Toast ND Pick #18 - Welcome to St Kilda JADE GRESHAM.

Remove this Banner Ad

stoked with Gresh. I was one who wanted Matho, but seeing as our recruiters weren't interested in him - it doesn't make me feel like we missed out on him.

hope the little gun gets some game time next year, and I want him to get Leigh's 11 when he retires :cool: (that won't be for a few years yet though, so might not happen)

So, sliding doors? If the judges give him the 3 votes for that Gippsland game instead of 1, Gresh wins the Morrish, Oliver doesn't... so Melbourne doesn't buy into the hype for Oli and pick him at 3... Gresh gets that hype instead... we don't get the Gresh.

Never been happier about 3 votes in my life.

Last edited:
There've been lots of comparisons to Lewis Taylor, would those who know say that Gresham is as quick and evasive?
I definitely hope he's a more damaging player than him. Most ineffective possessions I've ever seen, right up there with Cotchin.

So, sliding doors? If the judges give him the 3 votes for that Gippsland game instead of 1, Gresh wins the Morrish, Oliver doesn't... so Melbourne doesn't buy into the hype for Oli and pick him at 3... Gresh gets that hype instead... we don't get the Gresh.

Never been happier about 3 votes in my life.

I love oliver so i don't think they will be too sorry. I'm super happy about the Gresh though. I was one of the Gresham cheer squad on here - seemed like the best available at our pick to fit our needs. I still reckon Hawks killed the draft they got all the guys I liked- I reckon Lovell will be Jack Steven like- so will Gresham. He's the one I'm most excited about and I can imagine him playing regular footy next year. I don't rate the trend for tall mids- about one in every 10 actually seems capable but it doesn't stop everyone grabbing them when they come up.

I definitely hope he's a more damaging player than him. Most ineffective possessions I've ever seen, right up there with Cotchin.

Gresham has elite kicking according to Champion data.

Gresham has elite kicking according to Champion data.
Accuracy is one thing, but how damaging is he? Can he cut through to get the ball into good situations for us or does he play safe? I remember reading a query about how damaging he is which is my only concern about him.

Accuracy is one thing, but how damaging is he? Can he cut through to get the ball into good situations for us or does he play safe? I remember reading a query about how damaging he is which is my only concern about him.

Not being a recruiter and from watching a few replay games and highlights I can't say I noticed it as a deficiency. I thought Matho was more likely to get the ball and just pump it forward to anywhere. He looked like CJ to me. Gresham didn't look wow with laser passing but according to Champion data he is in the top categories for just about everything. They said they rated him statistically around the 12th best player in the draft. He just doesn't really do anything badly. He looks well rounded with everything as it should be to make it as a very good mid.

Watched a couple of Metro games and you definitely notice his impact, whether it's coming out of congestion, spotting up or pumping dangerous balls into the foward line or even getting on the end of it in the forward 50. He's quality.

Not being a recruiter and from watching a few replay games and highlights I can't say I noticed it as a deficiency. I thought Matho was more likely to get the ball and just pump it forward to anywhere. He looked like CJ to me. Gresham didn't look wow with laser passing but according to Champion data he is in the top categories for just about everything. They said they rated him statistically around the 12th best player in the draft. He just doesn't really do anything badly. He looks well rounded with everything as it should be to make it as a very good mid.
That's what was said. "He doesn't do anything badly" but the query was whether he was really able to change a game or grab it by the scruff of its neck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what was said. "He doesn't do anything badly" but the query was whether he was really able to change a game or grab it by the scruff of its neck.
Yes - is known to take on the responsbility to get his team over the line.

I guess that's the difference in getting a kid in the top 8 or so picks and a teens pick. These are usually the picks a finalist would get so you are always going to get a guy with a few question marks. He's as good as we were going to get at that pick with out wildly speculating. He is small which devalued him somewhat, better than a skills or character deficiency IMO.

Having his mate Nick OKearney join us will help Jade settle in easier at the Saints, a bit like Sinclair and Billings last year.
Was going to post the same thing! Both seem very professional too, which will hopefully help them push each other.

Hopefully Bailey and Brandon will have the same benefits of their friendship!

Having his mate Nick OKearney join us will help Jade settle in easier at the Saints, a bit like Sinclair and Billings last year.
Was going to post the same thing! Both seem very professional too, which will hopefully help them push each other.

Hopefully Bailey and Brandon will have the same benefits of their friendship!
We've been very good on this haven't we...

- Billings and Sinclair (and McKenzie)
- Paddy and Hugh (and Lonie)
- Gresham and O'Kearney
- White and Rice

You win flags around such relationships; mates will find that extra 5% for their mates.

We'll be going alright if it works out as well as those two have. :thumbsu:

I remember a number of talent scouts commenting on his ability to pull his team over the line. Finds his own ball when he needs to. Runs past opponents when he needs to and kicks goals when he needs to.

Once again I'm not talking about effort or will, I'm talking more skill and choices. But Gringo is right about elite damaging disposal being more if a top 5 type trait- that's why it's called 'elite' I guess. Not unhappy with Gresh, BTW.

Once again I'm not talking about effort or will, I'm talking more skill and choices. But Gringo is right about elite damaging disposal being more if a top 5 type trait- that's why it's called 'elite' I guess. Not unhappy with Gresh, BTW.
cant speak for his choices in games but the skill is there. he got a perfect score in goal kicking and finished equal third in field kicking as well as top 10 in quick hands test at the draft combine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back