Certified Legendary Thread Neale Daniher and the Big Freeze at the G #freezemnd

Remove this Banner Ad

BIG FREEZE AT THE G.png

You probably would have seen something about this, but let me be blunt.

Neale Daniher is dying. The Rev may very well be gone by this time next year.

He's dying of motor neurone disease - MND. MND is a disease that slowly paralyzes you - you lose your motor functions then your basic life functions. You end up unable to speak, eat, blink or breathe because of paralysis.

And there's no treatment or cure.

The Rev isn't taking this lying down. He's organised The Big Freeze at the G for Queens Birthday, where celebs will water slide into an ice bath.

But more is needed. Money is needed to try and find a treatment for 'The Beast' as Daniher calls it.

Two ways:
-Text FREEZE to 0400 064 064
- Donate at http://freezemnd.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Bastard of a disease, to make matter worse the brain is not affected so you 100% aware of what is occurring all the time.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-20/daniher-heads-big-freeze-at-the-g

NEALE Daniher is the face of the 'Big Freeze at the G' campaign, which aims to raise money to find a cure for motor neurone disease (MND).

Daniher, who played 82 games with Essendon before coaching Melbourne for 10 years, was diagnosed with MND two years ago.

The fundraising effort will culminate at the round 10 clash between Collingwood and Melbourne on Queen’s Birthday when some of Australia’s biggest football personalities will do a toboggan run into a giant pool containing two tonnes of ice.

The Big Freeze at the G campaign was inspired by the rousing success of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (MND is known as ALS in the US).

Tim Watson was the first celebrity nominated by Daniher, and since then Garry Lyon, Brian Taylor and Luke Darcy are among those to be nominated.

On Queen’s Birthday, Melbourne will have the AHG Walk to the G, with Daniher leading the walk from Federation Square at 12.30pm. Collingwood will have a separate walk from the Westpac Centre.

If you want to help raise money for MND research, go to www.freezemnd.com, or SMS the word FREEZE to 0400 064 064 to donate $5 and help freeze MND.

This is random but I remember hearing a sound byte on the radio one day when the Demons had been granted permission to train on Etihad stadium in the week leading up to the game.

Anyway, Neale was doing his press conference and cheerfully announced the news, but adding that Ian Collins had stipulated the players had to train in bare feet.

It was a perfectly timed bit of irreverence from the Rev, and managed to make me chuckle on the drive to work - no mean feat in itself!

Anyway, I'm off to donate to this very worthy cause.

Took a break from doing study for Neuro exam, suddenly have a rush of motivation. Thanks Neale.

Imagine what it would be like noticing how daily tasks become harder every single time you attempt them. How eventually, even passive functions like breathing and swallowing become difficult challenges you have to do think about, and do manually.
With the majority of illnesses, and injuries the brain does something to help you cope. Not with MND though. It all happens with your full knowledge.

Will donate despite being a poor student.
Horrible, horrible disease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a time when all the arguing on this site and all over the place becomes fruitless and worthless when you see a man of Danihers resolve.

So very sad and a prick of a disease.

#donate #donate #donate

I've become very interested in MND recently, and I recently had a weird dream. I dreamt that the person I cared about the most outside of my family had MND. I watched him deteriorate and crumble a la the great Hawking or Neale. The funny thing about your dreams is that you think they're actually happening, so I got to feel maybe a tiny tiny portion of the anguish that actual families feel and it was a terrible feeling. The only consolation was that I could wake up and get on with my day. Give generously! As a side note I'll put this link here for volunteering to help at events too. I genuinely believe if you've never volunteered or worked for some form of charity/not for profit you're missing out on appreciating the strength of human willpower.

http://m.mndaust.asn.au/Get-involved/Volunteer

I lost a good mate to MND. Watched his body rapidly deteriorate and fail him. By the end I was sharing a beer with him via a feeding tube direct to his gut and communicating via an electronic device for his speech. He would choke on his own saliva regularly.

It's a ******* brutal disease. Dig deep.

I donated the other night after watching Neale on 360- I just kinda wish they had gone a bit wider with this campaign. It started a few weeks ago nominating footy "celebrities" to get dunked in the ice, and I thought this would be a good way to keep it going for 3 weeks or so, by nominating celebs from various shows (radio/tv whatever), but the nominating of people stopped after about a week. Apparently just from Neale's appearance on AFL360 raised about $100,000 (a niche show on pay tv)- I can't help but think how much could have been raised if they had expanded it to a morning show (eg Sunrise or Today)- I'm sure Kochie or Karl would be happy to be involved.
Anyway, not trying to be negative- its a great cause and great to hear last night a company donated 31K to dress Robbo for the event! It was particularly poignant on 360 when neale mentioned how he may soon lose his vioce, so while he still has a voice he wanted to use it to help the cause :( Hopefully a cure can be found

Used to bump into Neale at work occasionally, and I tell ya, it was tough to see and hear him yesterday on SEN.

Inspirational is a word that gets bandied about too freely at times, but in this instance The Rev is the epitome of the word.

He seems to me to have gotten more resolve and talks a little better since the Watson interview (maybe just a bad day), which was so hard to see.

Hes been consistently having interviews or talking in the footy sphere since, notably lately the speech at Melbourne. And his couple of AFL360 interviews this year have been so phenomenal, of course the most recent I agree everyone must see it.

He hasn't brought me to tears since him going public, last night was just so powerful it got me big.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back