Neutral Supporters; Are you comfortably satisfied?

Do you have comfortable satisfaction that EFC used banned substances?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkinspired

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've listened to a fair bit of media yesterday and I'm just blown away with the response to the 'not guilty' verdict. Everyone seems to think Essendon are vindicated? Hird has apologised and now we forgive him?

I don't blame the players and I'm happy for them to clear their names, but the club deserves far greater punishment. 2 Million dollar fine and a paid Holiday for Hird is not just for dragging the game through the mud for the last two years.

ASADA are made out to look like the enemy for not having enough evidence. We all know that Essendon did the wrong thing. It's like OJ Simpson. We all knew he committed the crime he was acquitted of. He got his in the end and I hope Essendon do too.

Despite the positive media reaction, EFC have shamed the game for years and it will not be forgotten in this generation.

General feeling is that EFC engaged in systematic doping and has got away with it. Penalties imposed under a different guise were barely adequate.

People are entitled to hold this view, EFC supporters are entitled to say "we don't give a s**t".

The evidence didn't meet the required threshold. I am entirely comfortable with that. We shits me is the public veneration of all things EFC. Frankly it makes my stomach churn.

Well, i just posted on our board. I am bothered that we wont get to see the full decision unless the players agree to make it public. I am guessing it was something like we know you were doping, but because of your poor record keeping we can't prove it. Makes the governance penalties now seem very light.

Well, i just posted on our board. I am bothered that we wont get to see the full decision unless the players agree to make it public. I am guessing it was something like we know you were doping, but because of your poor record keeping we can't prove it. Makes the governance penalties now seem very light.
From The Age, this morning...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rdkeeping-was-deplorable-20150331-1mc8hi.html

In the judgment that was released only to the parties, the tribunal chaired by David Jones said there had been a "deplorable absence of records in the program relating to its administration".

In finding that it could not be comfortably satisfied that the players took the banned drug thymosin beta-4, the tribunal noted that "it is the responsibility of the club to ensure that complete and accurate records are kept".

The tribunal also lashed the consent forms signed by players, calling them "alarmingly inadequate" amid an injecting program run by club official Stephen Dank.

Much to the chagrin of EFC we still get to call them drug cheats.

I'm happy that the players got off but I'm just dumbfounded that nobody knows what the thousands of injections were. The other issue for me is Hird kept saying that he wanted the truth to come out and that nothing wrong had been done and yet he and the Bombers went through the courts numerous times to suppress evidence ?

Let's just get on with footy now !

You know do you?

:D ok matey.

Not keeping records was a deliberate act to hide or cloud the issue. Clear & simple. I'm not fussed about the players being let off by a lack of evidence, but the club, Hird & Dank did this deliberately, EFC went to the AFL & dobbed themselves in , for what? Hird was given a $million holiday, he has apologised for the club, but not apologised for any involvement he had.

The whole saga is a disgrace on Essendon FC. They did what they did. No one else. The players said they were injected, with something. That alone is illegal highly suspicious. Injections were done away from the club Doctor, off site from the club. A suspicious.

If ASADA couldnt prove their case it is because facts were hidden in a whitewash of the real facts by Dank & EFC. That is why the stink & stench will remain over EFC.

Hird couldnt care less. He only cares if it affects him.

If you only care about getting away with this then good luck to you. But it is all wrong. Hird is the main culprit with ultimate responsibility.

I am hopeful that the tribunal is permitted to release its report and that it contains a logical rationale as to why they felt ASADA could not make its case to the comfortable satisfaction of the tribunal. If so, excellent, I will be happy to see the case wrapped up and the players free to play. However, I am not sure that either will happen.

I am also hopeful that at some point in the near future that Stephen Dank will be able to provide clarity to the players regarding what they were injected with. Again, I am not sure that this will ever occur.

I would also like for the Essendon Football Club to publicly drop the "we don't know what the players were given but we are sure that it wasn't illegal" line. It makes them look pretty bad. IMO they have taken as little responsibility as possible for this and have managed their public face from a position of whatever does the least damage.

In short, I'm not yet comfortably satisfied, but would be if the tribunal, Dank and the club come clean. And when I say clean I mean in a way that actually makes sense and doesn't reek of protected interests. Personally, I don't think that this is too much to ask, especially if there really is nothing to hide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be comfortably satisfied if dank goes down like a 2 bit hooker. I think poor documentation at multiple levels (not just essendon but charters and Alavi) have made it impossible for the tribunal to reach comfortable satisfaction as to what was given, which makes charging individual players difficult.
I am comfortably satisfied that efc sought to reach an advantage and engaged a person who was known to make records disappear.

all I want to know is this: I've seen so many opposition posters here and, hehe, particularly on the Carlton board (now that's a cracking read!) who are complaining that the case fell apart because they couldn't subpoena Charter and Alavi, and that maybe CAS can do so.

Here's my question: is anyone who saying that man enough to admit that they bagged Chip mercilessly for his "hanging by a thread" article that got 350 pages worth of posts, and that they were wrong and Chip was right?

I don't think the verdict was fair, but I'm not surprised. The consequences for an enormous business would have been so severe had a guilty verdict been delivered. Frankly, I wouldn't want the AFL to have to wear it. Australian football is a fragile thing.

I'd rather the health of league be prioritised over a fair verdict in this case.

We all know it happened. Thankfully, they didn't receive any real benefit from it. If they'd won a flag, maybe it'd be different, but they were mediocre.

No need to go trolling, which is what you've done all morning

Well I'm making a point but you can't see it.

What's the point of this thread? Really? Is it some hope that the decision will be magically overturned? Or does everyone who can't swallow the bitter pill need their uninformed opinions validated?

Can just one of the 34 agree to release the reasons?

I am sure a past player will be happy to take a sum of $$$ to release it.

I will reserve my opinion until I have read it. If it looks like they got away with cheating then I don't think anyone will be happy. The game will be a sham.
If the evidence is clearly not there then lets play ball. EFC can lick their wounds and regret the day they ever asked ASADA in to find out what went on in 2012.

Still many questions will remain.

-How could they not know what gear they were injecting into their players?
-Why did the witnesses suddenly change their tune?
-How were EFC allowed to keep their 1993 premiership ??
-Exactly what happened with AOD?
-What is Dank's story? Why did both sides avoid him?

What's the point of this thread? Really? Is it some hope that the decision will be magically overturned? Or does everyone who can't swallow the bitter pill need their uninformed opinions validated?
dude, we should know, we had it "pointed out" to us often enough.

Clearly this is the Anger phase. We've had Denial, with Bargaining (please appeal!!) and Depression starting to hit. Acceptance is a looooong way off

I'm comfortably satisfied that they used banned substances.

Because AOD9604 was banned.

I'm also comfortably satisfied that ASADA didn't choose to go after them for it, and that 3 independent judges ruled unanimously that there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute the players for TB4.

Essendon copped a big whack, the players copped a big whack (the last 2 years would have been hell for them), that's enough of a deterrent for me.

Let's move on.

Probably mostly the latter. But quite a bit of human communication is about things that frustrate people. Why got players strange injection nobody seems to know about? really I would to death when somebody tried to give me an injection I don't know much about. Can't be more obvious. Similar obvious is that consequences to player were unbearable by the league somehow...

Hope your German is better then my English...

Back