NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the hell would the clowns that run NEAFL schedule clubs to have a bye in the last round of home and away ( a joke as some clubs don't even play each other ).
In this case Nt will definitely have a week off before 1st week of finals. In the case they finish top 2 they have 2 weeks off. Good luck playing them in Darwin in a prelim final.

chikka,

Good point BUT their fate is resting in their hands - they really need to win this weekend against Aspley as a bye = no points in the last round for the Thunder, so really this game in the Alice is a mini NT v Qld final with lots at stake for both clubs, as Hornet's Nest pointed out on what is now (with the Weather forecast for Saturday) a very level playing field in the Alice it is not a fore gone conclusion for the Thunder and then the last round between Aspley and Redland at Casheezy Park will be a mini Qld Final - The NEAFL version 2 (although with its faults and compromises) has come alive in the last 3 rounds. So now the only thing left to ponder is if the Swans and Giants either have a crack at finals or put the cue in the rack??????? If the latter is the case then it has been a horrific waste of AFL and NEAFL Club Funds over this season that could have been better spent on making it cheaper to go to the big games each week at the AFL Level and improving the facilities at the NEAFL Clubs. Either way their will be a Premiership Game in September, with or without them. Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!

NEAFL Forum readers,

Because I've been asked directly by Justabaraker, and because I'd simply like to dispel some of the unfounded rumors and ill-informed comments on this forum, I am going to provide comment on the Queanbeyan Tigers and our participation in the NEAFL. I've not been able to do so until now.

An article published in the local Queanbeyan Age late this afternoon (Tuesday) confirms that the Tigers are withdrawing from the NEAFL. The article follows an announcement by the AFL and appears to have been published at about the same time our players, coaches and support staff were being officially informed of the withdrawal and the reasons for it. The article can be read at: http://www.queanbeyanage.com.au/story/2466376/queanbeyan-tigers-pull-out-of-neafl/?cs=1655

Our proud club will be returning to a revamped AFL Canberra competition from next year. While the initial shock over the withdrawal will take some time to come to terms with for some of our players and supporters, in time I hope they come to terms with it the way I have. When a first heard several weeks ago of the likelihood of us not continuing in the NEAFL I was gutted. If I were 20 years younger I'd love to be playing NEAFL and testing myself week in week out against quality opposition, even future and recent AFL stars. But the reality is that financial constraints make it impossible for us to continue without jeapordising the long term future of our club.

I've come to terms with the decision to withdraw and am now looking forward to the next phase in our club's history. Before NEAFL we were a strong, highly successful, well resourced and well supported, proud club with deep roots in tradition. We'll be returning to community football where we'll quickly re-establish ourselves in the same vein.

The difficult task of match scheduling for the NEAFL, and the need for many standalone games, has in some respects impacted heavily on our club. Getting back to community footy and playing three grades all on the same day at one venue will re-build some lost atmosphere and peer support amongst the playing group. Playing all on the same day at the one venue will lighten the load for our large band of dedicated volunteer trainers/masseurs/strappers/timekeepers etc. We'll be able to get back to having team awards and more social functions at our licensed club, increasing camaraderie across the grades and improving turnover for the licensed club. We'll also be able to provide increased value for our sponsors.

Despite not competing at the highest level available to us, our club will remain strong. We have home facilities second to none in the ACT, volunteers who in their own words tonight "will stick with the players if the players stick with them". We have great people at our club and a desire to ensure we are stable and successful long into the future. We'll continue to provide opportunities and pathways for players coming through our juniors or being recruited to our club to play at the highest level they are capable of.

Yes, this decision will mean that some players and coaches will have to think long and hard about their own plans. Some of our players might like to continue playing NEAFL, albeit at another club. Some may seek the experience and remuneration of country footy, while some may now see themselves as being an even bigger part of the club's future at the level of footy we'll now play at.

To clear up some other rumours:
  • Kade Klemke loves the Queanbeyan Tigers and it is completely false to say he "can't get out of the place quick enough". He, like all of our better players, will have to make up his mind what his future will be. I can assure you he has not signed with Henty nor any other clubs and we'd love to keep him, if we can. The same goes for our other co-coach Josh Bryce. They are both quality people and quality players with long futures ahead of them as both players and coaches.
  • The Klemke-Bryce co-coaching appointment was not as a result, as some of the conspiracy theorists on here have suggested, any failures of coach or club. It was simply sensible succession planning by the club and an attempt to retain two high quality young players, both with coaching ambitions.
  • There are no "drug issues" at our club, just a single young player who made an ill-informed decision to take a pain killer to help get an injured knee through the 2012 Eastern Conference Final. He subsequently tested positive and fought long and hard to prove it was a one off error of judgement, all the while accepting his punishment and serving a lengthy suspension. His experience was used as an example to other NEAFL players and clubs during pre-season briefings about drug testing.
  • Our General Manager has not resigned because of what one poster on here quotes as how "some questionable characters can ruin a club like that in a few years with total disregard for honesty." However it is true that he has resigned. He has been in various paid and non-paid roles with the club for forty years and is nearing retirement age. He's simply tired from a job he has dedicated decades of his life to, 7 days a week during the season, and is looking forward to setting aside all of the issues a football manager must deal with. He is staying closely involved with the club and will continue as a member of our large band of volunteers.
I'd like to think the fact that I'm more than willing to use my own name on this forum that I can be trusted. I believe over the length of time I've been involved as a player, coach and umpire in local football in the ACT that I've earned that level of trust and respect and that what I have posted above will be accepted as written.

To all the clubs remaining in the NEAFL, all the best of luck to you. We've enjoyed coming up to Qld and Sydney to test ourselves, albeit it with limited success this year. We look forward the rest of the year where our First Grade, Under 18s and Women's grades are all well positioned for their finals campaigns. Their success will help to set us up for next year and for our future.

Players in our NEAFL team look forward to the last three matches, all at home, against the Giants (which will be another learning experience and chance to test themsleves against future stars) followed by Ainslie and Eastlake (which no doubt will add a little spice to those contests seeing as those clubs are remaining in the NEAFL for the timebeing).

I can also announce that in addition to informing our players tonight of the decision to withdraw from the NEAFL it was announced that I have been appointed as the new General Manager, Football Operations for the Queanbeyan Tigers - a job I can't wait to start in the next couple of weeks. It will be a big change for me after nearly 25 years in the public service, but it is one I'm really looking forward to.

My new role may mean less posts from me on this forum, but rest assured I will continue to read it for the entertainment value and will continue to post when I feel it necessary to correct the record or answer a direct question that I'm able to answer.

Regards,
Michael Goiser

Good work Gois. I am sure plenty can learn from your honesty and intregrity. If those are chooks shoes you're filling woweee they are big ones.
No Doubt the decision to the leave the NEAFL wasn't an easy one but I am certain it's the right one IMO. Getting all grades playing n the one day regularly is super important for culture etc...as well as lightening the logistic nightmare that would be organising volunteers.
All the best with this Super, Proud Club.

Last edited:
Belconnen players were advised last night at training that they will no longer be a part of the NEAFL competition after this season. We, like Queanbeyan will be returning to Canberra footy.

Brilliant and honest post, great to see it not being hidden and the openness you chose to share.

Yup, great post Michael. Congratulations on your honesty, openness and appointment.

Four Qld clubs went through the same turmoil and emotions a year ago. Ask them how they are travelling now and most will tell you that it has been a great move to State League. The ongoing financial pressure is tough, too tough on volunteer clubs who have limited access to the riches of gaming club revenue. However you have hit the mark re the social fabric of a club being returned when all 3 grades play on the same day. There's nothing like it.

Best wishes in your final games this year. It would be bitter sweet yet exceptionally gratifying to go out with a couple of big wins against teams who will be staying in the comp.

Terrific post Michael Goiser from a terrific person and friend.

You have been a fantastic ambassador for our club on and off the field and with you at the helm the club is in safe hands. You will be thoughtful as always and continue to have the clubs best interest at heart. You will embrace the future while respecting the past, a past that you have made a great contribution to.

It is sad to hear that Chook is retiring (but he has threatened this every year for the last 20 years) and disappointing that we wont be competing in the NEAFL but I understand the bigger picture for the club and its survival.

It will now mean I can bring my 2 boys to watch my beloved Tigers play week in week out and that can not be a bad thing.

Best of luck to you and our Tiger family. See you soon mate :thumbsu:

Yup, great post Michael. Congratulations on your honesty, openness and appointment.

Four Qld clubs went through the same turmoil and emotions a year ago. Ask them how they are travelling now and most will tell you that it has been a great move to State League. The ongoing financial pressure is tough, too tough on volunteer clubs who have limited access to the riches of gaming club revenue. However you have hit the mark re the social fabric of a club being returned when all 3 grades play on the same day. There's nothing like it.

Best wishes in your final games this year. It would be bitter sweet yet exceptionally gratifying to go out with a couple of big wins against teams who will be staying in the comp.
You are so right......3 grades playing at the same ground on the same day for the fans/family/fellow clubmen to enjoy footy as it should be enjoyed. Gone are the days of the crowds, of the picnics on the hill and the mateship before during and after the games as it was before. Don't spoil the game and lose the kids forever. What we have witnessed this year is not good for football.

Michael, fantastic post. Sometimes I fear for our game because of the agendas, then i see a post like yours and realise that greater stories lie in the people who really are the fabric of the game.Well done and good luck.
Also to the others down south (not east of me) like justa,zzz etc you as Michael G has done have enhanced this forum enormously and I have enjoyed all of your contributions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael, fantastic post. Sometimes I fear for our game because of the agendas, then i see a post like yours and realise that greater stories lie in the people who really are the fabric of the game.Well done and good luck.
Also to the others down south (not east of me) like justa,zzz etc you as Michael G has done have enhanced this forum enormously and I have enjoyed all of your contributions.
Enough of everyone being nice (great post but MG) so will Ainslee and Syd Uni pick up many? will the best kids in Canberra go their? do they change their name?

You are so right......3 grades playing at the same ground on the same day for the fans/family/fellow clubmen to enjoy footy as it should be enjoyed. Gone are the days of the crowds, of the picnics on the hill and the mateship before during and after the games as it was before. Don't spoil the game and lose the kids forever. What we have witnessed this year is not good for football.
Thats why Southport will stay in they never got decent crowds.....

i am a fan of the Neafl but they must work out the top up situation, there are now blokes that have played for 3 clubs in one year.............

Remove this Banner Ad

Back