Need help. Who is this and what year is that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is this?

7240244516_fdf64ca0d4.jpg

What year is this photo from?

7240267148_c1cb9b32ef.jpg

For the purpose it is required for, I am hoping someone can say with 100% certainty what the answers are.

Thanks in advance.

I think the team might be from 1944. I'm confident, but not 100% certain.

I've narrowed it down to being somewhere from 1944 to 1947. Jarvis and Johnstone started in 1944, and Fred Hughson finished in 1947.

Is that Vic Chanter back row, far left? He started in 1946.

I've narrowed it down to being somewhere from 1944 to 1947. Jarvis and Johnstone started in 1944, and Fred Hughson finished in 1947.

Is that Vic Chanter back row, far left? He started in 1946.

It could be. Here's my attempt to name them:
?, Norm Johnstone, ?, Bert Clay, ?, Allan Fields, Eddie Hart, ?, ?
?, Clen Denning, ?, Allan Ruthven, Fred Hughson, ?, Noel Price, ?
Noel Jarvis

They were all around in both 1944 & 1946. At first look, I thought Dan Murray was the back right & Keith Stackpole the middle right, which made me think it must be 1944. On reflection the middle right doesn't look stocky enough to be Stacky & the back left looks more like Chanter than the back right looks like Murray. That's making 1946 appear more likely.

Hopefully someone else will be able to spot any mistakes I've made & identify another player or two, which will make the year obvious. There are heaps of team photos at the FFC display at Docklands & they've probably got a few from around that era at the Fitzroy Shop in Mordialloc too.

It could be. Here's my attempt to name them:
?, Norm Johnstone, ?, Bert Clay, ?, Allan Fields, Eddie Hart, ?, ?
?, Clen Denning, ?, Allan Ruthven, Fred Hughson, ?, Noel Price, ?
Noel Jarvis

They were all around in both 1944 & 1946. At first look, I thought Dan Murray was the back right & Keith Stackpole the middle right, which made me think it must be 1944. On reflection the middle right doesn't look stocky enough to be Stacky & the back left looks more like Chanter than the back right looks like Murray. That's making 1946 appear more likely.

Hopefully someone else will be able to spot any mistakes I've made & identify another player or two, which will make the year obvious. There are heaps of team photos at the FFC display at Docklands & they've probably got a few from around that era at the Fitzroy Shop in Mordialloc too.

Could the player on the far left of the middle row be Jack Toohey? He is number 70 in this photo set.

He played from 1947 - 1952, which would mean it would have to be a 1947 team photo.

Could the player on the far left of the middle row be Jack Toohey? He is number 70 in this photo set.

He played from 1947 - 1952, which would mean it would have to be a 1947 team photo.
That certainly looks like him. Al the blokes I've named were still there in 1947, as was Claude Curtin, who might be 5th from the right in the back row.

Try again:
?, Norm Johnstone, ?, Bert Clay, Claude Curtin, Allan Fields, Eddie Hart, ?, ?
Jack Toohey, Clen Denning, ?, Allan Ruthven, Fred Hughson, ?, Noel Price, ?
Noel Jarvis

Who is this?

7240244516_fdf64ca0d4.jpg

What year is this photo from?

7240267148_c1cb9b32ef.jpg

For the purpose it is required for, I am hoping someone can say with 100% certainty what the answers are.

Thanks in advance.

Team photo - in row of players seated I think the third from right is Bob Miller. He played with Fitzroy 1946-1950 [later carved out legendary career as player and coach with City/City-South in Nth Tas FA]
see Examiner (Launceston) pic of him here in early 1951:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/52804515

Suspect photo is taken in 1947 as that is a year 'Roys made finals during Miller's time at club, and does seem quite a large crowd in background.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could well be, the croucher. I also think the guy on the far right, sitting down, looks like Alan McLaughlin, who also played from 1946 to 1950.

Picture 11

alanmclaughlin1950.jpg

That OP Photo post looks a lot David Rhys Jones with black hair:D

Miller & McLaughlin both seem right from those photos. I'd never heard of either of them. :)

It looks more & more like the year is 1947.

We're doing well.

?, Norm Johnstone, ?, Bert Clay, Claude Curtin, Allan Fields, Eddie Hart, ?, ?
Jack Toohey, Clen Denning, ?, Allan Ruthven, Fred Hughson, Bob Miller, Noel Price, Alan McLaughlin
Noel Jarvis

1947 First Eighteen; Vic Chanter, Norm Johnstone, Reg Nicholls, Bert Clay, Claude Curtin, Allan Fields, Eddie Hart, George Hoskins, Leo Monaghan, Jack Toohey, Dick Kennedy, Clen Denning, Allan Ruthven, Fred Hughson, Bob Miller, Noel Price, Alan McLaughlin and Noel Jarvis.

Cheers! I was able to find the "tricky" players and put names to their faces. A book put together by Jim Main titled "FITZROY", was the best I had as far as references go. ;)

Here is a team photo from 1938. Photo album here.

ffc1938.jpg

Fred and Mick Hughson have been marked. And I recognise Denning, Curcio, Gillespie-Jones and Smallhorn. Anyone know any of the others?

Here is a team photo from 1938. Photo album here.

ffc1938.jpg

Fred and Mick Hughson have been marked. And I recognise Denning, Curcio, Gillespie-Jones and Smallhorn. Anyone know any of the others?
:eek: This is going to be difficult. Apologies to the Hughson family, as this is not from 1938. Noel Price is sitting next to Frank Curcio. Price began with the club in 1939! Anyway, after searching through Jim Main's book, FITZROY and checking statsrleague. I am able to identify; ?, Arthur Hart, Mick Hughson, Fred Hughson, Arch Knott, ?, ?, ?, Clen Denning, ?, Noel Price, Frank Curcio, 'Mickey' Sharp, Bernie Treweek, ?, Audley Gillespie-Jones, 'Chicken' Smallhorn, ? and Bruce Calverley.

:eek: This is going to be difficult. Apologies to the Hughson family, as this is not from 1938. Noel Price is sitting next to Frank Curcio. Price began with the club in 1939! Anyway, after searching through Jim Main's book, FITZROY and checking statsrleague. I am able to identify; ?, Arthur Hart, Mick Hughson, Fred Hughson, Arch Knott, ?, ?, ?, Clen Denning, ?, Noel Price, Frank Curcio, 'Mickey' Sharp, Bernie Treweek, ?, Audley Gillespie-Jones, 'Chicken' Smallhorn, ? and Bruce Calverley.

Just to put forth further evidence (confusion?) into the mix, Noel Price didn't play a senior game until 1939, but he was there in 1938 according to this:

1st June 1938

New players last night were Ivan Wightman, a half-forward from Marysville and Noel Price, who formerly played at Warri, in the Gippsland district.

It looks like a photo of the senior team, but maybe it was for a charity match at the end of the season?

:confused:A Charity Match! My "guess" is Round 2 of 1939 at Brunswick Street Oval. Fitzroy took on St. Kilda, in our club's first home match for the season. This was the only home game that Mickey Sharp played for that year. Incidently, the late Mick Sharp employed my father as his gardener for many years up to his passing, about ten years ago. I also had the pleasure of working for him too! Morning Tea at Mick's place was terrific. Plenty of great yarns were shared and if he was still around, he'd be able to help us name the players we're after!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back