Welcome New (and old) BigFooty Cats supporters - introduce yourself here!

Remove this Banner Ad

New to Big Footy, and new-ish to the Cats. But then, I didn't have the benefit of growing up with the AFL. I had to discover it accidentally during the 2010 Grand Final at a bar in Columbus, Mississippi, USA. Watched the whole game with a buddy while we tried to figure out the rules (we didn't). Then got to the end and we were shocked that they would have to play the whole game again. That right there turned me into a footy fan. About 6 months later, I remembered to look and see when the season was starting again. It was already round one. ESPN3 had a game ready to serve up, it was Cats vs. whoever (might have been St. Kilda maybe) and I was hooked. Made Geelong my team knowing nothing about them and have been a supporting member ever since.
Don't worry, the umpires seem to struggle with the rules as well.

And we've been watching the game most our lives and we still regularly scratch our head at decisions made during the match.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Welcome Joe

Reasonable year to hop on board in 2011!
How long did it take you to actually understand the game? I was talking to my boss just last week about how bloody hard it would be to explain the game to someone from scratch
I guess to really appreciate what I was watching it took most of the season. By the time finals rolled in I was comfortable with everything. I think I had the most trouble with holding the ball and timekeeping. Both were completely foreign concepts. The basics of the game went pretty quick, and things like high contact and the (to me) weird boundary rules were easy enough. But time on...ugh. That 2011 season the time on screen would run down to five minutes or so and then change to a count-up at over 20 minutes and it took me a few games to notice and then I spent a bunch of games trying to figure out what was going on and why games were always a different length until I finally gave up and starting reading about it. When I found an explanation that made sense, everything clicked and I've been good ever since. But they changed how they display match time on TV now so it doesn't matter anyway.

I'm only now just getting to where I notice tactics and strategies as I'm watching a game. Part of that is the limited view you get watching on TV. Blessing and a curse at the same time.

I guess to really appreciate what I was watching it took most of the season. By the time finals rolled in I was comfortable with everything. I think I had the most trouble with holding the ball and timekeeping. Both were completely foreign concepts. The basics of the game went pretty quick, and things like high contact and the (to me) weird boundary rules were easy enough. But time on...ugh. That 2011 season the time on screen would run down to five minutes or so and then change to a count-up at over 20 minutes and it took me a few games to notice and then I spent a bunch of games trying to figure out what was going on and why games were always a different length until I finally gave up and starting reading about it. When I found an explanation that made sense, everything clicked and I've been good ever since. But they changed how they display match time on TV now so it doesn't matter anyway.

I'm only now just getting to where I notice tactics and strategies as I'm watching a game. Part of that is the limited view you get watching on TV. Blessing and a curse at the same time.
Done be concerned re the holding the ball rule, we can't work it out either... Doesn't help they change the interpretation every bloody week almost!!

How many games would you watch? You will have to plan a trip over to see a game live (because of course it is that easy) :thumbsu:

Done be concerned re the holding the ball rule, we can't work it out either... Doesn't help they change the interpretation every bloody week almost!!

How many games would you watch? You will have to plan a trip over to see a game live (because of course it is that easy) :thumbsu:
oh so you invite joe to come over after 2 posts yet you dont invite me after 2000 posts and almost a year of posting?

i see how it is.:(

oh so you invite joe to come over after 2 posts yet you dont invite me after 2000 posts and almost a year of posting?

Yeah but you're from Tasmania

Yeah, you're right about the interpretation changing a lot. In general I think the AFL umps do a lot of things right but overall, the officiating is as consistently bad as anything I've seen in professional sports of any type. I could understand it more if it was just in the course of play. But goal reviews? Pssssshhhh. Inept is too kind.

I watch 3-5 games a weekend during the season. While I arbitrarily made the Cats my team that first week of 2011, my lack of history with the game means I don't really have much reason to dislike most other teams. Any animosity I have I come by honestly. For instance: Collingwood fans in the aggregate seem to be pretty classless; not a fan of Kevin Sheedy - if you're gonna talk big, you can't cry when someone tans your team's hide for your flappy mouth. So I'll watch other teams based on nothing more than I like how some of their players play. And I like the game in general. I wish I'd have grown up with it.
This week I'm watching Fremantle v North & Collingwood v Essendon on delay (no spoilers, please!), and our game live for sure. I'll probably put the Hawthorn game on as background while I catch up on office work Sunday.

I very much want to see a game live. It's on my list for sure. My plan for awhile was to aim for a finals visit that would cover two weekends, but then I found out they don't do tours at the Cattery that late in the season, so now I'm more likely to plan an early season visit, maybe targeting the Easter clash and the week before or after depending on the schedule.

KaraokeJoe whats the coverage of the afl like over there? ie, games broadcast per round, live or delayed, etc.
Coverage is GREAT. I think that 2011 was the first or second year that you could catch every single game of the season at AFLTV (or whatever it was that year). Which meant that I didn't have to rely on the one or two games a week that ESPN 3 was putting online or try to watch on YouTube which is always hit or miss. It costs me about $120 a year, I can now watch on my plasma, and every game is available live if I want to go to bed at 6pm and then wake up in the middle of the night. Or just stay up real late Friday or Saturday night here for your Saturday and Sunday games.

The best part about the coverage is, honestly, that the AFL gets zero news coverage here. So nobody can really spoil games for me. A few friends have watched more than a game or two but I'm really the only one who's into it. I know for a fact people are tired of hearing me evangelize. :)

G'day Joe

The best way to explain the game to newbies is...
it's like "Keeping Off". you try keep possession at all costs
You can only dispose of the ball by kicking or handball.
catching a kick (mark) or an infringement gives you a "free kick"
You can only tackle below the shoulders and above the knee.
The inconsistency in umpiring decisions can make the game hard to understand
but it is due to wanting to keep the ball moving and the game flowing.

The unique thing about Aussie Rules is that it can be played by all sizes and shapes,
from tall giants, big strong players to small fast players
as the coaches try to find and exploit a mismatch.

A final warning... after you've been watching AFL for a few years
you will start to find Gridiron boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all, new member here. Just joined today in anticipation for the season. Looking forward to being a member after lurking for a while :thumbsu:
Feels like you've been around forever now KCF lol

Hi all, new member here. Just joined today in anticipation for the season. Looking forward to being a member after lurking for a while :thumbsu:

Ditto!
I tried about half a dozen times to sign up tonight- threw up on my keyboard when I tried to write the winner of last year's GF and aborted about 5 other efforts. Finally got one of the kids to write it in for me.
I will never get over that experience!
You are welcomed + valued members already! Well done ladies! :hearts:

:) You're far too kind, coffeelover. My problems were due entirely to a combination of a) total incompetence with my iPhone and b) an allergic reaction to typing the name of the winner of last year's GF :(
They should find out which team you support, then ask questions according to that team! A Hawks question is just wrong on so many levels for a Geelong supporter!

He would invite you, but you get too cross when you're tagged :p

Hi all, just new, following cats from 2007(the year we came to Australia). The first AFL game I watched was the PF between Pies and Cats (actually I was with Collingwood at first, then after that game, more definitely I believed Cats is my style). I'm usually a diver(watching the threads, laughing, nodding, thinking, but no posting).

I still remember one day my wife and me was playing a ball on the grass and heard several horns from a passing car and the driver waved to us, looks saying hello (I guess because we're a Asian couple to play a AFL ball, may be not very usual).

Another day we found a tiny but well decorated Geelong Fan's pub in CCF(in the heart of Collingwood, nice), the runner is a senior Geelong supporter and the pub was actually very nice and we had a nice talk. But what's pity is we haven't got chance to go back to visit it after we moved up to SYD.

Why on Earth did Geelong trade Chappy, Pods, West and Josh Hunt for pretty much nothing? Surely they could have got some thing, especially from Essendon for Chapman. They just gave away 3 decent players as well as a star in Paul chapman. Chappy has been in amazing form so far this season, so I'm sure the bombers could have given the cats something in return.

Why on Earth did Geelong trade Chappy, Pods, West and Josh Hunt for pretty much nothing? Surely they could have got some thing, especially from Essendon for Chapman. They just gave away 3 decent players as well as a star in Paul chapman. Chappy has been in amazing form so far this season, so I'm sure the bombers could have given the cats something in return.
1) Welcome :)
2) Wrong thread.
3) We would have gotten nothing for each of the players mentioned. Chappy is the only one worth anything and no one would have seriously traded for him so he would have walked and been selected in the PS draft. We traded for "nothing" so the players could get to their clubs of choice right away and start training. We aren't in the habit of dicking players around.

Hi all, just new, following cats from 2007(the year we came to Australia). The first AFL game I watched was the PF between Pies and Cats (actually I was with Collingwood at first, then after that game, more definitely I believed Cats is my style). I'm usually a diver(watching the threads, laughing, nodding, thinking, but no posting).

I still remember one day my wife and me was playing a ball on the grass and heard several horns from a passing car and the driver waved to us, looks saying hello (I guess because we're a Asian couple to play a AFL ball, may be not very usual).

Another day we found a tiny but well decorated Geelong Fan's pub in CCF(in the heart of Collingwood, nice), the runner is a senior Geelong supporter and the pub was actually very nice and we had a nice talk. But what's pity is we haven't got chance to go back to visit it after we moved up to SYD.
If you tell SquishyKitty which part of Sydney you live in, YY, she will probably be able to tell you some good pubs in Sydney where the Cats fans meet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back