Status
Not open for further replies.

maurie

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2011
brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree with your thoughts there Doc....I know its hard selecting a squad - an always contentious. Fife must be wondering what he has done wrong. He is in the top 10 on the leaderboard of the Syd Guildford Trophy - only 2 blokes in that 10 missed out - Josh Green (Brisbane Lions - listed player so not eligible) and Fife.!!...reckon he had a great game on the weekend too...

switchingplay

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2011
Sunny Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Strong looking squad. Interesting to note the assistant coaches, apart from Murray Davis all are ex southport players. I would've thought a spread of representatives from other clubs would be reasonable. How did the southport under 18's coach get a gig???

Maybe as a comp it is time we looked at an impartial coach for the state side? Just a thought, but it would be better than the potential for club bias, which has happened in the past. Although it might be a bit tricky for the league to make changes based on club bias, a little hypocritical perhaps?

Not so sure its a case of bias, i would think more a case of these are the blokes Cotter is comfortable working with, which needs to be the case for it to work.

riodj

Debutant
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree with your thoughts there Doc....I know its hard selecting a squad - an always contentious. Fife must be wondering what he has done wrong. He is in the top 10 on the leaderboard of the Syd Guildford Trophy - only 2 blokes in that 10 missed out - Josh Green (Brisbane Lions - listed player so not eligible) and Fife.!!...reckon he had a great game on the weekend too...

Ffom what I have seen Fife and Carse should have been definately picked.

Carse - a terrific match up for Blackwell, Similar pace and durability.
Fife a good option for Richardson - has the medial lateral movement to counter him.

They said they have picked side for the big ground?
Rushton Park is the smallest ground in the WAFL. It is wide but is extremely short.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My guess at the state squad- I wrote down 30 + 3 AFL Rookies-who knows how many the selectors will choose.

MT G- Grose, Vearing, C.Smith, Gilliland and Proud. (5 players)
NT- Tyrell, Tapp, Rosier, C. Illett, Tangultum,Vallejo (6)
Redlands- Carse, Charlesworth, Pullman, Manzone (4)
Morningside- Spackman, Kinch and Brown (3)
Aspley- Toye, Bevan, Shir, Copeland (4)
Broadbeach- Zorko, Geary, Fife (3)
Labrador- Grayson, Davey, White, Clarke (4)
Southport- Payne (1)
Suns- Magin, Crawford (if available) (2)
Lions- McCauley (if available) (1)

It will be interesting to see how many I get right.

QLD Squad announced yesterday:

Declan Bevan, Robert Copeland, Reece Toye (Aspley)
, Mitch Golby, Niall McKeever (Brisbane Lions),
Kallen Geary, Dayne Zorko (Broadbeach),
Jake Crawford, Joel Tippett (Gold Coast Suns),
Ryan Davey, Todd Grayson, Michael Gugliotta, Steve Wrigley (Labrador),
Kent Abey, Caleb Brown, Paul Shelton, Adam Spackman (Morningside), Nathan Gilliland, Gavin Grose, John James, Albert Proud, Nathan Reid, Chris Smith, Josh Vearing (Mt Gravatt),
Darren Ewing, Cameron Ilett, Karl Lohde, Shaun Tapp, Ross Tungatalum, Kenrick Tyrrell, Iggy Vallejo (NT Thunder),
James Charlesworth, Scott Clouston, Brad Howard, Trent Manzone, Josh Pullman (Redland),
Kurt Niklaus, Matt Payne, Danny Wise (Southport).

24 of the 31 eligible that I guessed last week were selected. The 7 that I put in that missed out were: Rosier, Carse, Kinch, Shir, Fife, White and Clarke. Fife and Carse very unlucky I reckon as a few other people have said.

It is a strong squad, capable of testing WA, but realistically if they get within 7-8 goals they have done pretty well. You just have to look at what Nth Adelaide did to Labrador on the weekend to see that we are still a fair bit behind.

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Rnd 8 results

staminade 3 (26)
pointer 4 (26)
2010premier 1 (25)
stuyd 3 (25)
maurie 3 (25)
BigE 1 (24)
Lifes a Beach 2 (23)
Footyfanatic1 2 (23)
Chikka ferguson 1 (22)
Morphous 3 (22)
Speedyunit 2 (20)
Thunderdoc 1 (16)

bballscout 3

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After spending a few days in Adelaide the only good news is from the Barossa, Penfolds say that the weather has not affected the 2008 grange they got the grapes off early.

But in footy terms we are miles away, look out for a boy named Kennedy playing for Glenelg will be a gun, will be in the draft next year.

If anyone is a player or parent of a player aspiring to get to higher levels get to a footy state asap we are so far behind it is not funny.

Will need a lot of resources human and financial to get anywhere near it.

maurie

Cancelled
Mar 13, 2011
brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After spending a few days in Adelaide the only good news is from the Barossa, Penfolds say that the weather has not affected the 2008 grange they got the grapes off early.

But in footy terms we are miles away, look out for a boy named Kennedy playing for Glenelg will be a gun, will be in the draft next year.

If anyone is a player or parent of a player aspiring to get to higher levels get to a footy state asap we are so far behind it is not funny.

Will need a lot of resources human and financial to get anywhere near it.

Don't disagree 1 bit Beachey....but...with respect...the side Labrador sent to SA would have struggled to win a NEAFL match...

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
What happens with Thunder players regarding state training? Surely they dont come all this way for it? I see this as a concern for team chemistry and we could well see less thunder players picked in the final team than expected.

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Don't disagree 1 bit Beachey....but...with respect...the side Labrador sent to SA would have struggled to win a NEAFL match...

You are right maurie but the game was only a very small part of what I am talking about, I took time to talk to football people and observe the SANFL close hand, they refer to us as amateurs and the tag is accurate. From the top down a lot will have to change for us to catch up in five years.

staminade

Senior List
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
What happens with Thunder players regarding state training? Surely they dont come all this way for it? I see this as a concern for team chemistry and we could well see less thunder players picked in the final team than expected.

A good source reports Thunder players selected will not meet up with the team until everyone arrives in WA a day b4 the game.
A lot of them want the week off.

stuyd

Senior List
Feb 13, 2010
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
See 2 weeks ago one C Munson was nemed as best player end kicked 6 goals in Labradors ressies. Is this Corey Munson that played for them 2 years ago before he headed to the Riverina.He s quite a capable player and will be a bonus for the Tigers.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You are right maurie but the game was only a very small part of what I am talking about, I took time to talk to football people and observe the SANFL close hand, they refer to us as amateurs and the tag is accurate. From the top down a lot will have to change for us to catch up in five years.

SANFL games get 2000-3000 per game and charge around $15 per head for entry. Some of the clubs also have a couple of thousand members: I don't mean $5 members like up here, genuine season ticket holders that have paid $100 for the season. They also have licensed clubs that generate income. Clubs down there also get a significant income from the SANFL because of the Crows/Port arrangement, and clubs also get money from draftees and investments.

Consequently, their footy budgets are probably triple the average NEAFL club up here.

I agree that until we catch up at least a bit financially, we will not catch up standard wise. Problem is, for most of the NEAFL clubs keeping up with the Joneses now is difficult enough, and any attempt to catch up would be impossible.

Most clubs up here do well with the resources they have.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

LAB - are you the same bloke that tried to shoot me down a month ago when I said exactly this? Weren't you saying that the NEAFL will produce many draftable players and that kids should stay here when I said exactly what you have NOW said re heading interstate?
No dramas - at least you now are arguing from a position of knowledge. The southern states are all over us here - is the exact reason why it is terribly frustrating watching boys who make rep sides swan around like gods gift to footy when in reality they would be lucky to get invited to training in Victoria!

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
LAB - are you the same bloke that tried to shoot me down a month ago when I said exactly this? Weren't you saying that the NEAFL will produce many draftable players and that kids should stay here when I said exactly what you have NOW said re heading interstate?
No dramas - at least you now are arguing from a position of knowledge. The southern states are all over us here - is the exact reason why it is terribly frustrating watching boys who make rep sides swan around like gods gift to footy when in reality they would be lucky to get invited to training in Victoria!

smy Not sure where I said this,

You and Damo are certainly right about the standards, but that doesn't mean individuals in the NEAFL given opportunity and put into an AFL system would not make it.

The certainty is that being in the football states makes them better footballers.

Snorkle

Senior List
Sep 18, 2009
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some rumblings running around the traps that some long distance recruits from the Suns (yet to have a crack at the big time) have not made the journey back to the club after the bye this week - it will be interesting to see who makes the NEAFL side for them this week.

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Some rumblings running around the traps that some long distance recruits from the Suns (yet to have a crack at the big time) have not made the journey back to the club after the bye this week - it will be interesting to see who makes the NEAFL side for them this week.

Extended break im assuming? Not being bad boys surely haha?

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Strong looking squad. Interesting to note the assistant coaches, apart from Murray Davis all are ex southport players. I would've thought a spread of representatives from other clubs would be reasonable. How did the southport under 18's coach get a gig???

Maybe as a comp it is time we looked at an impartial coach for the state side? Just a thought, but it would be better than the potential for club bias, which has happened in the past. Although it might be a bit tricky for the league to make changes based on club bias, a little hypocritical perhaps?

This is funny..:thumbsu:

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Suns over Sharks. Southport terrible atm
Vultures over Bombers. Though a danger game
Lions over Tigers.
Cats over Hornets. Due for a win

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Suns over Sharks. Southport terrible atm
Vultures over Bombers. Though a danger game
Lions over Tigers.
Cats over Hornets. Due for a win

Suns will whack Sharks by 15 goals which is ironic given the Sharks support/sponsorship of the Suns
Mt Gravatt over Redlands in a close one 2 goals (I would tip Redlands if it was at Viccy point rather than Dittmer)
Lions too good for Tiges by 7 goals
Cats to beat Aspley by 6 goals

Last week all away teams won which blew my theory about home ground advantage and also blew my tipping lead- 1 out of 4 hopeless!

love footy

Rookie
May 16, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I believe that the players in qld r not ten years behind the other states it is the coaches they try to make athelets out of footballers the dont let the players show there flair they dont pick the players that can play the game they pick the ones that can run but have no ball skills in melb we have moved from the athelete to playes how have the skill to read play and have the skill to hit targets that it why qld ,nsw tas nt cant play against the melb sA WA SIDES

footyfanatic1

Senior List
Jun 21, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not so sure its a case of bias, i would think more a case of these are the blokes Cotter is comfortable working with, which needs to be the case for it to work.

A non club based head coach with a spread of assistants from different clubs would make sense to me. Davis and Watts are good appointments but thats it. Cotter, Crowley, Carlson pick one and move on. What about the coaches or assistants (even an under 18's coach!!!!!) from a few Brisbane clubs?

You know it makes sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back