Neil Young about to unleash Crazy Horse

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I had a couple guys beside me who cracked the sads as well. One stalked off to the bar, the other sat there screeching 'OLD MAN LOOK AT MY LIFE!!!!!' inbetween every song.

Guy sitting down in front of me was the best. Didnt move or react to anything all night - until the opening riff of 'Hey Hey My My'. When the drums kicked in he went into what looked like an epilectic fit of some kind for about 30 seconds, but that wore him out and he proceeded to not move again for the rest of the night

Yeah I had a couple guys beside me who cracked the sads as well. One stalked off to the bar, the other sat there screeching 'OLD MAN LOOK AT MY LIFE!!!!!' inbetween every song.

Guy sitting down in front of me was the best. Didnt move or react to anything all night - until the opening riff of 'Hey Hey My My'. When the drums kicked in he went into what looked like an epilectic fit of some kind for about 30 seconds, but that wore him out and he proceeded to not move again for the rest of the night

Haha I can just imagine it!! Screaming out "Johnny Rotten" a couple of times and then falling back to sleep!!

If anyone is interested in a $300 Section A ticket for the Day On the Green show tomorrow at the Geelong winery I have one available for $150 and a lift down and back from Richmond.

PM if interested.

May not check messages for a couple of hours as Old Shakey is about to hit the stage at Rod Laver.

Another great show tonight - just as good if not better than Wednesday at The Plenary.

Crowd was more into it and Neil and the Horse seemed more into it.

Great to see the set changed up early and hear Love to Burn - definitely set a rocking tone.

A real guitargasm solo in Ramada Inn, Cortez seemed a little slower than Wednesday night.

Pleasantly surprised to hear Welfare Mothers get an airing - ******* Up was plenty of fun and a fine encore of Mr Soul and Roll Another Number.

I'd be over the moon if Cowgirl in the Sand gets a run tomorrow.

Set list
01. Powderfinger
02. Love To Burn
03. Born In Ontario
04. Walk Like A Giant
05. Hole In The Sky
06. Heart Of Gold
07. Twisted Road
08. Singer Without A Song
09. Ramada Inn
10. Cinnamon Girl
11. Cortez The Killer
12. F*!#in' Up
13. Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll
14. Welfare Mothers
15. Sedan Delivery
16. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
---
17. Mr. Soul
18. Roll Another Number

I can just hear that suspended G chord firing up Powderfinger for an great opener. Was there any banter between Neil and Billy on Welfare Mothers. Cheques in the Mail!!! A song only the Horse could come up with

We got about 20 minutes of Like a Hurricane on Wednesday as the encore.

I'm really hoping that Cowgirl in the Sand will get a run this evening.

I'm calling Ramada Inn up there as good as anything Neil and the Horse have ever done.

wow what a ******* gig. that was my kind of shakey.
loved the feedback/drone sesh after walk like a giant; the original sunn o))) :)
i agree about ramada inn, blackshadow. it was sensational.

born in ontario is a bad, bad song though.

wow what a ******* gig. that was my kind of shakey.
loved the feedback/drone sesh after walk like a giant; the original sunn o))) :)
i agree about ramada inn, blackshadow. it was sensational.

born in ontario is a bad, bad song though.

Born In Ontario is a light hearted tune sort of what Walk On was to On The Beach and the title track was to Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, not as good as those songs but is the type of peppy song that Neil uses to add a bit of zing.

I would have preferred them play She's Always Dancing instead of Ontatario but I reckon they do it for the tempo and the flow more than anything.

Can't wait for a DVD to come out from this tour, they have given us Aussies something special and note the doubters comments have dropped right off once he changed up the show and played the venues the Horse thrive in :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay peeps, so based on my AMAZING experience at the Brisbane show last week, I raced out and bought some albums. *I went into the show knowing less than zero about Neil Young.

I got: Rust Never Sleeps, Freedom, Harvest. Did I do good? Would have picked up the album they were promoting but JB didn't have it :(

http://kat.ph/neil-young-discography-1968-2007-44-albums-mp3-320k-t560287.html

Should cover pretty much everything.

He unleashed 3 hours of awesome at The Plenary tonight.

Highlights Cortez the Killer (sublime), Sedan Delivery, Barstool Blues, Hey hey My My, Ramada Inn, Walk Like a Giant and more.

Extended Like a Hurricane as the encore was up there as well.

Cortez you lucky bastard.

It started raining hard as Crazy Horse played Cinnamon Girl, when they finished they stopped and Neil was pointing up at the roof as it poured with rain, initially we thought the stage roof must have been leaking but he was gesturing for the organ to be lowered for Like Hurricane (Frank Sampedro plays it).

They launched into Like a Hurricane and the rain got heavier and started blowing in on to the stage, it was like Neil was standing under a hose as he was playing and singing - he didn't stop though he just powered through - it was sheer magic. One of the greatest moments I've ever experienced at a concert.

He also managed to get a couple of "towel solos" in while trying to dry Old Black as he kept playing.

After things were dried out a bit we were treated to a blistering Rockin in the Free World - the only time played on this Australian tour.

Mr Soul as the first song in the encore was devastating. Set was a bit shorter tonight (I don't know if the rain cut things short a bit) it ran for 2 hours 10 mins.

The Set List
1. Love And Only Love
2. Powderfinger
3. Born In Ontario
4. Walk Like A Giant
5. Hole In The Sky
6. Heart Of Gold
7. Ramada Inn
8. Cinnamon Girl
9. Like A Hurricane
10. Rockin' In The Free World
11. Sedan Delivery
-
12. Mr. Soul
13. Roll Another Number

I truly awesome experience. One more song would have topped it off (Hey Hey My My or another accoustic number) but it was amazing to be there in the cold and rain. I suspect Rocking in the Free world was a but of a thank you to the crowd for sharing the "like a hurricane" experience with him. Or at least I'd like to think he threw that song in there at the last moment. It was the perfect follow up.

Been listening to Freedom, Rust Never Sleeps and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere for the last three weeks. Loving it. Freedom probably my favourite. Have Harvest as well but haven't played it as much for some reason. Definitely in debt to my mate who dragged me along to the gig.

Been listening to Freedom, Rust Never Sleeps and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere for the last three weeks. Loving it. Freedom probably my favourite. Have Harvest as well but haven't played it as much for some reason. Definitely in debt to my mate who dragged me along to the gig.

Go check out the SNL performances of Freedom songs "No More" and "Keep on Rockin In The Free World" from 1989. For me both acoustic and electric readings of "Crime In The City" are up there with his best performances, in particular his bridge school performance

Go check out the SNL performances of Freedom songs "No More" and "Keep on Rockin In The Free World" from 1989. For me both acoustic and electric readings of "Crime In The City" are up there with his best performances, in particular his bridge school performance

Love both of these, probably my two favourite NY songs so far. Still not sure which version of '...Free World' on the Freedom album I enjoy more, both rock.

So now I'm looking for an album that is closer to what I saw at the live show. Which Crazy Horse albums more closely resemble this? I'm looking squarely at Ragged Glory.

Love both of these, probably my two favourite NY songs so far. Still not sure which version of '...Free World' on the Freedom album I enjoy more, both rock.

So now I'm looking for an album that is closer to what I saw at the live show. Which Crazy Horse albums more closely resemble this? I'm looking squarely at Ragged Glory.

Ragged Glory and Psychedelic Pill also Zuma :)

From what I have heard there was a mention in a few articles toward the end of the tour that a DVD is possible this year, The Plenary Show and Perth I know were recorded in their entirety. I would think a better than good chance considering it is likely the last tour of Neil and the Horse, we hope not but Billy and Ralph are close to 70 and Neil is likely to do a few spots with CSNY to promote the box set of their 74' tour, well CSN are hoping and the unfinished business with Buffalo Springfield, his own solo career and the many different projects he undertakes to keep his quirky mind ticking. I was just listening the other day to the Geelong Day on the Green set and "Like A Hurricane" of the tour where it was raining and Neil kept playing and drying off Old Black with a towel and his coat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back