Multiplat Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
The newest Need for Speed game is again being developed by Criterion Games (creators or the Burnout series as well as the next gen NFS Hot Pursuit (2010). Looks to be similar to Burnout Paradise with the whole open world stuff but with the addition of cops. Hopefully the open world feature is actually relevant in this game, as in most NFS games since Underground 2 it's been pretty pointless.

Launch trailer at E3

Gameplay from E3

Looks like another good game by Criterion :thumbsu:

Yeah very much looking forward to this, despite my anger in the E3 thread about the Burnout series seemingly being killed off for it.

It does looks a lot like a Burnout Paradise sequel. Hopefully not Burnout Paradise Lite.

If it is like a BP sequel, it'll no doubt be a day one buy for me.

Dislike Frostbite 2, but everything else is interesting me.

The Frostbite 2 part is a big factor, because it just makes the game look so bland. Yeah it's 'realistic' or whatever bullshit DICE/EA want to throw at me, but it makes everything look silver/white/blue as well, which drains any life that Criterion usually bring to their graphics engine.

Burnout Paradise was an absolutely gorgeous game that still stands up with a majority of other games today and it ran at double the fps too!

I will keep an eye out as it's basically Burnout Paradise 2.0 and Burnout Paradise is quite literally the only racing game I've bought in just about ever (apart from Motorstorm 3 recently), it's certainly the only racing game I've played through twice.

• Banned
Yeah very much looking forward to this, despite my anger in the E3 thread about the Burnout series seemingly being killed off for it.

It does looks a lot like a Burnout Paradise sequel. Hopefully not Burnout Paradise Lite.

If it is like a BP sequel, it'll no doubt be a day one buy for me.

Burnout will make a come back... one day! I presume it will come back once Criterion Games' deal with EA to make NFS games ends but God knows when that will be.

Won't be buying it then.

I love racing against the comp on tracks, the last NFS didn't have that and that annoyed me.
Unfortunately it all comes down to engine constraints. In order to make the game look as good as possible and keep a consistent framerate the split-screen gameplay just can't be done. Split-Screen takes a lot of extra work to get working and optimised and with games needing to look as cutting edge as possible, it just means that cutting most of the graphical look in half isn't enticing to most gamers.

Really you have to be thankful for online being a big thing now as it gives you the same/similar experience, obviously it's harder now to get a bunch of mates and just have your own session, but at least you can get them in their own places potentially hundreds of KM's apart and have a good time. Will never forget the amazing times I had playing Goldeneye split screen with 3 mates, easily the best multiplayer gaming of my life.

Most Wanted is going for the Burnout Paradise style of online, in which you just roam around the city that acts as the lobby system and then just drive to objectives in the map to start an event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah unfortunately split screen games will soon die out completely i reckon. As games look better and better, it'll take to much effort to get them running smooth enough and pretty enough to have split screen.

Would end split screen boosters on CoD though, theres a win for gaming right there

Won't be buying it then.

I love racing against the comp on tracks, the last NFS didn't have that and that annoyed me.
Local multiplayer hasn't been in a Need for Speed game since Shift I think? As someone else mentioned local multiplayer split screen will die out soon as people are realising how much better online is - which will be a major feature in this game.

Criterion show off some open world gameplay.

Looks good, looks Burnout-y, although I wish it was 60fps (they do keep a nice sense of speed still thankfully), but the auto-log stuff makes me really interested as that would be awesome trying to beat everyone on your friends list to all Gates/Billboards, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back