Gitem.........................11........... x.....11x

Last edited:

Michael Goiser

Debutant
Jan 14, 2009
Jerrabomberra
AFL Club
Carlton
I know its early in the season, but I feel Aspley, Redlands, Southport, Thunder and the Swans will be the contenders for the flag. Forget the rest, all over for them already.
Sorry Stuyd, but can't agree with your top 5 prediction. I think Thunder and Swans will definitely take two spots but can't see the remaining three spots going to Qld sides. With the way the draw is this year the AFL sides play each other the most, and given the Lions and Suns don't appear as strong as in the past, the Swans and Giants should pick up a few wins there. Along with other results Swans and Giants should get enough wins to both make it. Also, with the old northern and old eastern sides playing each other more than other sides, they'll be taking wins off each other. I reckon only one, maybe two Qld sides will make it and the other spot will be the strongest performing eastern club, which I'm hoping will be mine (if we continue to improve).

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Round 5

Lions v Swans
Thunder v Redland
Suns v Giants
Eastlake v Southport
Sydney Uni v Ainslie
Eagles v Belconnen
Qbn v Aspley

My tips:-
Swans
Thunder
Giants
Southport
Ainslie
Eagles
Aspley

Michael Goiser

Debutant
Jan 14, 2009
Jerrabomberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree and disagree. I ask, do Thunder travel on the same day when they play a away game.... I think they do.(correct me if im wrong )
11 home games,...does that include the 3 games they play in the Alice and 1 in Cairns.??If so, that becomes 7 or so actual home games, which is similar to all other clubs.( have to check the fixture for 2014)
Yes, playing in Darwin is humid,resulting in moist and slippery conditions, even on a great evening with a great surface. Different to down here, but the Thunder have to adjust to our conditions as well when they play down here.
Yes they are well funded by the AFL, NT Govt, and major sponsors,,, a major advantage..yes, but if they didn't have this financial support, they wouldn't be in the comp.
one would have to admit, since their inclusion into the comp only a few years ago, their participation has been a bonus for QLD footy.I mean not only being competitive, they are exciting to watch.Skill levels that are magic especially from the indigenous players.U got to appreciate that as a spectator!!
Got to appreciate their match coverage as well. Thundervision was great and so far their coverage of games this year has been excellent. They are definitely the benchmark when it comes to marketing/communications/promotion/social media etc.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree and disagree. I ask, do Thunder travel on the same day when they play a away game.... I think they do.(correct me if im wrong )
11 home games,...does that include the 3 games they play in the Alice and 1 in Cairns.??If so, that becomes 7 or so actual home games, which is similar to all other clubs.( have to check the fixture for 2014)
Yes, playing in Darwin is humid,resulting in moist and slippery conditions, even on a great evening with a great surface. Different to down here, but the Thunder have to adjust to our conditions as well when they play down here.
Yes they are well funded by the AFL, NT Govt, and major sponsors,,, a major advantage..yes, but if they didn't have this financial support, they wouldn't be in the comp.
one would have to admit, since their inclusion into the comp only a few years ago, their participation has been a bonus for QLD footy.I mean not only being competitive, they are exciting to watch.Skill levels that are magic especially from the indigenous players.U got to appreciate that as a spectator!!

Ok, just checked the fixture for 2014.
Thunder, have 10 games at home and 1 in the Alice.

Checked the 2014 fixtures.... Thunder play 10 games at home in a 20 round season. Also one game in the Alice .So 9 away games.I noticed that their home games they play all the top contenders in 8 of these games and the other 2 they play Sydney Eagles ( last Week) and Sydney Uni later on. So not a easy draw. Also their last 3 games , they take on Southport, Aspley (Alice) and Redlands. Thus not an easy draw, certainly not favouritism...
The other Qld sides have 8 or 9 home games... So, its a pretty even playing field in ref to the draw imo.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry Stuyd, but can't agree with your top 5 prediction. I think Thunder and Swans will definitely take two spots but can't see the remaining three spots going to Qld sides. With the way the draw is this year the AFL sides play each other the most, and given the Lions and Suns don't appear as strong as in the past, the Swans and Giants should pick up a few wins there. Along with other results Swans and Giants should get enough wins to both make it. Also, with the old northern and old eastern sides playing each other more than other sides, they'll be taking wins off each other. I reckon only one, maybe two Qld sides will make it and the other spot will be the strongest performing eastern club, which I'm hoping will be mine (if we continue to improve).
Yes, Michael, you're right. The fixture is biased big time to pit teams against each other based on seedings - it's not a flat-out race like the AFL is.
The AFL reserve teams will win a few and lose a few against each other, the QLD/NT teams will win and lose a few against each other, and the Eastern community clubs will do the same. It's meant to be like that.
So, come finals time, you'd expect a couple of finalists from each grouping. You can see already that the ladder is settling in that way - a mix of Qld/NT, AFL and Eastern in the top eight, a mix of the three groupings in the bottom six.
But it will be carnage when they play off come finals time.

This is a development league, not a grassroots league - it's set up to provide a competition for the AFL reserves clubs and no-one says it's fair or evenly balanced. It's all been covered in this forum in the pre-season.

Last edited:

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Michael,
respect ur opinion. At this early stage , I feel the top 5 will consist of Swans, Redlands, Thunder, Southport, Aspley( in no particular order). The only other 2 chances are the Giants and Ainslie..... a lot comes down to injuries in particular that can have a huge effect as u know.All good fun hey. Never know, I could be completely wrong,,,, its a competive comp.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Round 5 - This is a Bum Twitching time for some sides as the Season starts to slip away from this time onward, if you lose pace with the top 6.

My Question for this Week is - Will the Sharks get the Live Stream again this week?????

My Tips for this week are - As follows:

Swans
Redland
Giants
Sharks
Ainslie
Eagles
Aspley

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Michael,
respect ur opinion. At this early stage , I feel the top 5 will consist of Swans, Redlands, Thunder, Southport, Aspley( in no particular order). The only other 2 chances are the Giants and Ainslie..... a lot comes down to injuries in particular that can have a huge effect as u know.All good fun hey. Never know, I could be completely wrong,,,, its a competive comp.

stuyd1,

I think Michael G. might have a case with the Giants being there - I would swap the Giants for the Hornets in your prediction above, as the Hornets may have lost touch with the pack at this early stage of the Competition - up-coming home games aside they are not playing well at the moment and I can't put my finger on why - IMO something is amiss down at Hornet Land and Blairey cant do miracles - their midfield were ordinary on the weekend and the Lions just used their mistakes to drown them - A new mindset IMO is needed by the list and a bit of old fashion play for your jumper and its worth and not your Mum might change them around - so far they are most under achieving side in Qld in the NEAFL at the moment.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, Michael, you're right. The fixture is biased big time to pit teams against each other based on seedings - it's not a flat-out race like the AFL is.
The AFL reserve teams will win a few and lose a few against each other, the QLD/NT teams will win and lose a few against each other, and the Eastern community clubs will do the same. It's meant to be like that.
So, come finals time, you'd expect a couple of finalists from each grouping. You can see already that the ladder is settling in that way - a mix of Qld/NT, AFL and Eastern in the top eight, a mix of the three groupings in the bottom six.
But it will be carnage when they play off come finals time.

This is a development league, not a grassroots league - it's set up to provide a competition for the AFL reserves clubs and no-one says it's fair or evenly balanced. It's all been covered in this forum in the pre-season.

Just taking a few people to pick up this point as well JAB. If you want an uncompromised footy comp, go and watch the QAFL. Its unbelievable listening to some complain about Thunder - never heard any of this last year...
Bottom line is if you are good enough you will win. Heard Darren Burgess speak at the Nat Coaching Conf this year - made some very pertinent points re the travel arrangements of EPL sides playing in multiple comps and the moaning that goes on in Aust in the AFL. All i can say is that there would not be a Power player brave enough to bitch about the travel or time between games for recovery.
Also think some of you seriously over estimate how professional all the VFL sides are too as a 2nd tier comp. I know the set up at Frankston was worse than most QAFL sides in terms of off field assistance - yet they have had more players drafted than any other non-VFL club in recent years. Again, bottom line is if you are any good you will play well.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
stuyd1,

I think Michael G. might have a case with the Giants being there - I would swap the Giants for the Hornets in your prediction above, as the Hornets may have lost touch with the pack at this early stage of the Competition - up-coming home games aside they are not playing well at the moment and I can't put my finger on why - IMO something is amiss down at Hornet Land and Blairey cant do miracles - their midfield were ordinary on the weekend and the Lions just used their mistakes to drown them - A new mindset IMO is needed by the list and a bit of old fashion play for your jumper and its worth and not your Mum might change them around - so far they are most under achieving side in Qld in the NEAFL at the moment.
Billybunter,
so what is wrong at hornet land. This has been going on for the past4/5 years at NEAFL level . from all reports the club is sound financially, pay the players well, coach is paid big bucks, have a strong list, yet there is some sort of fungas present, poisoning the clubs on field results. Is it the mothers(so to speak) as u said,.. in other words, to much influential power coming from the sidelines that includes influential supporters, sponsors, committee and board members.... certainly appears like this is the fungas.As I said last week, after watching the game against the Sharks, I heard on numerous occasions, Aspley players abusing each other, undisciplined acts giving away 50 metre penalities, and on many occasions if a experienced Aspley player,eg Copeland, was directing a younger player where to move( POSITION WISE) in a certain play,,, the younger player completely ignored Copeland.
Is there a player group that are part of the fungas makeup??? I see a gun recruit like Gavin Grose, who so far this year hasn't been heard of in the best 6 players,,,, very unusual for a guy of this quality.....one wouldn't of known if he was playing in the game against Southport,,,, was totally ignored by many of his teammates.

Collingwood_08

Debutant
Jan 26, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
Billybunter,
so what is wrong at hornet land. This has been going on for the past4/5 years at NEAFL level . from all reports the club is sound financially, pay the players well, coach is paid big bucks, have a strong list, yet there is some sort of fungas present, poisoning the clubs on field results. Is it the mothers(so to speak) as u said,.. in other words, to much influential power coming from the sidelines that includes influential supporters, sponsors, committee and board members.... certainly appears like this is the fungas.As I said last week, after watching the game against the Sharks, I heard on numerous occasions, Aspley players abusing each other, undisciplined acts giving away 50 metre penalities, and on many occasions if a experienced Aspley player,eg Copeland, was directing a younger player where to move( POSITION WISE) in a certain play,,, the younger player completely ignored Copeland.
Is there a player group that are part of the fungas makeup??? I see a gun recruit like Gavin Grose, who so far this year hasn't been heard of in the best 6 players,,,, very unusual for a guy of this quality.....one wouldn't of known if he was playing in the game against Southport,,,, was totally ignored by many of his teammates.

Maybe you've indirectly found the problem here stuyd1. We've acknowledged that all the teams have recruited a number of gun players from the teams that didn't renew their neafl licence and the team, in this instance aspley is having more trouble integrating these players into their existing list than southport and Redlands. This is all just speculation of course but maybe all these stars in one team are struggling because everyone wants to be the star and nobody wants to do the little things that don't get noticed as much?

Peanut01

Debutant
Nov 8, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Redland have done very well to take the 4 points on the weekend with Hughes, Dzufer and Wrigley on the sidelines. Going to be a great game between them and the Thunder this weekend.

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have asked the same question before. Apparently both live in Brisbane and expect to be well paid. Payne played for aspley 2 years ago for more $ as well. Think salary cap and geographical issues would have restricted southport.
Didn't see the game against Redlands but heard a ripper. Goal kicking an issue?
Yea, was a good game not a great deal between them on the day.Just a bit more composure late in the game by Redland,not so much Goalkicking as forward line efficiency.The rebound 50 and I50 stats will be interesting.

chook27

Rookie
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers
Checked the 2014 fixtures.... Thunder play 10 games at home in a 20 round season. Also one game in the Alice .So 9 away games.I noticed that their home games they play all the top contenders in 8 of these games and the other 2 they play Sydney Eagles ( last Week) and Sydney Uni later on. The other Qld sides have 8 or 9 home games... So, its a pretty even playing field in ref to the draw imo.

Not sure what draw you checked however it is an 18 game season. 21 rounds of NEAFL with each side getting 3 byes. Therefore getting 11 home games is a major advantage compared to the majority of others with 9. Particularly the home ground advantage in the NT. My point is that this will more than likely result in them getting a Top 2 finish which is what sides will need this year to win it.

Yesterday

Senior List
Feb 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure what draw you checked however it is an 18 game season. 21 rounds of NEAFL with each side getting 3 byes. Therefore getting 11 home games is a major advantage compared to the majority of others with 9. Particularly the home ground advantage in the NT. My point is that this will more than likely result in them getting a Top 2 finish which is what sides will need this year to win it.

I know NT come up against the AFL Clubs a few times, but history has shown that some of these Clubs don't travel with all their 'guns' to NT, seemingly preferring rest these players rather than travel to play. They beat Suns by around 7 goals mid year last year when the Suns had plenty of top ups...touched up the Swans by around 9 goals with similar top ups. Just gets round to time of year, number of injuries in the seniors etc. Good luck to them

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Chook,
they have 10 home games, not 11. Have one in the Alice, which is away from their Darwin base and which has been a graveyard for them.( so no major advantage at all.) And as I said , the teams they play in Darwin are the upper sides of the comp. So imo , the draw is fair. No favours here for Thunder.And credit to them for making their home ground a fortress,,, that's a small piece of the jigsaw puzzle clubs have to work on to help achieve wins. And they also have to adjust to QLD conditions in their away games.! home ground advantages applies both ways!!
The NT is a carbon copy of the southern states where Aussie rules is a part of life. It dominates the other footy codes . Take into consideration the small population base of the NT, ( Darwin with some 100 thousand plus) , the quality of the NTFL comp over the summer is as good as the current QAFL comp ( admittingly a lot of good southern state players come up and play in what is their off season), but at the end of the day, the list that becomes the Thunder for the NEAFL season is unreal taking into consideration the population base. Got to appreciate it, and the club provides great hospitiality to visiting teams, something that doesn't happen down here.

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tips
Swans
NT Thunder
Giants
Southport
Ainslie
Hills eagles
Aspley

Reckon Redlands & Eastlake are in with a chance though, Redlands playing very well and a few Sharks players not touching the footy enough.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
Take into consideration the small population base of the NT, ( Darwin with some 100 thousand plus) , the quality of the NTFL comp over the summer is as good as the current QAFL comp ( admittingly a lot of good southern state players come up and play in what is their off season)

The two NTFL GF sides this year probably wouldn't be too embarrassed in the NEAFL, esp given that there are 10 Saints players and 6 or 7 Wanderers player on the Thunder list. add to that guys who don't play for Thunder from each team. Wanderers were sporting 7 ex AFL listed players on GF day. if you look at the game (youtube) it was a tough, hard contest, start to finish.

GitEm

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2014
NSW
AFL Club
Richmond
Think I missed last weeks, but here are this weeks tips:

Swans
Thunder
Giants
Southport
Ainslie
Hills eagles
Aspley

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
The two NTFL GF sides this year probably wouldn't be too embarrassed in the NEAFL, esp given that there are 10 Saints players and 6 or 7 Wanderers player on the Thunder list. add to that guys who don't play for Thunder from each team. Wanderers were sporting 7 ex AFL listed players on GF day. if you look at the game (youtube) it was a tough, hard contest, start to finish.
Talk about tough, hard contests.....interesting to watch last week's NEAFL TV where you can get a highlights reel of each game, consecutive. Comparing the Redland/Southport match to the two eastern matches (Qbn/Belco and SydUni/Eastlake), well...it's a bit embarrassing for an "Easterner" like me. Our matches looked so second rate compared to the Qld match and I hadn't realised just how much difference there is in standard.
And I know from watching the Thunder up at Marrara last year that they are a cut above, again.
No complaints or bagging about it, but NEAFL TV is a stark reminder of the differences in the NEAFL clubs.

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
Why are teams flying to Darwin on game day this year?
Teams were successful last year flying up Fri and returning a few hours after the game on the red eye.
Nt fly the day before they play in Qld etc.

Back