Netflix Aust & NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, can someone tell me why i would want to pay money for netflix that doesnt have every show, but i can just organise to get onto a VPN for $10-12 a month and technically download any show i want.

Am i missing something here?
Its illegal is most cases
You won't get caught with a VPN, but you are still technically breaking the law

Its illegal is most cases
You won't get caught with a VPN, but you are still technically breaking the law

I have no problem with paying for a netflix or anything like that, but due to the foxtel rights on alot of shows, everything i want to watch wont be on Netflix.
I know the US version is better, but isnt the process for us to get the US version also breaking the law? (changing your IP address or some such, haven't looked this up yet)

Can i get the US version on my XBOX One without somehow ruining my online game experience? (changing to US)

Yeh I'm not sure on the legal specifics of changing IP's
Really the only two shows that I download off torrents are Person of Interest and The Blacklist

Both shows are on Free to air TV in America, so there is no cost associated with watching it over there
In Australia, both shows are also on Free to air TV, but our networks are at least 2 months behind schedule. I consider it fair game to download programs like this, given there is no cost associated with viewing the program in its country of origin

Game of Thrones on the other hand is HBO owned, and to get HBO in America you need to be on a cable subscription. Similarly in Australia Game of Thrones is locked into Foxtel which is also subscription based. Seeing as episodes are aired on the same day in both countries, I tend to agree that downloading a show like GOT should be illegal as you are merely trying to get away with not paying for a product that is designed to be subscription based

Ok, can someone tell me why i would want to pay money for netflix that doesnt have every show, but i can just organise to get onto a VPN for $10-12 a month and technically download any show i want.

Am i missing something here?
For the same reason you'd pay money to buy a DVD instead of walking into JB Hifi, tucking it into your coat and walking out.

Just a small look at the catalogues that Netflix US and UK have managed to build over time. The same thing will happen in Australia

Between US+UK Netflix (just a selection of shows that I think are decent or get good reviews)
24, 30 Rock, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Agents of Shield, Alias, Always Sunny in Philidelhpia, American Horror Story, An Idiot Abroad, Archer, Arrested Development, Arrow, Bates Motel, Battlestar Galactica, Better Call Saul, Black Books, Black Mirror, Bob's Burgers, Boss, Breaking Bad, Brooklyn 99, Buffy, Burn Notice, Californication, Cheers, Chuck, Community, Cosmos, Criminal Minds, Damages, David Attenborough, Derek, Dexter, Doctor Who, ESPN 30 for 30, Everybody Loves Raymond, Extras, Family Guy, Fargo, Frasier, Fresh Prince of Bellair, Friends, Fringe, Futurama, Glee, Gossip Girl, Greys Anatomy, Grimm, Hawaii Five-O, Homeland, House of Cards (both versions), House of Lies, House, How I Met Your Mother, Law and Order, Little Britain, Lost, Louie, Louis Theroux, Mad Men, Mash, Merlin, Mighty Boosh, Misfits, , Numbers, Nurse Jackie, Orange is the new Black, Parks and Recreation, Peep Show, Person of Interest, Portlandia, Prison Break, QI, Revenge, Rome, Scandal, Scrubs, Scrubs, Shameless, Sherlock, Skins, Sons of Anarchy, Star Trek, Stargate, Suits, Supernatural, That 70's Show, The A Team, The Blacklist, The Following, The Goodwife, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, The League, The Office (both versions), The Shield, The Twilight Zone, The Walking Dead, The West Wing, Top Gear, Twin Peaks, Utopia, Vampire Diaries, Veronica Mars, Weeds, Wilfred,

Those are just the TV Shows, I wont even start on the movies collection

Yeah I'm currently on Netflick and Stan one month trials.

Don't know if I'll continue on straight away. Stan has already lost because I can't watch it on my PS3 so I will finish that up once Better Call Saul is done. Netflick I might stick around for. Apparently alot more stuff will be uploaded by the next 30 days anyway.

I'll use the Stan one month trial when Better Call Saul finishes and I can watch it all in one go. But I'll be continuing and paying for Netflix simply because it's on my TV, PS3, PS4 and everything else. Stan is only on tablet as far as I've seen, pretty terrible they'd didn't get the apps sorted for every device.

Eventually the hope of course is that giants like netflix will approach content creators and just buy worldwide rights leaving antiquated models like foxtel in the cold, add that to their self produced titles

But seriously today made me laugh between the various papers going in to bat for their own streaming services and bad mouthing netflix at every opportunity the people who have no doubt in the past tried the old "I download because there is no way to get it why cant we have netflix here" have now moved to the new "netflix doesn't have anything * netflix"

Just suck it up and say hey I like free s**t so will continue to steal

I actually prefer Netflix to downloading stuff. Everything is in one place, you know you are going to get good quality and if you are bored one night you have heaps of options in front of you to watch instead of asking people for suggestions.

Would be happy to pay for it, but I just know the crappy internet jn my suburb would struggle to stream it and it'd be a waste of my money. Anyone else in average internet areas tried it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be happy to pay for it, but I just know the crappy internet jn my suburb would struggle to stream it and it'd be a waste of my money. Anyone else in average internet areas tried it?
You only need a line speed of 1.5mbps (180kb download speed) to stream SD
Around 3.5mpbs (430kb download speed) to stream in HD

Wanted to browse and see what they had on offer, ended up just watching the first two episodes of Friday Night Lights - the most watchable show in the history of television.

Got to say between this and Stan I'm just finding streaming so much more preferable to downloading, even if it costs.

I was running downloads and netflix at the same time last night during peak time and everything worked perfectly

Its worth getting one of the 30 day trials just to see how it goes you can always cancel

Signed up for the Australian version today, but was surprised how easy it was to change it to the USA version. Loving it so far.

We're on ADSL2+ (from memory) but we're a fair distance from the exchange so it turns out our internet speed isn't all that flash hot. We've used Stan and Netflix. Stan can be a little spotty in terms of buffering (and last night the chromecast kept cutting out through Better Call Saul so it would dump us back to the "ready to chromecast" screen that Stan has) but Netflix, at least last night on the first time we've used it, was fine.

I have TERRIBLE internet speeds, I'm stuck on ADSL due to my area not being updated in 30 years; ask anyone I play online with and they'll tell you I have spud internet. But I've had absolutely no troubles at all watching netflix in HD.

I have TERRIBLE internet speeds, I'm stuck on ADSL due to my area not being updated in 30 years; ask anyone I play online with and they'll tell you I have spud internet. But I've had absolutely no troubles at all watching netflix in HD.

What are their names and addresses and daytime contact number so we can verify...pronto.

Just a small look at the catalogues that Netflix US and UK have managed to build over time. The same thing will happen in Australia

Between US+UK Netflix (just a selection of shows that I think are decent or get good reviews)
24, 30 Rock, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Agents of Shield, Alias, Always Sunny in Philidelhpia, American Horror Story, An Idiot Abroad, Archer, Arrested Development, Arrow, Bates Motel, Battlestar Galactica, Better Call Saul, Black Books, Black Mirror, Bob's Burgers, Boss, Breaking Bad, Brooklyn 99, Buffy, Burn Notice, Californication, Cheers, Chuck, Community, Cosmos, Criminal Minds, Damages, David Attenborough, Derek, Dexter, Doctor Who, ESPN 30 for 30, Everybody Loves Raymond, Extras, Family Guy, Fargo, Frasier, Fresh Prince of Bellair, Friends, Fringe, Futurama, Glee, Gossip Girl, Greys Anatomy, Grimm, Hawaii Five-O, Homeland, House of Cards (both versions), House of Lies, House, How I Met Your Mother, Law and Order, Little Britain, Lost, Louie, Louis Theroux, Mad Men, Mash, Merlin, Mighty Boosh, Misfits, , Numbers, Nurse Jackie, Orange is the new Black, Parks and Recreation, Peep Show, Person of Interest, Portlandia, Prison Break, QI, Revenge, Rome, Scandal, Scrubs, Scrubs, Shameless, Sherlock, Skins, Sons of Anarchy, Star Trek, Stargate, Suits, Supernatural, That 70's Show, The A Team, The Blacklist, The Following, The Goodwife, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, The League, The Office (both versions), The Shield, The Twilight Zone, The Walking Dead, The West Wing, Top Gear, Twin Peaks, Utopia, Vampire Diaries, Veronica Mars, Weeds, Wilfred,

Those are just the TV Shows, I wont even start on the movies collection
Man I hope they pick up the ESPN 30 for 30s eventually. That would be sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back