Multiplat Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

A new Burnout and leaving the NFS franchise in their dust would be nice.
There is room in the market for both, although historically the NFS franchise has been much more popular.

NFS has always been about racing for me, if I wanted to crash into s**t and destroy I'd go play Burnout.

Give me NFS HP2 any day.
What about the remake of Hot Pursuit by Criterion a couple of years ago? Amazing game imo.

Always been a fan of the NFS series since day 1,but i had a go at Forza Horizon tonight at my mates place and from the 20 minutes of play i had i was hooked so i don't know which game to pick up.

Am still leaning towards Most Wanted cause i loved Burnout Paradise but also like the look of Forza Horizon

Hmmmmm decisions,decisions.

There is room in the market for both, although historically the NFS franchise has been much more popular.
There's a market for both, but the only market Criterion should be working on is the one they made and they started. Not one they've been forced into.

Always been a fan of the NFS series since day 1,but i had a go at Forza Horizon tonight at my mates place and from the 20 minutes of play i had i was hooked so i don't know which game to pick up.

Am still leaning towards Most Wanted cause i loved Burnout Paradise but also like the look of Forza Horizon

Hmmmmm decisions,decisions.
why_not_both.png

automatic fail for me.
no manual transmission and zero advanced configuration options for my g27 like feedback settings makes the steering extremely fidgety and extremely difficult to drive the very fast cars. fail

glad i didnt buy it

automatic fail for me.
no manual transmission and zero advanced configuration options for my g27 like feedback settings makes the steering extremely fidgety and extremely difficult to drive the very fast cars. fail

glad i didnt buy it
It's an arcade racer, it's not meant to have manual transmission or really any sort of wheel compatibility.

If you're looking for some form of simulated racing then you're on the wrong track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an arcade racer, it's not meant to have manual transmission or really any sort of wheel compatibility.

If you're looking for some form of simulated racing then you're on the wrong track.
Don't give me that patronising crap and suggest that i don't know what Need for Speed games are about. Every NFS in recent memory have had a manual transmission option and many of the previous games have had wheel settings. For a modern driving game (arcade or not) it's beyond belief they don't have such simple features

Wheels are fairly commonplace these days and there are plenty of low end cheap wheels on the market so plenty of people have them. The problem with NFSMW is when driving at speed the car becomes extremely twitchy and borderline undriveable. Games like Dirt 3 (an arcade racer with a manual transmission option) had similar problems but were easily solved with some simple wheel options

Don't give me that patronising crap and suggest that i don't know what Need for Speed games are about. Every NFS in recent memory have had a manual transmission option and many of the previous games have had wheel settings. For a modern driving game (arcade or not) it's beyond belief they don't have such simple features
Except for the last 3 Need for Speed games?

Maybe it was patronising because you don't know what Need for Speed games are about?

Except for the last 3 Need for Speed games?

Maybe it was patronising because you don't know what Need for Speed games are about?
Wrong

The Run and World didn't (Hot Pursuit in between those did) but pretty much everything else before that had an option for manual transmission and those best exemplified what the NFS series is about.

Wrong

The Run and World didn't (Hot Pursuit in between those did) but pretty much everything else before that had an option for manual transmission and those best exemplified what the NFS series is about.
Hot Pursuit did not.

perhaps you are correct. I'll refrain from arguing other than to say that if you think that because i was not aware that the previous 3 games in the series (2 of them regarded as the worst) didn't have a manual transmission option shows that i don't know about NFS, i would suggest to you that you play Underground(s), Carbon etc. as those games best represent the series.

i'll say no more as internet bitch fights are totally pointless

You obviously don't play many arcade racers then.

Loving the game although the lack of real structure although its refreshing to not be stuck with some crap ricer or car to start your career off and you can pretty much access most cars straight away! Anyone on ps3? Add me...good to have some more players to see if I can better your speed camera speeds and billboards ;)

PSN: LUKOZADE_

not sure where in my posts i mentioned SHIFT?

You were talking about how a bunch of recent NFS games had manual gear shifting. I was just floating the idea that if the games you were alluding to were the SHIFT ones (since you never actually listed the specific games with the function) then that doesn't really belong in the argument.

Have to say the more I'm playing this game, the more I'm really liking it.

Some of my early thoughts on it (with some minor spoilers)...

I haven't played the original Most Wanted, so maybe some features new to me in this, have come from that, but I'm a massive fan of the Burnout series (my favourite racing series, even the first one I got right into), so I'm only looking at it from that perspective. To me, it may be titled Need For Speed, but it feels like Burnout.

I'm really liking the different car setup, and races connected to the cars. One thing with BP, is that besides the car specific races, there was no need to use certain cars, but this one it seems forces you to use every car for multiple races, and build up each car and gain points for the next most wanted level. It's a great way of doing it I think. At first I weren't overly keen on only 5 races per car, thinking there wasn't much to the game, but now that I've unlocked quite a few cars, I can see that the number of races are adding up quickly, and with this setup, the difficulty level will be challenging throughout.

Someone earlier asked if it is open world - it is, but what is different to Burnout Paradise I think, is that it is setup more like individual tracks. That may sound like a bad thing for some (I personally liked the open world of BP), but it's not. It still has shortcuts- and it is a lot like Burnout Paradise, however it's mainly just because of the map design - the city does not really have the CBD grid type section from BP, meaning that the tracks don't have very different routes like BP (around the CDB area). To me it's feeling a little more like Burnout 2 or 3 track wise than Paradise did, or more like the left side of the BP map.

That said, I'm only up to around Wanted car number 6 or 7, so have barely played it yet (4-5 hours?), and have only stuck to single player, other than about 30mins with one mate online. So my opinion of MW may still change. From BP, it's missing the crash mode replacement (I forget what the BP version was called) - but that was pretty crappy anyway. But that about it I think? It has takedowns, jumps, gates etc.

It seems like a more refined BP - most things are still there, but it's just structured differently.

The police chases are good fun, and challenging at higher levels - I had one pursuit go for what seemed like 10mins, before I were busted. Maybe I haven't learnt the trick to it yet?

Also liking very much, the friends stats showing up in single player.

Plus Muse Butterflies and Hurricanes as the game intro song - can't get much better than that. :)

Like I said, I haven't really tried multiplayer too much, and apparently that's where this game shines, but if anyone is a fan of single player Burnout series, from an early look, I don't think you will be disappointed with this. I weren't too sure about it at first, but now that I'm starting to see more of it, I'm really liking it. Only thing I can't see yet is how big the game is compared to BP, but I can tell there has to be at least ~100+ races too it, which I think BP had around 120?

Only disappointing thing for me, is I am not sure there is a place for Burnout series to continue any more. It is basically Burnout Paradise 2. Unless they can bring back the proper/awesome crash mode to the Burnout series perhaps? Car crash damage also doesn't seem as extreme - crashes are still good, but you don't seem to deform the cars as much as BP - maybe I'm remembering that wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back