NEAFL- 2014

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hopefully at Chermside S/C not that we don't want you there stuyd1, I just hope that that is the only area left for you to park in, I hope the street parking is full from Chermside to Graham Road, I also hope that the true AFL footy lovers of Brisbane appreciate what the the club and the Hornet boys have done this year, after a big let down last year in going down to the Lions at Yeronga, I think that under John Blair and his level headed approach to the game - The Hornets have got some serious unfinished business left to do in 2014.

Whether that business is good enough to get over the well coached and a very good side in the Swan's Reserves, time will only tell???

Therefore I hope that a real Grand final crowd turns up to this one on Saturday - If a Boxing Promoter was to advertise this one it should go something like this below.

The original Sydney NSW - AFL reserve NEAFL side, the Sydney Swan's from the greater Sydney City region Verses the Brisbane suburbs back yard Newest AFLQ evolved - NEAFL side, the Aspley Hornets from North of the Brisbane River region. To Face it off in

"THE GRAHAM ROAD NEAFL GRAND FINAL RUMBLE"

Bring an open mind and all of your support for the side of your choice but bring it, and let the boys from North and South in turn "BRING IT ON" for you - There will be no losers on the day, but one side will be no doubt celebrating and one side no doubt disappointed and wondering what could have been, be there or be square as this will be the biggest day that Aspley, Brisbane North and all AFL football supporters may ever get to see so far North of the Brisbane River.

For My Pick - A very much based on form pick - The Bumble Bees by three small stings = 3 points, Go Hornets!!!!!!!

Am I Gloating here read on in the above post, whats a point between friends? - Ok I am but just a little, now for the real big dance - Port Adelaide by 16 points at the "G" who will they play who cares as I know it won't be the Dockers - Ken Hinkley just like John Blair, an absolute genius.

Last edited:

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Words really can't describe the genius that is John Blair.

Dogwarna,

No truer words that those above - a living Legend - It will be interesting at his performance review with the Hornets Board, 2 years in the job - 1 x runner up in the Northern Grand Final and 1 x Grand Final win in the new NEAFL - That should be worth a few more $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the household expenses - He gets my vote and just one more idea, lets call the nest THE JOHN BLAIR OVAL Ha, ha.

Blackdog32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Good on the hornets. Many have had a dip at them on here over the years, only one way to shut the detractors up and you've done it. Great effort.
I haven't seen the game and will watch the replay during the week. A neutral observer who attended told me there were some 'suspect at best' home town decisions in the last quarter. That's nothing against Aspley they just played to the whistle but it does make you ponder.
I pray that doesn't happen in the QAFL decider with the powerhouse favourite against the Gold Coast lesser lights.....

Last edited:

Hornets Nest

Debutant
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good on the hornets. Many have had a dip at them on here over the years, only one way to shut the detractors up and you've done it. Great effort.
I haven't seen the game and will watch the replay during the week. A neutral observer who attended told me there were some 'suspect at best' home town decisions in the last quarter. That's nothing against Aspley they just played to the whistle but it does make you ponder.
I pray that doesn't happen in the QAFL decider with the powerhouse favourite against the Gold Coast lesser lights.....
The decisions were going both ways through the game but we certainly had the run of them during the crucial stages of the last quarter. Then again, they usually favour the side that's making the play. The bounce of the ball didn't seem to be going the Hornets way though. That's footy. Take them where you can get them!!

Hornets Nest

Debutant
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There wasn't a gate count yesterday. Each patron received a wrist band when going through the gate. I just heard that 3,000 wrist bands were on hand for the gates and they ran out sending the club racing to find more. The gates were left unmanned from quarter time onwards. On that basis, you'd have to put the crowd at about 3,500 although there were a couple of hundred leaving after the colts game.

WHAT A DAY!!!!

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dogwarna,

No truer words that those above - a living Legend - It will be interesting at his performance review with the Hornets Board, 2 years in the job - 1 x runner up in the Northern Grand Final and 1 x Grand Final win in the new NEAFL - That should be worth a few more $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the household expenses - He gets my vote and just one more idea, lets call the nest THE JOHN BLAIR OVAL Ha, ha.
Most in the know are of the belief JB will hang up the clipboard now, had they not got over the line he may have gone on but I think that's it. He may well change his mind but earlier in the year that was his plan I think.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
There wasn't a gate count yesterday. Each patron received a wrist band when going through the gate. I just heard that 3,000 wrist bands were on hand for the gates and they ran out sending the club racing to find more. The gates were left unmanned from quarter time onwards. On that basis, you'd have to put the crowd at about 3,500 although there were a couple of hundred leaving after the colts game.

WHAT A DAY!!!!

Nesty,

I dont care how many people may have been there it is not that important but IMO, I would say 3,000 +. The club house which was brimming to the seams holds at least 1500 punters, the one's that mattered were the ones who attended and the one's that don't matter did not - those who wanted to be there and missed it, have missed the biggest spectacle of all time in AFL Footy in Qld and possibly the Country - Well at least North of the Brisbane River, Grandpas and Grandmas were crying, right down to the toddlers who were crying because the have never seen their Grannies who have been part of a Grannie win crying before, it was a sight to be believed - A lot of expelled manure has been heaped upon our fledgling (what started out as a junior) AFL club - Can all those guilty of this charge meet the players at the Mad Monday celebrations tomorrow down at the club after 12noon (bring your own spoon) for a short taste of burnt crow and burnt Roast Swan, apparently they both taste the same - Just ask for me and you should be served or if not, check the notice's in the paper for dearly departed or recently admitted to hospital love ones and leave a fine to the order of $10 dollars a head made out to the get me out of casket or hospital fund. These Premiership celebrations which may or may not be happening in cog neto are going to kill me, well eventually anyway, bring on many more. Go the newly Formed Super Hornets!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dogwarna,

Just pondering my suggestion for an Oval name change as above - Who is Graham as in Graham Road and how many AFL premierships has he been associated with - those noted historian's please respond?????

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Warning to all,

Don't try and jump on the Sydney Swans NEAFL thread to protect the position of our umpiring officials, as you may receive a ban until after the season has ended?????

It seem it is ok to Bag our umpires without a word of disdain on certain forums but not protect them - these guys and girls are the very fabric of our game, or do we just want to play kick to kick???????

Last edited:
billy,

It is our thread on our own board after all, we should be allowed to vent after what was after all a disappointing result. And to be fair to our mods, you did more than just protect the umpires, you had a massive go at our coach and captain which wouldn't have you too many fans at the Swans board.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Your opinions please on the free kick awarded to Aspleys Smith, who proceeded to kick the winning goal after the siren.... was it a legit free kick decision /?

I think if you look at the replay and more importantly the result - The umpire paid a free kick stuyd1 my boy, thats why have them in control of our game, to adjudicate on behalf of the rules of our game as written. Also we expect them (the umpiring fraternity) to train every week and also preseason to adjudicate on the rules as per their best interpretation of those rules, was or is any decision black or white ? We can all be the judge and have very many differing opinions - This is why we have judges in our Westminster system's rule of Governance - Once a judgement is made, its then move on in time - Only the bitter or the innocent harbour the view of bias and he or she who is not guilty of this course or flaw - May they cast the first stone, its a bitter day for our game in general when a 5 goal deficit is turned into a win by 22 humble never say die teammates and then to blame our elected officials for this choking experience, brought about by a powerhouse of IMHO misguided mediericrosy!!!!!!!! Is a disgrace in itself.

In answer your your question above, Smith was indeed awarded the free kick as per the officiating umpire opinion of a throw, if he (smith) had of kicked a point, everyone would have said he was stiff and very unlucky as he could have won the game off his own boot!!!! Because he kicked a 6 pointer a suspicion of doubt immediately was put into play - This is shameless detraction of a great game of football by all and sundry including the opposition coach, this based on the facts as printed via the newspaper reports, to accuse any official/s of robbing a result of a 100 + minute game of AFL Football is in the very least shameful and is a great blight on our perceived system of governance as we have been led to believe in.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
billy,

It is our thread on our own board after all, we should be allowed to vent after what was after all a disappointing result. And to be fair to our mods, you did more than just protect the umpires, you had a massive go at our coach and captain which wouldn't have you too many fans at the Swans board.

Grimlock,

Point taken but not accepted.

Some people need to get out of the protected area of life - If you or I make a mistake then, we as the mistake maker cop it on the chin and move on - At the moment one of the two Gentlemen who you mentioned above displayed IMO (as witnessed and read) a breach of the code of conduct again IMO that no one should accept, based on a few cases that I have heard of in Junior Football here in Qld, this Gentlemans accreditation would come under a very thorough microscopic examination at a code of conduct enquiry in the very least, ( I think I counted 12 NEAFL officials at the game and not one murmur from these persons) would John Blair or Billy Bunter be afforded such a luxury, I think not, what if and I say what if, this type of action unexamined led to something further and something more sinister to take place in the future? If you are happy to accept what happened at the biggest game on our NEAFL callender, then there is something seriously wrong here? We can't sweep displays of poor sportsmanship and again IMO a breach of code compliance under the carpet and bring into question the officials as robbers (Quote) "we were robbed" (end Quote) as per the report in the Herald Sun in Melbourne this morning. I am not bringing into question this Gentleman's past as I believe it is beyond reproach, which when this outburst occurred I was shocked, his future moving forward is the thing that must be addressed for his sake and the sake of the game as a whole - If the Sydney Supporters don't need to see this post then that is at their and your peril - As far as the other gentleman mentioned above, I just made the comment as all who was within ear shot of a spray delivered, this in my opinion changed the whole game plan and in the end the result - It was not Daniel Smith's fault he kicked the winning goal to win the game after your boys were 5 goals up at 3qrt time and not the fault of the adjudicators - Lets move on, but curb all aspects of club officials behaving outside of their code of conduct signed requirements.

Last edited:

Hornets Nest

Debutant
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just pondering my suggestion for an Oval name change as above - Who is Graham as in Graham Road and how many AFL premierships has he been associated with - those noted historian's please respond?????
Not sure who Graham is. I understand that there may be restrictions in the lease for the land about naming. It's land held on trust by an RSL sub branch that stipulates the use as a sporting oval.

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure who Graham is. I understand that there may be restrictions in the lease for the land about naming. It's land held on trust by an RSL sub branch that stipulates the use as a sporting oval.

Hey Hornets Nest - This suggestion of mine about the Oval name change, was given with a little bit of tongue in cheek and light hearted banter from Bunter - Not that John Blair won't be remembered at Aspley for his achievements up to date and hopefully well into the future, when the day comes for him to hang up the clipboard (as Dogwarna has put it), I can only hope and trust that the tribute that will be acknowledged to him, by the club on behalf of their supporters, will be on a grand scale.

AFL 2nd Tier Premierships are a rare achievement and in this case, led by the great man, this is very worthy reward.

FootyFan24

Draftee
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Everyone needs to look at the facts , Aspley were the better side on the day . But there is no shadow of doubt that if the NT Thunder weren't cheated they would have been the 2014 NEAFL Premiers.

Honestly how can the NEAFL allow the Sydney Swans the ability to play an unrestricted list against the Thunder but then restricted against ASPLEY. Absolutely disgraceful . Its clear as day , NT Thunder get the same rules as everyone else they beat the swans and then smash Aspley in Darwin. NT were clearly the best side all year , playing AFL resevres side's more than anyone and holding their own.

Come on NEAFL !!! Draw needs to be fixed and the rules fair for everyone.

thunderdoc

Team Captain
May 27, 2010
dimboola
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
it was a win for community football

Firstly congratulations to John Blair, all the ex Northern Raiders and the Morningside boys that wanted to continue in the NEAFL and of course Matthew Payne.

Damo it has nothing to do with community football and actually the licence to play in the NEAFL is anti-community football. You turn away all your reserve players to have a list of 35 players and spend large amounts of money to compete in a competition to satisfy the AFL reserves. You don't allow your Under 18s (or in Aspley's case Under 20s) to compete regularly against the best Under 18s going around. It could not be further removed from Community football, it is an semi-elite competiton.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit rich stating that Aspley are a community football club! Had to cough up $250K + in player payments. Billy - settle down. Port Melb knocked over significantly better AFL 2's sides to win the VFL GF a little while back. Thunderdoc has it in 1 - nothing to do with community football, the Aspley side playing in the Nth conference has much, much more to do with this. Aspley didn't beat a side of full timers, in fact some of the Aspley guys would work less than some of the Sydney Swans lads I would suggest.
The real community football GF is being played this weekend tbh.

And well done to the Hornets - grand effort and sounds like a super match and Blair is obviously a ripper coach (although blind fredy could see that this is all Aspley needed, someone who wasn't prepared to allow the tail to wag the dog which had happened for the best part of a decade previously) but settle down Bunter! The football landscape hasn't changed 1 iota in Qld bc of the win, it just provides some hope.

Hornets Nest

Debutant
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is why people don't like Aspley...
No it isn't Ruffles. Jealousy is why.

I've lost count of the number of people who have found themselves at Aspley (despite their better judgement because of the rubbish that is thrown our way), only to say with a few months hindsight how amazed they were at how wrong the mudslingers are.

Keep on slinging Ruffles, we'll just keep on running a successful footy club. Doesn't make any difference to us.

Hornets Nest

Debutant
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey Hornets Nest - This suggestion of mine about the Oval name change, was given with a little bit of tongue in cheek and light hearted banter from Bunter - Not that John Blair won't be remembered at Aspley for his achievements up to date and hopefully well into the future, when the day comes for him to hang up the clipboard (as Dogwarna has put it), I can only hope and trust that the tribute that will be acknowledged to him, by the club on behalf of their supporters, will be on a grand scale.

AFL 2nd Tier Premierships are a rare achievement and in this case, led by the great man, this is very worthy reward.
That's the way I took it billy. Just thought I'd throw in the background just in case anyone was wondering...

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They arrive bc a few dollars are slung their way too HN, you would have to admit. Like most footy clubs, there are decent people everywhere but lets not pretend they are any better than any of the neighbouring clubs in the area simply bc they can generate a lot more $$ thru gambling etc..

Back