New academy bidding system

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people not realise how this new system will really, really screw us on the trade table? If other clubs don't know what picks we'll have because of an academy player then how the hell can we do a trade? In the past the academies only affected a single round, but the new system can potentially affect all our picks even into the future. Just so ******* outrageous.
Trade week will be before it and we're free to trade openly. We just have to be a little careful to make sure we still have enough picks to grab academy guys if we want them but it could open up opportunities if we don't rate next year's draft as high we can still trade this year and still pick up academy guys but get pushed back next year. Allows you to accelerate a rebuild actually

Do people not realise how this new system will really, really screw us on the trade table? If other clubs don't know what picks we'll have because of an academy player then how the hell can we do a trade? In the past the academies only affected a single round, but the new system can potentially affect all our picks even into the future. Just so ******* outrageous.

Trades occur before these academy picks, which now occur during the draft. Everyone will know what picks a team has when trading. It's only when it comes to the draft that the club will have to figure out how to match the value.

If the clubs didn't want him, its not really a freebie.

That's a nice logic failure. Might as well apply this to any rookie ever taken by any club.

The only way it's going to affect multiple or future picks is if the player were getting outweighs the picks we have significantly. The Heeney example is nearly the worst case scenario possible.

It should actually give us more flexibility at the trade table. I'm interested to see the possible flow-on affects come the trade period.

Say Keayes is rated in the 15-20 range, normally this would use our 2nd rounder. With the new system we can still potentially trade this pick for an established player like we did with Christensen last year, and look to make the required points for Keayes using two 3rd rounders.

Sydney look certain to use their first round selection on Mills, they could potentially swap this for a mid-high 2nd and 3rd round netting them more points. Giving a lower side access to another first round selection

If we were to say have picks 16 and 20, and a team bids pick 12 on someone (Keays), do we need to use pick 16 as part of our match, or can we choose to use 20 plus some other later picks?

If we were to say have picks 16 and 20, and a team bids pick 12 on someone (Keays), do we need to use pick 16 as part of our match, or can we choose to use 20 plus some other later picks?
You have to use your next pick. If it outweighs the points you get a later pick back.

You have to use your next pick. If it outweighs the points you get a later pick back.

Is that only the case when multiple picks are used ?

The example with Darcy Moore, shows that Collingwood just use pick 6 and lose the remaining 249points, or will pick 6 be downgrade to pick 52?

Is that only the case when multiple picks are used ?

The example with Darcy Moore, shows that Collingwood just use pick 6 and lose the remaining 249points, or will pick 6 be downgrade to pick 52?
Pretty sure it's the latter.

Theoretically all clubs would now see it as a finite value for each pick during trade week when doing upgrades/downgrades. In the past it was a good faith negotiation but now there are actually numbers of value to say whether it is a good/bad deal - and more importantly I guess so can draft watchers.

Theoretically all clubs would now see it as a finite value for each pick during trade week when doing upgrades/downgrades. In the past it was a good faith negotiation but now there are actually numbers of value to say whether it is a good/bad deal - and more importantly I guess so can draft watchers.
agreed. It adds clarity to evaluating trades.
Using points to value draft picks allows us to quantify trade value, but there are situations where clubs will prefer to move up down the draft order a bit and may be OK with sacrificing a few draft points to do so.

agreed. It adds clarity to evaluating trades.
Using points to value draft picks allows us to quantify trade value, but there are situations where clubs will prefer to move up down the draft order a bit and may be OK with sacrificing a few draft points to do so.

Sydney are in a good position this year to trade their first round draft pick, to help with their nominations i.e. Their first rounder for a high second and third round selections, netting them more nomination points.

I think a good list manager will be able to take advantage of the rules and flexibility and benefit the club even more. We could potentially move our 2nd rounder and make up Keayes nominated points from lower picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney are in a good position this year to trade their first round draft pick, to help with their nominations i.e. Their first rounder for a high second and third round selections, netting them more nomination points.

I think a good list manager will be able to take advantage of the rules and flexibility and benefit the club even more. We could potentially move our 2nd rounder and make up Keayes nominated points from lower picks.

That's a good point. In some situations, it could be a strategy to make trades that move the first pick down the draft order to increase the total draft points.

There will be plenty of other clubs that will place emphasis in moving up the draft order that will provide those trade opportunities. St Kilda is a prime example of that in the last couple of years.

Did anyone watch the president's round table on Fox Footy last night? I'm guessing the academies/footy in the northern states would've been covered so an overview would be greatly appreciated!

My take from the discussion was Pridham (Swans), Koch (Port) & Gordon (Dogs) thought they were essential, with Gordon & Koch OK with the revised value system (Pridham not so happy) ..... and Eddie .... well he thinks they are a good idea, so long as he can have one.
He actually made a comment that the Northern Academies could lead to a player challenging the Draft in court ...... another attempt to throw a spanner in the works.

He actually made a comment that the Northern Academies could lead to a player challenging the Draft in court ...... another attempt to throw a spanner in the works.

Usual Eddie BS. The draft system itself is prone to that if a player gets drafted somewhere he doesn't want to go (look at the NRL). The academies would play some tiny percent chance of that.

Usual Eddie BS. The draft system itself is prone to that if a player gets drafted somewhere he doesn't want to go (look at the NRL). The academies would play some tiny percent chance of that.

Agree. And did you notice that the hypothetical name that he used as the example of a player challenging the Draft was "Isaac Heeney".
Was one of several, what I thought were, snide swipes at Pridham/Swans.

Especially since they have to actually nominate for the academy so if they didn't want to go there they would go for the ND in the first place...

My take from the discussion was Pridham (Swans), Koch (Port) & Gordon (Dogs) thought they were essential, with Gordon & Koch OK with the revised value system (Pridham not so happy) ..... and Eddie .... well he thinks they are a good idea, so long as he can have one.
Thanks. Was hoping to hear Pridham challenge Eddie but sounds like the discussion was controlled

Kind of like when the current Carlton captain decided he did not want to come to the Lions, did not seem to be a drama with anyone then.

Thanks. Was hoping to hear Pridham challenge Eddie but sounds like the discussion was controlled

Actually thought Koch challenged Ed (several times)...his point on the population growth in Western Sydney and how the AFL needs to be growing the game there.... The importance of the academies to get home grown champions to boost supporter/corporate $'s.. (mentioned both NSW & Qld)...Getting that right was important to those clubs would see them adding to the equalization funds..

I think teams with academies should also have the option to draft an unchosen player when a bid comes in...

So, either the academy player or Player X from the draft :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back