years to come, should add an interesting aspect to derbies.

I think it just goes to show how level this draft was. I'd be happy with either Duggan/Lamb or Weller/Blakely. I think it will come down to player development from here, with Lamb the most likely to be a bust, but also with the most potential to be a star (huge ifs involved though).

As for those comparing Duggan to Gaff, Gaff is the most one sided player on our list while Duggan appears to be excellent on both feet. I think the ability to be genuinely dual sided is often overlooked by supporters, but what it means is that any speed Duggan lacks will often be nullified by the fact he can go off both feet. I watch a fair few freo games, and as quick as D Pearce is, it often doesn't help him as he has no opposite foot and has to run around to get onto his left. Just my two cents though, Mitchell is obviously the prototypical dual sided player, and he never looks slow.

Still a bloody long off season ahead :(

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-01/freo-draftees-to-heed-brothers-advice

Came across really well here. You can hear a bit of quiver in his voice and he seems a little overawed, but held his cool and gave off some answers that put in him in a good light. Bloke could barely contain his smile too – complete with the "be cool, don't laugh" tongue-in-mouth game. Just one sign but good to see. I don't hold high hopes for our last two picks but I reckon this bloke could come in straight away and be the kind of injection Freo need.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-12-01/freo-draftees-to-heed-brothers-advice

Came across really well here. You can hear a bit of quiver in his voice and he seems a little overawed, but held his cool and gave off some answers that put in him in a good light. Bloke could barely contain his smile too – complete with the "be cool, don't laugh" tongue-in-mouth game. Just one sign but good to see. I don't hold high hopes for our last two picks but I reckon this bloke could come in straight away and be the kind of injection Freo need.

This all augers well SA, along with the fact that he can play footy!

4 and 5 aren't there to knock the kid, they are legitimate questions that I am asking becAuse I really haven't seen him at any level play beforw

You were knocking the kid (degrading his credentials) No harm in that, as you said he still has allot to prove.

But the double-speak gets to me. ;)

This all augers well SA, along with the fact that he can play footy!

Certain personality traits play a role in how players develop, sure. But being a good bloke ins't one of them.
I've seen plenty of cocky assholes succeed and plenty of good blokes fail in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back