Toast ND Pick #68 - Welcome to Freo Josh Deluca-Cardillo

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a guy who plays league with subiaco, I was talking to him last Thursday before the draft. Was telling me he hopes a club was going to give josh a crack because he is an absolute jet. Can't say I have watched him play myself but coming from my mate who last year told me he was suprised Dom sheed went so high does give me confidence. Says he is extremely commited to getting the best out of himself and was one of te fittest players at subi this year.

I know a guy who plays league with subiaco, I was talking to him last Thursday before the draft. Was telling me he hopes a club was going to give josh a crack because he is an absolute jet. Can't say I have watched him play myself but coming from my mate who last year told me he was suprised Dom sheed went so high does give me confidence. Says he is extremely commited to getting the best out of himself and was one of te fittest players at subi this year.
I've heard similar about him too. Hopefully he turns out a gun.

Great interview by the kid this morning. Just full of beans and genuinely excited about starting with the club. Can't buy that kind of enthusiasm.

Second that. Early days, but signs of a kid who is hungry and relishing the opportunity. Mentions that his style is akin to Ballaz and Son Son - great pair to nurture him along too. Interesting comments on Day 1 about Pav at 4:25 too - wants the right body language - stand tall no hunching over.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2014-12-01/learning-good-habits-deluca

Yeah definitely excited. I forget sometimes but this is a dream come true for these kids.

It's great to see the eagerness and hunger, isn't it. Probably the attributes (along with natural skill) that made them worth drafting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched all four interviews back-to-back and Josh was the pick of the bunch in front of the camera for me. Obviously the media polish isn't at the level of more senior players yet for any of the kids, but he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders with his considered, thoughtful, expansive answers.

Walters needs to cut that stuff out, cause he is no good at it. Could argue it almost cost us the final against Port when a critical momentum changing decision went against us in the last quarter. Was a clear free to Walters straight in front of goal. But he went over the top, so the umpire thought he was faking. I think we were 10 points up, would have been 16 with 3 quick goals to start the last quarter, and who knows if that momentum could have propelled us to victory.

I recon we've got a gem in joshy, recon he'll take his opportunity and really go places

I think he's going to be the player we wanted Michael Wood to become.
Wasn't Michael Wood are a full forward who was about 6 foot 4? And Deluca's a fast little pocket forward? What a bizarre thing to say.

Wasn't Michael Wood are a full forward who was about 6 foot 4? And Deluca's a fast little pocket forward? What a bizarre thing to say.

Not quite bizarre.

Deluca is 182 cm and 80kg while at time of drafting Wood was 189cm and 76kg. Less than three inches difference.
So Wood was never going to be a KPF. And Deluca is faster (I think) and heavier already, but with similar goal sense (I hope) and better X factor, as shown in his grand final performance for the mighty Subiaco Lions.

Wood was also a Rookie listed player, so Deluca will be given more time to prove himself, unless something goes horribly wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back