ND Pick 39 - Max Duffy

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha, that Bulldogs video is great. Looks like his arrogance and self-belief could come in handy. Blokes with that kind of gall don't usually get intimidated by older, big name AFL players, so I'm looking forward to it.

The look away handball and the ball carrying was pretty impressive in a weird way. Good to see that he's prepared to do the old underground-y – an art that's seriously dying in the AFL.

EDIT: I remember that 4x handball to himself at the Foundation Day derby. I remember thinking "what's with this bloke? Number 69 and pulling this s**t?" but I guess that's positive confidence. I'm still laughing.

Why are his highlights in a western Bulldogs video - almost as if they drafted him?

Does freo have a highlights package of other teams draftees?

Why are his highlights in a western Bulldogs video - almost as if they drafted him?

Does freo have a highlights package of other teams draftees?

It was a pre-draft video and part of a guess the draftee game

Plenty of confidence, rates his leg speed obviously. If he keeps the speed with a tad more bulk he could be anything

Ross will cure him or kill him.

Love the look away hand balls - it might as well be a basketball.
I also liked the look of the efficiency he was getting on those look away handpasses, he must've taken 2 dozen bounces during that video too. Re: the repeated handballs out in front? if that screws up at AFL level he will look like an absolute moo.

I have to say that after the build up to the draft and watching the highlights videos of Duffy (in addition to Simpson) that I am impatient and just fanging for season 2013 to begin already. I find the offseason hard to deal with, the only other sports I like are hard to follow regularly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, just watched that vid. Liking this pick more and more, takes the game on, makes no excuses. Freak stuff!

I've seen a bit of Duffy last year. If you like Ballantyne then I think you will like Duffy as well. No lack of confidence this kid.

He looks like he loves a run and loves a goal. No wonder he's not very accurate, must be harder to kick them when your knackered and still has three blokes chasing you.

He's either Ballas Mk II or Peake Mk II. Hopefully the former...

He looks like he loves a run and loves a goal. No wonder he's not very accurate, must be harder to kick them when your knackered and still has three blokes chasing you.

He's either Ballas Mk II or Peake Mk II. Hopefully the former...

A few have said Peake Mrk II. I just don't see it with his style of play. Peake ran in straight lines and didn't have half the tricks Duffy seems to have.

They seem quite different in style of play to me.

In what position, and instead of which player?

Off the top of my head: Half-forward instead of a resting midfielder. The midfielder can probably go forward when Ballantyne/Walters have a run in the midfield. If we recruited him when we didn't need him then we need to structure our forwardline to accommodate him. If he is good enough. Otherwise we shouldn't have bothered getting him.
We will probably teach him to run through the midfield occasionally anyway.

Off the top of my head: Half-forward instead of a resting midfielder. The midfielder can probably go forward when Ballantyne/Walters have a run in the midfield. If we recruited him when we didn't need him then we need to structure our forwardline to accommodate him. If he is good enough. Otherwise we shouldn't have bothered getting him.
We will probably teach him to run through the midfield occasionally anyway.

I think Bond/Lloyd must really rate him because for me he does not really fit a need.

Half-forward is starting to look like a very difficult position to get an opportunity at Freo. And not simply because we have a pretty decent group of players for that position in Ballantyne, Walters, Mellington, Crozier and I would think Simpson's debut could be there. The other reason is that the midfield itself is look tight for places. I'm not saying Ballantyne for example won't get a run through there occasionally, but D Pearce and Morabitto are going to make it a little more difficult for that to happen as well before we even get to Neale, Sutcliffe etc.

I wouldn't mind one of the zone breaking Hill, D Pearce or Morabitto playing across half-back fairly consistently.

So exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back